Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Colombia- should I/shouldn't I??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helenw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Colombia- should I/shouldn't I?? Reply with quote

I have just completed an intense CELTA course and am looking to travel and work in South America; I am 26 from the UK and apart from the TEFL qualification I have no teaching experience but have a BA degree in Media. I am totally confused as to which country to stay and work in. I am tempted by Cali, greatly due to my salsa dancing passion. I have saved money but i did want to use this to initially travel some other countries in South America. I am hoping to start my travels in October and probably travel for a few months. When is the best time to search for work? Is it necessary to have a substantial amount of money saved before attempting to find a job?

Any advice about Cali or any other part of Colombia, would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
UrbanBedowin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are limited jobs in Cali as opposed to Bogota. Your best bet is to just get on over there and start applying to institutes. If they have classes that need filling they'll take you on straight away.

Cali is cheaper than other places and depending on the area you could get a 1 bed flat for 150-300 quid a month and with another 500 quid for that month you'll have more than enough to get by until you find work. That is if your not going to be boozing and buying all the rounds for all the hangers on, than you'll be broke before you know it. If you can do without all the creature comforts then you'll get by with much less.
helenw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Im quite open with regards to where I am willing to work. Is it alot easier to find work in Bogota? Is that where you currently are? How do you find living there? My worry is the time I will be looking for work; im flying to Buenos Aires at the beginning of October and am travelling for a few months so will be looking for work around December/ January time.

Cheers!
UrbanBedowin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm based in Bogota and there is a lot more to choose from here as far as work goes. There are a few known places you can start to work for more or less straight away with or without visa.

As for living in Bogota, there are plenty of things to do, great restaurants etc and places to travel to nearby. The poeple are a bit on the frosty side so don't expect to find a lot of open warm people. You'll find that in other towns/cities where the Colombians are very friendly. The weather isn't great at all too. If you like cloudy rainy weather then Bogota is the place.

When you arrive you can apply to Institutes, they hire all year round. Universities start their new semestar in January so you may have some luck applying in December. University jobs are by far the best in Colombia. Decent pay, not the same as an international school but the work is far more relaxed unlike a school where you will really be working but earning really good money as far as Colombia goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: