Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U.S. Girl Struggling to Get Started in BA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvick28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: U.S. Girl Struggling to Get Started in BA Reply with quote

Quick background: I'm 23-years-old and have a BA in Journalism. I work at a killer advertising agency and have a comfortable life. But, I've got a travel bug in me and have decided that I want to immerse myself in a new culture while I'm still young and single.

I started out on the newbie forum and got most of the basics answered, so now here's where I've landed...

I'm in the process of finding the right company to get a TEFL certification through. Originally I wanted to teach in Spain, but everyone on this forum hammered me so hard about what a bad idea that was, so now I'm thinking Buenos Aires. I definitely want to be in a Spanish-speaking country because I've studied the language for several years and would consider myself conversational.

Am I going to get brutal feedback on this idea too? Am I crazy for wanting to leave my stable life for something new, challenging, and exciting? I'm a very driven and motivated young spirit, and I really feel like this would be the most amazing life experience for me.

So, how do I find the best place to get my certification through? I would love to teach older children or young adults and perhaps find a host family to live with. I'm planning on getting my certification on-site at the end of 2011 or beginning of 2012 (initially I wanted to get certified online, but everyone told me that was a bad idea).

Also, I'm VERY skeptical of working under the radar and staying on a tourist visa. Is that too risky?

Sorry for such beginner questions, but I've exhausted the newbie forum and have my heart set on Argentina Smile

Thanks,
Kristen
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about Spain wasn't a reflection on you, or on your qualifications, it's just that it's nearly impossible for non EU citizens to work there.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider Montevideo and Santiago as well. I know Buenos Aires is doable, but probably one of the tougher cities in South America to make it as an foreign language teacher. I'm not sure why; I just hear this repeatedly. I don't know much about teaching in Montevideo, but it's been my dream for a while to live there, seems to offer a very high standard of living. Santiago seems to have a more established teaching market, and if you'd like to live somewhere a little more developed, that'd be a good option. While we're on the subject of big cities, you could also check out Bogota. If you're a city person, you might like it. I wasn't such a big fan, but did stick it out for 2 years. Much happier now in a small city with a better salary.

Just get started right i.e. get a good certificate (Trinity, CELTA or SIT), have a few grand to tide you over and you'll be fine.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the tourist visa thing. I agree with your attitude about this. Lots of shady employers down here; it's just best to have a work visa and be legal.
kvick28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll definitely check out those other cities. Good advice. Thank you so much for sharing!!
Daddyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kvick28 wrote:
Ok, I'll definitely check out those other cities. Good advice. Thank you so much for sharing!!

I'd recommend Costa Rica except remuneration isn't great and it tends to suck the ambition out of you like most of central america. I went there for two weeks with a quarter million dollars, stayed nine years, and ended up broke. Odd though that I wouldn't do it any differently if I could. Santiago is nice, just spent four months working there and made oodles of money. Montevideo from what I've been told has a kind of sad, post prosperity air to it, as though the whole place needs a good cheering up. Haven't been there though so I don't know. I'd go to Buenos Aires. Hell yeah ...
kvick28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha - thanks Daddyo. My heart is pretty set on Buenos Aires. I figured if I can't teach in Europe then this is the next best thing, right? I've heard B.A. is "the Paris of South America!"

I just hope that I can find a good company to get certified through and find a host family, if possible. I'm such a planner, so this whole process is a bit overwhelming! Ugh!
Daddyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: B.A. Reply with quote

kvick28 wrote:
Ha - thanks Daddyo. My heart is pretty set on Buenos Aires. I figured if I can't teach in Europe then this is the next best thing, right? I've heard B.A. is "the Paris of South America!"

I just hope that I can find a good company to get certified through and find a host family, if possible. I'm such a planner, so this whole process is a bit overwhelming! Ugh!

You go girl! Don't buy the whole 'big scary Buenos Aires' thing ...
kvick28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's SO refreshing to hear! Everyone's been helpful in giving me advice on this forum, but I've felt nothing but discouragement. Surely I'm not crazy for thinking that giving up my corporate gig in the big city will be worth the amazing experience of living in a different culture, right? Surely it's possible to move to Buenos Aires, get TEFL certified, land a decent teaching job, and find housing without going completely broke, right?
Daddyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kvick28 wrote:
That's SO refreshing to hear! Everyone's been helpful in giving me advice on this forum, but I've felt nothing but discouragement. Surely I'm not crazy for thinking that giving up my corporate gig in the big city will be worth the amazing experience of living in a different culture, right? Surely it's possible to move to Buenos Aires, get TEFL certified, land a decent teaching job, and find housing without going completely broke, right?

It happens every day ...
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol on the Montevideo description. I always hear kind of vague, negative things about it from people who've been there. Really would like to check it out though.
Daddyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
lol on the Montevideo description. I always hear kind of vague, negative things about it from people who've been there. Really would like to check it out though.

lol .... yeah, and the uruguayans I talk to say there is still a lot of corruption there. I have a feeling that it might rise again, though. Worth staying tuned I think...
wiganer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be working under the radar (en negro) if you teach English in Argentina. You are probably best off going to Chile if legality is an issue. I love Argentina - as a tourist. Working there and espeically teaching English is a whole different ballgame. Lots of English teachers there as it is who will work for less than you. It aint worth it - not unless you like travelling the subte for hours at an end daily. (Well - I enjoyed it personally but...)

Also, you are underestimating how stressful teaching English can be - especially with the hours and travelling needed to make it pay in Buenos Aires. Here is something to ponder, a third of English teachers who went to work for public schools in Korea quit their jobs within one semester. And that was during the worst recession in the west since the 1980s. They quit and went home to the dole, because teaching English as a foreign language is something not everyone is capable of doing. Something to think about. Wink
Daddyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganer wrote:
You are probably best off going to Chile if legality is an issue.

I've heard there are road signs posted around Buenos Aires and at the airport that say, "Beware TEFL teachers - entering horrible work conditions zone", and then when you actually arrive at the city limits there are others that say, 'Abandon all hope ye TEFL teachers who pass this point", and "Last Chance to Turn Back." I mean seriously, it's a wonder anybody goes there at all.
wiganer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddyo wrote:
wiganer wrote:
You are probably best off going to Chile if legality is an issue.

I've heard there are road signs posted around Buenos Aires and at the airport that say, "Beware TEFL teachers - entering horrible work conditions zone", and then when you actually arrive at the city limits there are others that say, 'Abandon all hope ye TEFL teachers who pass this point", and "Last Chance to Turn Back." I mean seriously, it's a wonder anybody goes there at all.

I lived in Argentina for two years and taught English and towards the end I was glad to get the hell out, I was working for the last six months to get my airfare home! Laughing And this was before the global economic meltdown so God knows how it is going to be for someone to start out there in today's climate. Argentina is similar to Thailand where the ESL industry is overstaffed with foreign, native speaker teachers who will work for buttons to live in a 'nice' place - the demand for English is there but schools know they can employ you illegally and pay you crap.

Buenos Aires is a nice city. It's safe, interesting, avant garde, good food (if you like beef and Italian - I do) good looking people and friendly. After a few months it all wears thin (because, in all honesty - there is sod all there!) and the 'bronca' of the city starts to well up inside you. I would live in Buenos Aires if I was wealthy and had an independent income - teaching English? I would only do it if I had a few grand back up to get the hell out of there once the novelty (quickly) wore off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: