Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singers on $4500 and being gay!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Singers on $4500 and being gay! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am currently in China and loving it but I have recently been offered a job in Singers paying $4500 a month with I CAN READ (accommodation allowence included) and I was wondering if that was enough to have a good life in singers with and what is singers like...

I have been to HK and even though I love it I dont think I'd like to live there as its a little too western and not asian enough for my liking..

I like Asia and want to live here long term and one of the pluses for singers is that they can offer permanent residency which is something I'd like to get (I know other cities in Asia do a sort of marriage visa but being gay I wont getr married)

Also, what is life like for gay guys?

Thanks
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on your lifestyle. I earn a little less than that and save around sgd2000 a month. I smoke and drink once a month, enjoy cooking a t home, and live in a one year old hdb flat. If you like shopping, going clubbing, and want to live in a condo then you will live ok on that salary but not save a penny. So, depends on your priorities.

As an esl teacher, the chances of you being offered pr here now are VERY slim. Gone are the days when prs were being handed out willy nilly. Every teacher at my school that has applied has been rejected (other than those married to a local).

Singapore has plenty of gay friendly bars and gay nights.

Excuse the errors, typing this on an itouch.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best not to refer to the place as "Singers"! Cool
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Singers on $4500 and being gay! Reply with quote

elliot_spencer wrote:

I have been to HK and even though I love it I dont think I'd like to live there as its a little too western and not asian enough for my liking..

I live in HK. How is it more 'western' than Singapore? HK has a 98% East Asian population, and about 1% are westerners. I wouldn't call that very western at all. In fact "a teeny weeny bit" western would be more accurate. If you mean "developed", that would be more accurate. It is in a different phase of development than less developed parts of China or South East Asia. Tokyo has much in common with HK, and is pretty much in the same phase of development. Not too many people call Tokyo "too western".

I suspect you mean HK is too structured, controlled, materialistic. That would be a fair comment. But structure, control and materialism are not exclusively western qualities. In fact they pretty much describe most developed parts of Eastern Asia these days, and maybe even Singapore.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong has many reminders of the UK (street signs, road markings, stone walls) and its fairly homogenous culture, charmless grey tower blocks can certainly make it seem less exotic than Singapore, with it diverse population, staggering variety of food and languages, and pockets of rainforest.

Singapore is on a par with HK in terms of development, though the cleanliness of the air here compared to that ofHK makes it infinitely more liveable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: