Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retiring to UK after Teaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing north of the Tweed is a devolved matter so the old Etonians do not call all the shots !
Kipling

Location: ...Ah Mrs K peel me a grape!!!....and have one yourself!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brave hear wrote
Quote:
I think that I would prefer the Chancellor just to put it all on a favourite at Cheltenham.

I think they did that with their policies over the last 15 years with the present result

Quote:
but old Etonian Boris Johnson (ok, admit I don't know he's an etonian, but he's certainly a toff) ticked off the government for their ludicrous housing policies, calling them "social cleansing"

This is Boris the Toff looking after his own patch and at the same time laying the foundation for the next Tory party leadership bid when "Dave" is dispatched by either the electorate or his own party. A true country's worth should be gaged by how it treats its' old, sick and insane. Sadly compared to many of our European counterparts we are sadly deficient in this respect.
Also I would like to point out that I contributed in taxes and NI since I was 16 but those taxes were retrogressive meaning we paid for our grandparents and parents benefits at the time which seemed fair enough to me. My private pension fund with Barclays was HALVED in the last 2 years and I would be better off opting back into SERPS or whatever they call it now. People want fairness and can put up with a lot of things if they are seen to be so. So Bankers can you stop paying yourself so much in bonuses ...oh and by the way can we have the money back that we lent you.

Mr K
Confused Confused Confused
Have a lovely retirement Mr Scot47
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipling is right to be concerned about how the insane are treated. And the old and infirm. Which label, I wonder, would he attach to

Yours Truly

scot47
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SERPS was put down in 2002. A good scheme, if a bit difficult to explain. One of the many victims of Lady Thatcher. You now have this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Second_Pension

Personally I am looking at a Basic State Retirement Pension of 101 pounds per week. Pension Credit, which is the new name for Poor Relief/National Assistance/Supplementary Benefit/IncomeSupport for the aged, is currently 132 pounds a week. Plus Housing benefit. And of course free NHS and a Bus Pass.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the current scheme, a single person can receive �97.65 a week with an extra means-tested amount (top-ups) available for the poorest pensioners with savings below �16,000. These top-ups are now called Pension Credits, and bring the amount up to � 132.60 a week.

If you reached the state pension age on or after 6 April 2010, you need to have 30 qualifying years of NI contributions for a full basic state pension.

However, a green paper is being drawn up which suggests that everyone should receive the same �140 per week, and there will be an end to means-tested top-ups (Pension Credits). This new system proposed would be based on residency. Housing benefit in London will be capped at �250 a week for a one-bedroomed flat, �290 for a 2-bedroomed flat.

see : <http://www.rightsandwrongs.co.uk/asia/philippines/5395-social-uk-state-pension-green-paper>

At present, the winter fuel allowance has been kept + free travel pass +
free NHS + free TV licence for over 75s.

see :www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk
Kipling

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Do not go gentle into that goodnight, Old age should Burn... Reply with quote

Which label, I wonder, would he attach to

The way I look, feel and act I should say ALL OF THEM

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mr K
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has renounced tobacco and alcohol, and who has given up the pursuit of the fairer sex, I think I can manage on 132 pounds a week. I am of course a devout pedestrian, abjuring the Infernal Combustion Engine and all other works of the Evil One.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I am headed off for a quick inspection of my estate in SCO and a bit of a chinwag with the laird. Demob, deo volente, in June of 2011. God spare me until then !
Kipling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Howay the Lairds!!!! Reply with quote

Quote:
God spare me until then !

I am sure the Big Laird in the Sky will grant you your wish!

Yes the Infernal Combustion Engine!

Back in the 70s' I formed the Pan Celtic Cyclists Liberation Army (PCCLA)

We had 2 members before the inevitable split, it's still a bone of contention to this very day

In every way
I am Mr K
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
abjuring the Infernal Combustion Engine

as used in aeroplanes, or was it one hell of a walk from the desert?
Kipling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Walk me to the Moon ...de dum dum de dum de deeeeeeeeeeeee Reply with quote

Quote:
as used in aeroplanes, or was it one hell of a walk from the desert?

Toucheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Says Mr Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!

scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be un aware that there is a RAILWAY that links Basra to Berlin ! Admittedly the Iraqi part is a trifle dialpidated thanks to the actions of the vile imperialists and crusaders but the time will come when we can take a choo-choo again all the way from Kuwait and beyond to Europe.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I need to do now is to make sure that climate warming brings the average winter temperatures here up to around 25 Celsius and everything will be hunkey-dorey !

Mind you I am surprised that my inbox has not been filled up with those asking about renting bijou residences in my tropical island paradise
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freezing weather in SCO does not deter me from my decision to head there come my retirement.I see the motorist lobby in my homeland, a powerful pressure group, forced the resignation of the Minister of Transport. They blamed him for the heavy snow.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alea jacta est. My employer has graciously accepted my resignation, and if the Good LORD spares me until then, come end of June I shall be a wrinkly old pensioner. But NOT grumpy !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: