Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overseas phone calls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravenswant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Overseas phone calls Reply with quote

Hey all, North American guy here headed to IH Bogota for the Feb CELTA training. Feeling reasonable well equiped to deal with most of what I'm likely encounter thanks to all of your willingness to share your experience and knowledge and partly my willingness to wing it. Thank You All.

Any suggestions regarding land line telecommunications. I have a Skype acount which is great for my wired friends and business associates but there are times when it would be convenient if folks contacting me were only required to dial a US phone number. Any suggestions? Magic Jack seems to be a possible option but I'm still a little unclear about the dialing a US phone number from a land line in the states to reach me on my laptop in Bogota.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
BocaNY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Magic Jack but I did have a number through Skype. It was used as a land line. It worked fine. Though I will say that I was in the states at the time I had it and people calling me where too. Don't know if that helps but that is my experience.

Happy Holidays.
MNguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Gmail account there is now a free service which allows calls to landlines in the States.
G22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overseas phone calls Reply with quote

Ravenswant wrote:
Hey all, North American guy here headed to IH Bogota for the Feb CELTA training. Feeling reasonable well equiped to deal with most of what I'm likely encounter thanks to all of your willingness to share your experience and knowledge and partly my willingness to wing it. Thank You All.

Any suggestions regarding land line telecommunications. I have a Skype acount which is great for my wired friends and business associates but there are times when it would be convenient if folks contacting me were only required to dial a US phone number. Any suggestions? Magic Jack seems to be a possible option but I'm still a little unclear about the dialing a US phone number from a land line in the states to reach me on my laptop in Bogota.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Taking the CELTA at IH Bogota is a mistake, however in regards to your question, you can make international phone calls from any number of internet cafe type places in the city for relatively cheap. You can also buy a pre paid cell phone and call the US using it, however it is considerably more expensive.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a $3 a month skype plan that lets me call unlimited to cell phones and landlines in Canada and the United States. Pays for itself in one phone call.
tekkendama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a gmail account.

all calls to the USA are free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: