Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA required in Cambodia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: CELTA required in Cambodia? Reply with quote

Do schools in Cambodia require a CELTA cert or any equivalent? I have a 4-year degree in engineering and a law degree. I have visited Cambodia many times. I would like to just show up in Cambodia, get settled in, and start teaching. Is this a reasonable expectation without a CELTA or equivalent?
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better schools and universities will require TEFL certification of some description, but you might just be able to find work without (it won't pay much though).

Khmers are quite discerning when it comes to language classes and they will not usually tolerate "teachers" who do not know their stuff. You will also be in competition with local teachers, many of whom are pretty good and who almost always have TEFL qualifications, albeit from local institutions and course-providers. The situation in Cambodia is a little different to say China and Thailand, where a white face and a pulse are often sufficient.
thomas123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PattyFlipper,

I am thinking I will probably take the CELTA course offered by ILA in Vietnam. Then I'll look for work in Vietnam or Cambodia. Are you teaching in Cambodia?
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Cambodia a couple of months ago, after a two year stint as President of a private university there.

Phnom Penh is a very congenial place to live, but the TEFL market is becoming saturated, due to the relaxed visa regulations and an exodus of TEFLers from Thailand. As I mentioned above, the local teachers are also fairly competent (unlike in Thailand), and quite a few places offer TEFL training courses for Khmers. It is quite a popular subject at the universities.

You would do better in Phnom Penh if you could teach substantive subjects other than English, e.g. business, management, finance, even literature, culture, geography etc. Most of the 80 plus private 'universities' teach at least partly in English and they are sometimes hard-pressed to find teachers for 'real' subjects. Everything is remunerated at a part-time, hourly rate however, and few if any institutions offer full-time, salaried, positions. Busiest times are early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
thomas123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info PattyFlipper,

I have visited PP a number of times and really enjoy the laid back feeling and the non-pushy people. I prefer Cambodia to the frantic feeling of Vietnam. I am a lawyer. Do you know if any universities in PP may have a need for law teachers?

By the way, where are you now that you have left PP?
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas123 wrote:

I have visited PP a number of times and really enjoy the laid back feeling and the non-pushy people. I prefer Cambodia to the frantic feeling of Vietnam.

My feelings exactly. I've only visited Vietnam, and don't think I would want to live there. It does seem to be better than Phnom Penh in terms of teaching though.

thomas123 wrote:

I am a lawyer. Do you know if any universities in PP may have a need for law teachers?

I also have a background in law.

You could try the Faculty of Law (part of the government run Royal University of Phnom Penh), though it may not be so easy to get in there. White faces are not particularly welcome. Many of the universities offer law as a major, as Cambodia still follows the French/Continental European system whereby a law degree is often regarded as a stepping-stone to working in the civil service. In addition, legal studies (Cambodian constitutional law and legal system, human rights law) are now a mandatory component of the Foundation (Freshman) year at all universities. Business Law is also often on the curriculum for BBA and MBA programmes. It is a question of cold-calling and presenting yourself and your credentials to the various Deans of the law faculties (or at the smaller places, perhaps the Rector/President/Vice-Chancellor himself, as he is often the only one who can make decisions). Expect around $12 to $15 per hour for teaching Foundation level students, up to about $25 per hour for postgraduate law courses (including MBA business law). You may have to supplement your income by also teaching English though, as it may take a while to build up enough hours.

The 'universities' (and I use the term advisedly) naturally have a preference for Cambodian law teachers - some of whom are actually pretty good. In order to make yourself appear more attractive, I would suggest that you mug up on Cambodian law and the Cambodian legal system - there are some English language publications available in the various bookstores in Phnom Penh.

While they could hardly be described as bastions of academic excellence, Cambodian universities can be quite flexible and receptive to ideas for different types of courses. You may well be able to talk them into offering subjects/courses in which you are proficient and/or interested.

thomas123 wrote:

By the way, where are you now that you have left PP?

Back in my old stamping ground of the Middle East. I had an offer I couldn't refuse. Very Happy I shall, however, most likely return to Phnom Penh at some point.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambodia--try it and see Cool
Sinner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
You would do better in Phnom Penh if you could teach substantive subjects other than English, e.g. business, management, finance, even literature, culture, geography etc. Most of the 80 plus private 'universities' teach at least partly in English and they are sometimes hard-pressed to find teachers for 'real' subjects. Everything is remunerated at a part-time, hourly rate however, and few if any institutions offer full-time, salaried, positions. Busiest times are early mornings, evenings, and weekends.

Hi PattyFlipper, do you know of any possible contacts for teaching computing/computer science at one of these unis?
Trebek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good info P.F.

What about positions for experienced certified public school teachers in Social Studies and Fine Arts? I do not have a masters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: