Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job situation in Phillipines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Job situation in Phillipines Reply with quote

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the current job situation in the Phillipines. Is there a demand for teachers right now? Do they require 120 hour certificates or will a 60 hour certificate be fine? If anyone has advice it would be greatly apreciated! Is Cebu or a city nearby in need of teachers? Thank you
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Job situation in Phillipines Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the current job situation in the Philippines. Is there a demand for teachers right now? Do they require 120 hour certificates or will a 60 hour certificate be fine? If anyone has advice it would be greatly appreciated! Is Cebu or a city nearby in need of teachers? Thank you

Unless you are Filipino or married to one (resident visa) or have a
n MATESOL / PhD there is virtually no chance of finding a LEGAL job as a teacher in the Philippines (immigration issue - no visa available - not employment factors).

If you have your Masters in TESOL (or better) then MOD EDIT

If you are Filipino and have certification (board) as a teacher (not just a TEFL cert) there are lots of positions in the language institutes on Mactan as well as a few positions in the institutes in Cebu city provided that your accent isn't too provincial.

I don't have current information about Baguio and the QC language institutes but I suspect the situation is similar.

hereinbeijing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: I would love to work there Reply with quote

I would really like to work there, too.
Kiels

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know MOD EDIT is advertising for American Teachers in a variety of positions. Google them. Also there are numerous International schools in Manila such as the British School of Manila, the International School of Manila and school such as Brent. I don't know of any other positions teaching here but perhaps these schools are interested in ESL teachers?

MOD EDIT: Job ads (direct or indirect) on this board can only be posted via:

www.eslcafe.com/post.html
Hero3128

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Ph.D., but it's in Math. Could I find a job there?
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly could.

What do you want to teach?

Math or ESL?

International schools may be the way to go.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hero3128 wrote:

Could you find a professorship in Math = yes (legal work with a work visa).
(might even find a tenured position) but the pay will be crap.

Could you get a visa to teach ESL = no (unless you buy a SSRV or marry a Filipina and get a 13a).

btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Hero3128 wrote:

Could you get a visa to teach ESL = no (unless you buy a SSRV or marry a Filipina and get a 13a).

Are you saying someone with his credentials can't legally teach at the international school level in the Philippines without "buying an SSRV or marrying a Filipina?"
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btsmrtfan wrote:
tttompatz wrote:
Hero3128 wrote:

Are you saying someone with his credentials can't legally teach at the international school level in the Philippines without "buying an SSRV or marrying a Filipina?"

Not unless he has teaching credentials (teacher certification + licensing and 2+ years of classroom experience in the primary or secondary school level) to go with that PhD. Just because he is a mathematician does not make him a teacher but it will make him a professor.

Additionally, there is no shortage of English speaking, board certified math teachers (Filipinos) who are currently out of work and don't have visa issues to deal with.

As it is in all countries, the employer must show that they cannot find a suitable candidate within the country before the immigration service will allow them to import labor and allow a work visa.

btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come away from your explanation shaking my head and thinking to myself it must be awfully easy for international schools to establish they "cannot find a suitable candidate within the country" given the number of non-Filipinos I see teaching at international schools in the Philippines.

My sense is the reality of the situation is not necessarily always in line with your portrayal and that well qualified overseas candidates, regardless of whether or not they satisfy each and every technical requirement, would be well served to explore the increasing number of teaching possibilities (ESL and others) in the Philippines and especially at the international school level.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btsmrtfan wrote:
I come away from your explanation shaking my head and thinking to myself it must be awfully easy for international schools to establish they "cannot find a suitable candidate within the country" given the number of non-Filipinos I see teaching at international schools in the Philippines.

My sense is the reality of the situation is not necessarily always in line with your portrayal and that well qualified overseas candidates, regardless of whether or not they satisfy each and every technical requirement, would be well served to explore the increasing number of teaching possibilities (ESL and others) in the Philippines and especially at the international school level.

In my experience you may find that a large number of applicants/employees are using "extended tourist stays" of up to 24 months in lieu of a real work visa.

You also have to remember that there are a large number of dual nationals (Fil/Am, Fil/west) who have returned from the states to work in the Phils for any number of reasons and as such they also don't have the work visa issues.

Hero3128

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btsmrtfan wrote:
You certainly could.

What do you want to teach?

Math or ESL?

International schools may be the way to go.

I'd rather teach math, but I'd teach ESL if that were the only way to live in or near the Philippines. Also, I would want a job without research responsibilities.
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
btsmrtfan wrote:

In my experience you may find that a large number of applicants/employees are using "extended tourist stays" of up to 24 months in lieu of a real work visa.

You also have to remember that there are a large number of dual nationals (Fil/Am, Fil/west) who have returned from the states to work in the Phils for any number of reasons and as such they also don't have the work visa issues.

Speaking of my own experience at the international school where I work in the Philippines, we all have real work visas and I know of no one that is a Fil/Am, Fil/west, but I could be mistaken. Some teachers are married to Filipino spouses, but this is to be expected given my experience working in other international schools in other nations where it was fairly common to find one or more teachers married to someone from that particular nation.

My point remains that well qualified people should not be dissuaded from seeking positions to work legally at international schools in the Philippines only because they may not satisfy each and every technical requirement or because one school may do things one way while another does them in another way.

At the same time, I would encourage anyone heading this way to research the possibilities well before coming, ask lots of questions, get as qualified as you can (money and time permitting) and so attempt to avoid to the extent possible situations that could later prove very uncomfortable. This is especially true if you have limited experience teaching and living abroad.

If a school can't employ you legally in the Philippines, my advice is not to work for them and find one that can. They do exist and good international schools will often go the extra mile to hire someone who they want and need regardless of any possible obstacles presented by the applicant or the regulations.
expatusa007

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Teaching ESL in the Philippines Reply with quote

There are loads of ESL Teaching jobs in the Metro Manila area. Some places will get you a work visa, some will not. To many employers, Filipinos and Filipinas are not Native-English Speakers (I personally do not agree). If you are from a country where English is the main language (USA, Canada, UK, etc.) and are breathing, then just check the various job boards. There are a lot of Korean schools who use Native-Speakers to teach man to man, group classes, and on-line. Again, some could care less about your qualifications. As for immigration, I am married to a Filipina and have a resident card. But, I know people who get work visas. For you singles, being married to a Filipina is a blessing, wherever you live or work!

Cool
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching ESL in the Philippines Reply with quote

expatusa007 wrote:
There are loads of ESL Teaching jobs in the Metro Manila area. Some places will get you a work visa, some will not. To many employers, Filipinos and Filipinas are not Native-English Speakers (I personally do not agree). If you are from a country where English is the main language (USA, Canada, UK, etc.) and are breathing, then just check the various job boards. There are a lot of Korean schools who use Native-Speakers to teach man to man, group classes, and on-line. Again, some could care less about your qualifications. As for immigration, I am married to a Filipina and have a resident card. But, I know people who get work visas. For you singles, being married to a Filipina is a blessing, wherever you live or work!

Cool

I think you will find that many of us are married to a Pinay and hold a 13a so visas are a non issue for many and work visas are difficult to obtain for many reasons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: