Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bulgaria
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleicht

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Bulgaria Reply with quote

What is Bulgaria like? Do they like Americans there? If Americans are respectful, is it easy to get involved with the local culture? Just looking to get some info from people who have been there.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Bg first in 1991. I am not an American but can assure you that Yanks are well-tolerated in BG.

No money in teaching. Peace Corps sends people to teach here. That is the best deal on offer unless you can score an academic job at the Am Uni in Blagoevgrad

pm me for more

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it strange how people post and then vanish into cyberspace !
March Hare

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am Uni in Bulgaria? If the OP isn't interested, I am.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am U in BG is a real uni and recruits real academics. Forget any of this low-level EFLing stuff.
March Hare

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had academic jobs for years. That's why I'm asking.

Last edited by March Hare on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a website - or you could be very Balkan and just go there and knock on someone's door. Preference will certainly be given to US passport-holders with "real" academic qualifications. I would imagine that a PhD and an inch-thick cv would help.

Fluency in Bulgarian, Greek, Serbian and Turkish would help and a willingness to work with "the organs" from Langley and Sofia.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
March Hare

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Though I'm not sure what the "organs" are... sounds rather creepy.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Organs" is GRU/KGB-speak for the Forces of Law and Order - especially the spooky guys.
Globetrotting Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is funny (and, truth be told, rather depressing, as well). I tend to think the remarks about a willingness to work with the CIA (the "people" from Langley, Virginia) are probably accurate.

I have been to Bulgaria twice, for about 10 days each in 2008 and again in 2010. I liked it a lot, realized it was significantly cheaper than Romania where, over the course of an 8 year-and-4-month period, I lived for 4 years. I even learned some Bulgarian (also partially while living in Moldova, via the help accorded me for a low price by an ethnically Bulgarian who was from Moldova.)

While I luckily found a well-paying job in a nearby Balkan state and will be going there soon, I would love to teach in Bulgaria at some point. I have two BAs, one MA will get my TEFL soon and will get my PhD within the next 6-12 months. I ended up looking at the web-sites for a couple of different Bulgarian universities and, especially on the one for American University in Bulgaria, got the impression that a willingness to work with the "people" from the CIA and related US governmental agencies would probably be helpful. I, however, wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I collaborated even tangentially with these agencies of US imperialism and so, if links between American University in Bulgaria and the CIA/NED/IRI/NDI/USAID, etc are true, I could never work there.

Hopefully, when I get my PhD and am not stuck with just an MA, which it seems like everyone and their brother from the US has these days, I'll be able to find a reasonably decent university teaching job in my field (or something close to it) in one or another (non-US) country of the world including, perhaps, in Bulgaria. I just hope that someone with a PhD who happens to be irreconcilably opposed to Washington's foreign and economic policies could still find a reasonably well-paying teaching job in a university in, say, Bulgaria.
maastricht

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Sofia now (as a tourist) and never imagined I would like it this much. I plan to stay for two weeks and I could easily stay much longer. The CIA thing is really creepy. I think I'd really just want to work for a language school or something.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries are low in BG. Too low to even think about. On some other forums (fora ?) you will find fantasists and fabulists who claim to be earning Euro 1500 a month in Sofia. This is a Walter Mitty tale and should not be believed. You would be lucky to make 500
CPA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you have a good quality of life in Sofia on 2000 Bulgarian Lev (1000 euro) per month?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable. Are you planning to rent accommodation. Single ? Dependants ?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But answer came there none.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: