Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interview with BC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Interview with BC Reply with quote

I have an interview with the BC today. Has anyone else had one? How was it? Any advice?
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interview went terrible Sad At one point I was asked to describe a situation and I took about 5 minutes thinking... so embarrassing... do you think they penalise for this kind of thing?

I'm certain I won't get the job as I don't feel confident with the interview.. Oh well, hope I can reapply in the future
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry things didn't go well for you this time!
I'm sure you can re-apply later on, particularly if you can distill what went wrong and learn from it (or say that you did Very Happy ).

These kinds of crashes happen to everyone over the course of a career - and they're not usually earth-shaking in the long term, though it feels like crap at the time. Feel bad for a bit if you wanna - you're entitled!
The Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at that position. I'm not sure how it works out. you can earn between 21-25K Gross pounds sterling a year, but it looked like 16% of that would burn on tax and another 19.5% on National Insurance.

My math sucks but assuming, you are on the lowest band, 21K Gross, does that mean after deductions, you would actually be earning 14208 net pounds sterling?
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

You'll be taxed in Romania so it is 16% on everything (there aren't any tax bands here). There's the NI, as The Noodles mentions, plus a couple of other deductions. Basically it would work out as follows:

Gross: 107,844 RON pa
Net: 75,642 RON pa

So that works out as about 6303 RON per month net. The pound is currently 4.95 GBP to the RON, so that gives you a monthly salary of 1273 GBP p/m

It states there are 37.5 contract hours per week (ie., including all the admin duties and other obligations), and based on a four-week month, that gives you an hourly rate of about 8.4 GBP per work hour (not contact hour). Of course, you'll have home prep and travel time on top of that.

It's not a bad salary, good by local standards, depending of course on your lifestyle. If you lived in a modest one-bedroomed apartment, with the usual utilities, mostly cooking for yourself at home, travelling by public transport, I would say that you need about 500-600 GBP per month minimum, not including nights out or other activities. If you wanted to live in an 'expat-grade' apartment in an upmarket area, run your own car, eat out in good restaurants, and go out to fancy bars and clubs regularly, then you'd find yourself seriously struggling.

It looks like there are two positions available, so you might still be in with a shout.

All the best,
Mike
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the questions they asked?

I hate when they ask about specific situations.

"Describe a specific incident when you had to work as part of a team and how you handled it."

Rolling Eyes
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you apply for it too skyblue?
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get the job... found out today.. Oh well Malaysia here I come! Sad Sad Sad
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't. I'm just curious what they asked.
lisawagners

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyblue2 wrote:

"Describe a specific incident when you had to work as part of a team and how you handled it."

Those questions are the dumbest and tacky. I feel bad for the person who asks them. Another one: "Tell us a time you had to think outside the box."
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisawagners wrote:
Skyblue2 wrote:

Those questions are the dumbest and tacky. I feel bad for the person who asks them. Another one: "Tell us a time you had to think outside the box."

I've had "Tell me about an incident in the classroom and how you handled it" from other interviewers as well.

To be fair, the application forms from the BC ask for written answers to these sorts of questions, so you can see them coming.

Personally, even with all the time in the wold to think, I find it hard to come up with a meaningful "incident" that occurred while I was working as part of a team.

Despite working as part of a team all the time.

Does anyone have any good links to model answers to this kind of questioning?

Years ago, I went through a book on interview questions and worked out answers to the most common ones. I have them in writing and review them and revise them before applying for a new job every few/couple of years.

It helps a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: