Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching on a tourist visa is that bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffdog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to be working at a school in guangzhou...they told me i didnt need to worry about obtaining any sort of visa here in the us....that i would fly into hong kong, wait there while they prepared my visa, then be transported to the school....apparently, there is something about hong kong....what gives? and does this sound ok?
happigur1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worpt wrote:

Also, I think with just a tourist visa you don't get your English Expert Book thingee which is really important to have. I forget what it's called. It's been locked up in a filing cabinet for a couple of years.

It's the "Foreign Expert Certificate" Wink ...most of the time it's useless BUT it once helped my friend at the airport (he did not have his passport and was able to use his FEC- flying domestically) AND I used it to get my Metro card.

ESL Hobo wrote:
Amazing China.
How about this scenario.
Live in Taiwan and work in China with a tourist visa, but not for a school, teaching privates only, then returning to Taiwan once a month on the weekend to renew your visa.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Won't that get expensive and defeat the purpose of working in China? Why not just live in China with a legitimate job, have your housing paid for, and moonshine? ....and visit Taiwan occasionally....
damasseur

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
im going to be working at a school in guangzhou...they told me i didnt need to worry about obtaining any sort of visa here in the us....that i would fly into hong kong, wait there while they prepared my visa, then be transported to the school....apparently, there is something about hong kong....what gives? and does this sound ok?

If your school is sending to you HK...make sure they are sending you there to get a Z-visa. Any other type of visas...you will be working illegally and have to make the trip to HK once a month.
worpt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Visa Reply with quote

If you are working in China on a tourist Visa, there is a chance you will be fined, and possibly deported.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: visa Reply with quote

"If your school is sending to you HK...make sure they are sending you there to get a Z-visa. Any other type of visas...you will be working illegally and have to make the trip to HK once a month."

This depends. I have worked in China on both Z visas and F visas. I have had three F visas. One was good for four months with no need to exit the country during the 4-month term of the visa. The second was good for three months with no need to exit the country during the 3-month term of the visa. The current one is good for six months, but I have to make a run to Hong Kong every 30 days.

I have never had any problems while working on F visas.
RonHex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 6 month F visa that i was able to renew in my city for an additional 6 months back in 2007/2008. It was a newbie mistake to teach for that long on an F visa
ttorriel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F visa is a business visa

Z visa is an employment visa

How can there be any "mistake" ?
Teatime of Soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it only illegal if you get caught?

Or is it always illegal?

Perhaps some "new" legal theories can be forged on the anvil of Dave's cafe to be tested in the crucible of Chinese law.
icwood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: teaching on tourist visas Reply with quote

As a teacher in the Far East (Japan & Korea) for over 12 years, I can say don't take a job if the boss won't sponsor you for a work visa. It might mean they have been blacklisted by immigration for mistreating teachers in the past, and will mean you have no protection if they decide to do so to you!
igorG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, they (employers) don't want to bother applying for appropriate certification to hire FTs. It takes time and costs. To have the appropriate licensing to hire FTs carries responsibilities too. Having said that, there are some unlicensed employers that may be better to work for then the ones that have all the appropriate certs to go on with.
CarlD26

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very helpful and totally spot on, I agree 100% :

"Working in China: The only way to be legal."
(Carl's note: and really, the ONLY path people should take).

http://www.shenzhenstuff.com/forum/topics/working-in-china-the-only-way

I really, for the life of me, can't imagine why anyone would want to do it any other way. As doing it any other way just opens yourself up for the possibility of problems down the road, and the potential to get screwed is much much higher. There is very little benefit to getting a job on a tourist visa compared with the potential risks involved. In fact, you gain no extra benefit on a tourist visa compared to had you gone the correct way, if anything, you lose benefits. The author of the post knows his stuff!

I also find it funny that in the past, talking with people, the same Americans who had problems with illegals back in the states, had no qualms about coming to China illegally to work on a tourist visa. Crazy double standards eh? The fact is, IT IS ILLEGAL!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: