Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yasar University Izmir, don't do it!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if these posts ever really help, but if even one person thinks twice before joining Yasar University then it was worth posting.

Yes it does help, I now know there is a vacancy there, and just may apply!

p.s. why did you stay in a ghastly hell-hole for one solid, unadulterated trip around the sun?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curiosity getting the better of me, but isn't using upper case letters also considered standard English punctuation?

No matter. I for one will be avoiding Yasar in any case.
cmann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razycatlady obviously has problems but not being a mental hygienist I'm afraid I can't hep her, she should return to her cats who obviously understand and love her, pity she had to resort to cats, but then we have all met these bitter shrivelled up crazy cat ladies, TEFL is full of them.

My Yasar rant is over, I have no intention of going into the culinary makeup of the lunches, just take it from me they are vile, free but vile, should you wish to eat in one of the university run cafes you are free to do so but expect to pay $5 for a cheese sandwich.

The real and serious message in my post is quite simple: if you are thinking of joining Yasar University don't for the reasons I gave. Every foreign faculty member was desperate to get out and this year most did some without jobs to go to. Of those who are stating some have children (Yasar doesn't help with schooling) and others have just given up and have no where else to go. I was perhaps a bit harsh on the city but it is a hotbed of Turkish nationalism and strangers are not made welcome if you want to experience true hospitality then go to eastern Turkey where the Kurds will supply it in abundance.

I was fooled both by the city and by the Yasar "contract" I just hope others will be more fortunate.

For those who ask for concrete examples of what is wrong with Yasar, food apart, I think I gave them and I stand by everything I wrote.
svenhassel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yasar University Izmir, don't do it!! Reply with quote

cmann wrote:
an no one but no one speaks anything but Turkish, even if they can.
[[i]sic]

Now that is rude! remind me never to go to Izmir ever again.
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but it is a hotbed of Turkish nationalism and strangers are not made welcome

Sounds like Arizona.
temba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't think I ever met cmann he must have worked at the Prep. School , I fully concur with every point he makes in his post (including his comment on the food). Last year I was employed as a Full Professor at the University of Yasar. I am not some fresh graduate and have been an academic for more than 25 years, having taught in some of the best universities in the Middle East. Like cmann I was beguiled at the thought of Izmir and even visited the city and Yasar before signing my contract. I can obviously not comment on cmanns's contractual problems but I can attest to the fact that Yasar failed to honor several clauses in my contract, I do not wish to go into details as I am presently considering taking legal action against Yasar. Even at the top end of the academic tree I was treated abysmally, and there were others who were treated even worse. I can believe that the ELT instructors were considered as the lowest of the low, on several occasions I was shocked at how they were treated by members of the professorial faculty. All that I can hope for is that others will take cmann's post seriously and think twice before joining an institution that is quite simply an academic disgrace. Personally I rather liked Izmir but the locals are indeed not friendly and few speak English (or any other language for that matter and I am fluent in six), not even in banks, travel agents or pharmacies. Obviously it is incumbent on the visitor to make some attempt to learn the local language but for my part I was so demoralized that I simply didn't have the heart. For those who are interested the Chronicle of Higher Education has some very informative posts on the state of Turkish higher education and they make for salutary reading for anyone considering working in Turkey.
billy orr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be a bit more specific about about where these salutary posts on Turkish higher education are? I can only find one long thread about Fatih Uni that has not had a new post for some time. Am I looking in the wrong place?
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you be a bit more specific about about where these salutary posts

I asked him to be more specific about the darned LUNCH, and I didnt get a reply yet. So dont count on a reply about salutary posts. Very Happy
historyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too worked for Yasar this year and it was with out a doubt the worst experience of my teaching career.I can't help much on the food side I only ate in the staff canteen once (cold spaghetti with tomato ketchup on top and some kind of rice pudding) after that I brought my own sandwiches which by the way is forbidden but I was never caught so I don't know what the punishment would be.

I don't know what more facts you want about the place, cmann and temba seem to have covered most areas, I too worked in the Prep School I suspect I know who cmann is and good luck to him with his new job in Saudi. The worst part of the day apart from teaching the monsters in class is the hanging about from 8:30am to 6pm. During the summer apart from the 10 day vacation it is even worse as there is nothing to do most likely not even classes to teach, they give what few classes there are to their local buddies. Like cmann I was promised a round trip ticket and they just refused to pay even though it was in my contract. I was once an hour late and the Director went ballistic and threatened to dock my salary, nothing came of it but being shouted at in public was not nice. I hated most of the students,( which I have never done before) some of my classes were 30 + and most of them resented being on the program and took it out on their teachers and cmann is correct zero support from management in fact the opposite they would side with the students every time. No computers, broken down photo copy machine, no OHP, no interactive white boards and no library. The small shared offices are dire. Next to the campus is an open sewer so you have to keep the windows shut at all times. They pay on time but that is it. I spent $3000 setting myself up in a small unfurnished 2 bed roomed apartment (it will cost you 3 months rent for starters: 2 for the landlord and one to the agent) I'm sure you can do it cheaper but no one is willing to help or show you how, by the time you get to know the other foreign teachers it is too late.

I'm sorry if my grammar is not up to snuff or I have not provided enough info on the food but this is my offering, don't go there it is a shit hole of the first order. I am happy to have moved on even though I don't have a job at the moment, I would rather flip burgers than go back to Yasar.
TeachEnglish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would rather flip burgers than go back to Yasar.

I am sure flipping burgers can be a better gig than dealing with some of the idiots in the classroom as well as in the teachers' room.. not to mention the monsters running the joints. No, to start with, I am not bitter but wonder how these places continue to run. That being said, I think the horrible education system/racket here contribute to the low standards. Thank God I, as most of us, have choices and can move on when I see fit and have taken enough of the Turkish crap. Funny how this contract crap seems to only work for the blood suckers that run the crappy diploma factories.

All of you suffering at Yasar U, don't feel bad. There are other places just like it.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TeachEnglish"]
Quote:

All of you suffering at Yasar U, don't feel bad. There are other places just like it.

Lots of places. And not just in Turkey, either. Welcome to the wonderful World of TEFL.
cmann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are bad places to work, and there are very bad places to work and then there is YASAR UNIVERSITY !!
Lanterne Rouge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working at Yasar University in the Prep Class since September 2009 and I wanted to give a bit of balance to some of the previous posts, particularly those of the OP. Perhaps things have dramatically improved following his/her departure but I have to say I barely recognize the description of Yasar.
It is true you will be working in a converted factory... I�m not sure why this is such a bad thing and I personally find it an interesting building. It may not be state of the art but the classes and offices are acceptable. In any event a purpose-built facility on the new campus is being constructed for the Prep Class which should improve any shortcomings. I haven�t noticed the open sewer and am currently typing this in my office with the windows open and a pleasant breeze drifting in. It isn�t Cambridge Uni but it isn�t as bad as described. I have a computer with internet access, online subscriptions to the main ESL journals and I can book a laptop and data projector whenever I want for my lessons. It is not brilliantly well-supported by IT or other resources but I don�t find it a big problem. There are 3 photocopiers. All of them are working as far as I am aware and I have a laser printer in my office. I�m not sure what the average teacher expects but it�s enough for me to do a good job.

The student standard at Yasar is low and many of the students have little or no interest in the Prep Class. Lessons can be a challenge without doubt. However, I have had no problems in my time here and actually enjoy the professional challenge � but if you are just interested in a holiday job or an easy life, then probably it isn�t for you. It is a new University and it will take time to build its reputation and quality but I really like our students generally and enjoy teaching them.

I have no idea where the notion that teachers have to be in school between 8.30 and 6 came from. There are 2 shifts � 8am-4pm and 11am-7pm. You are allocated a shift and have to work those hours. My teaching load is 22 hours per week (a lesson hour is 40 mins). No instructors teach more than this. I have asked colleagues and nobody has ever heard of teaching loads of 30 hours or more.... I have never taught a class of more than 24 students and most are 15-16 or less. It is true you are expected to stay on the premises during your shift even if you have no classes. This can be boring if you have prepared all your lessons already but as I came from another industry where you were expected to be present during your contract hours, I do not find that a problem. There is no system of clocking in and out and I have found management very flexible with me and other teachers if we have admin to do off site. During the summer there are no classes and it is boring to be on site 9-5. However, we are getting paid and you can work on postgrad stuff or whatever you want! Alternatively, you can teach summer school. Far from this being a system of allocating classes to �buddies�, management accommodates every single teacher who wants to teach summer school. In 2010 EVERY teacher who applied to teach summer school got exactly the same number of hours and was paid the same, in addition to their regular salaries.

I went back to the UK during the semester break and was paid my round-fare ticket during the summer as agreed. There was no problem or debate about it. 2 of my foreign colleagues were also reimbursed for their trips home. You may be interested to know that out of 4 foreign teachers recruited for 2009, 2 remain at Yasar and a third returned to the US only because her husband could not find a job. The 4th left principally because his girlfriend didn�t want to live in Turkey. There are 3 other foreign teachers who have been at Yasar for several years. 5 new foreigners joined in 2010 and appear to be happy (I know because I helped organize their orientation).

Izmir is not the most attractive city but has its highlights like any place. The people are perhaps not as warm as the reputation of Turks generally suggests but all the same I have made some lifelong friends here. Many people don�t speak English....but even if they could, why should they make all the effort to accommodate me???? My Turkish is poor but they very much appreciate my best efforts. Turkish healthcare is not up to US standards but that is a Turkish problem, nothing to do with Izmir or Yasar. Turkey is not for everyone after all....

I haven�t witnessed staff backbiting and was amazed by the generally happy working environment when I joined � it was a real plus point for me!! Turkish staff members helped the new foreigners and travelled with them all over the city to find apartments and manage the Turkish bureaucracy. Management has always been supportive. I have never heard of anyone being berated in public. Moreover, it was stressed to me from day one that our students are not customers and that I was free to exclude from the class any student I saw fit. I have not had any disciplinary problems but I know that management have supported colleagues who have 100%.

It is true the food in the canteen is not good quality. Many teachers have complained and recently standards have improved but admittedly no much. However, I am not aware of any law against bringing sandwiches!! I think one of the poster�s may have got their wires crossed Smile)

For the sake of completeness, I should add that I informed the Director of the Prep Class that I was posting this (nobody asked me to do it by the way). I did not show him the content nor get his approval. No job is perfect but my intention in writing was to correct some clear inaccuracies and give a bit more balance to help anyone thinking of working here. If you have any further questions, please drop me a PM and I will give you all the details, good and bad.

As usual there are two sides to every story. I am sorry the OP had a bad time here but I have had the opposite experience. No place is perfect but Yasar really isn�t the hell hole as described by others. Apologies for the length of this post but I wanted to address every part I thought was unfair or downright untrue. (And Crazycatlady, I hope my grammar passes muster!)
cmann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An almost believable attempt by a member of the Yasar Administration to present a balanced view. The poster is an ex-British Council teacher turned PR employee now washed up as a �wife of� type on the inhospitable shores of Izmir, desperation and financial insecurity add up to a misguided sense of loyalty. No you did not teach at the prep school in 2009, there were NO British nationals at the school during the academic year 2009 � 2010, Australians, Americans yes but no Brits. The only Brit. was a Full Professor in the literature department who fled after a year, along with seven other expat teachers. There are many other threads on Yasar, check them, you will have your work cut out posting disguised responses to all of them.
Lanterne Rouge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Ian Collins. I am English and joined Yasar Prep Class as an Instructor in September 2009. My name is listed on the main site of the University as being a member of the Prep Class if you care to check it. You seem to have a few problems with your sources - that may explain your ill-informed comments about other aspects of the Prep Class. Your apologies are, however, accepted. Everyone can make a mistake.

My intention was simply to try to present a balanced view. I am not a member of the "administration" nor am I financially or emotionally desperate or dependent on Yasar to give me a living. There are plenty of jobs I could get Very Happy . My wife is Turkish (but not from Izmir) - we like the city and I enjoy working at Yasar. Sorry if this doesn't fit your view but to be honest I'm not seeking to influence your opinions, just inform others who may consider working here that yours isn't the only perspective. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but it is unforgiveable to post complete fabrications and statements without checking your facts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: