Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysia (employer inquiry)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanpedro72

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Malaysia (employer inquiry) Reply with quote

I received structured job questionaire from Harbour View Hotel, Malaysia
for a full time English teaching job. I googled this place and didn't find any fraud in relation to teaching. The first red flag was that the positions were spammed (no "TO" address). The second read flag was that I was offered a job without an interview. Or is this how recruiters hire now?

Does anyone in Singapore or SE Asia know about this hotel/recruiter. The email I have for them is [email protected]. Comments?

Cheers, Jacob
KayuJati

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the advert to which you are replying:

http://www.ul.ie/careers/careers/jobfile/Teaching%20Vacancies.shtml#harbour

But, an earlier e-mail scam lists the same hotel looking for workers:

http://www.419baiter.com/_scam_emails/08-08g/scam-email-36135.html

So, caveat emptor. If they ask you for money up-front to pay for a visa, or book tickets, or whatever, it is a scam. If it truly is a job offer, you will have to show up and see if they pay you after 2- to 4-weeks of work.

I certainly don't know why a hotel needs so many teachers. Are they trying to run a school under the hotel's name? Odd.

For Malaysia topics, check out the 'Greater Asia' forum.
sanpedro72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: one addition Reply with quote

I forgot to add the original message that was from CES Group and they someone under Harbour View Recruiting sent the offer. Sounds like a subcontractor - similiar to how they recruit in countries like Saudi Arabia. Anyhow, I replied with an email asking about classes, material, ages, levels, etc and it's been two days since my inquiry without a response so who knows?

Thanks, I'll post the full story on Greater Asia.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: