Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiking Trails Around Taipei

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Hiking Trails Around Taipei Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with what's offered in the way of decent hiking trails up on the mountains around Taipei? I'm moving to a house halfway up the hill behind Warner Village and want to start exploring on weekends....the more rugged the trail the better.....
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: hiking around Taipei Reply with quote

There are many places and possibilities. I guess the area you mention you are moving to is Elephant Mountain. I have only been hiking there once, but it is pretty cool given that it is just ten minutes away from Taipei's World Trade Center!!! Many places in Taipei are like that--one minute you're climbing a mountain surrounded by forest, the next you're surrounded by scooters and 7-Elevens.

Yangmingshan is another popular area although I am not familiar with it. If you are prepared to travel a little bit out of Taipei I suggest you walk the Tsaoling Historic Trail on the northeast coast. You might also like to go to Ruifang and then take the Ping Hsi Railway. There are plenty of opportunities for hiking in the area around there. Head south to Wulai and you can discover paradise on Earth Exclamation I'm getting excited just typing this Razz

Have a look at these websites too:
Hiking in Taipei
Day trips around Taipei
Round-Taipei or cross-Taiwan hiking--Can it be done?
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Hiking Reply with quote

Cheers. Maybe I'll see you on the trails.
wix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite area for hiking is around Chengtian Temple in Tucheng. Not so easy to get there unless you have a car or motorcycle though. The MRT will reach out there in a couple more years though. There are details on my website: http://taiwan.8m.net/banqiao.html#chengtian
MissusFish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Fireflies Reply with quote

Yamingshan is nice-not really rugged(many of the trails are paved!), but there are some good views.

There are fireflies right now in Beipu(Hsin Chu County)! It's a little far from Taipei, but I thought anyone who is interested in hiking might be interested in fireflies too. I'm sure there are other places to find them, but hurry, they'll only be around for about one more week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: