Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets Get Started, Landing a job in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Working in an FE College Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been in the UK for almost two months and I'm starting to get on my feet.

I was able to land a job at an FE college teaching EFL. Starting out I was only getting 13 hours a week, but at 21 pounds an hour it was a lot better than the 8-12 pounds being paid by private language schools for 30 hours a week. Now that I've been there for a bit I've been able to pick up an additional 5.5 hours and am making enough money to live on.

I found this job because a friend gave me a tip that they might be looking for someone. But I've also seen some advertisements recently on the guardian website http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/browse/education/index.jsp.
Be aware that there have been some jobs that were not published in the Tuesday Educational Supplement of the Guardian. Also some of the closing dates for positions are also incorrect.

It's a nice working environment but there's a considerable amount of paper work. Also, many of the teachers are not full time, and since this FE's EFL department closes for the summer, I've got to look for something then, and possibley something more permanent elsewhere.

With a DELTA and an MA there seem to be quite a few opportunities at language schools, sometimes as teacher trainers in training, and occasionally there are jobs at FEs. The one area that I've had the least amount of luck in has been the presessional tutoring work for some of the Universities in London. They seem to be short posts-- 8-12 weeks at the most, but at over �500 a week and 20 contact hours they look good.

Perhaps I should start a new topic with this question, but can anyone tell me anything about ESOL? What qualifications or knowledge and experienc are needed?

Thanks all,

b-boy
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi b-boy,

I work at an FE college too or rather 2 of them and at an Adult E college teaching Italian plus as a relief support worker at a hostel (hurrah no prep).

Don't get me started on the subject of ESOL. I'll try and give some info later, but I've finished for the week, it's my birthday today and I can't be ar***ed.

But do remind me and I'll vent about the sometimes stupid distinctions the educational consultants make about the difference between ESOL and EFL.

Sue
Ixchel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will. wrote:
"There's always somewhere worse than where your at" has meaning for you then does it not? I bet many of the state school teachers here in the UK do not feel the same. I am sure you read the Tuesday Guardian so you should be up to date with the local problems of teachers. Not all of them appreciate this country in the same way that you do. Of course we could offer to send them over to LA and see how they do in a high school in Watts for a semester or two. I don't think there would be many takers.
The job here would take on a whole new lease of life.

Actually for as long as I worked in Los Angeles they recruited teachers from Spanish-speaking countries and Canada who were all quite happy. I have a lot of Canadian friends who work for the district (most started as teachers and moved up into administration-fairly high up) and many fought to stay when their contracts were up. California is one of the most beautiful places in the world and this was a chance for people to legally work and live there. They were not all happy with the school situations but like me in England it was a thrill to live and travel there.
Will.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there b-boy and welcome, belated though it may be, to UK or as it is locally pronounced YUCK.
Sounds like you landed on your feet. Straight into an EFL job and No ESOL link. The paperwork can be a nightmare in ESOL as I am sure SueH will agree. Like her, I too, am teaching in the tertiary sector.
Where are you based? In London?
See my pm for info on summer jobs.
Halcyon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Introductions Reply with quote

Just looking for advice because I am looking into coming to the UK for next year. Already I am glad I came here because I was looking into private company hiring.

essentially, I am looking for a permenant Drama/English position at the secondary level. Lay on the advice!

Especially hoping to hear from China Dan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: