Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crime in San Jose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missclow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Crime in San Jose Reply with quote

Hi, I'm moving to San Jose in January to work for International House. I spoke to a girl who worked there and said San Jose is very unsafe and a few people she knew were held at gun point. I was wondering how unsafe it is and what precautions to take and what to do if such a situation should arise. I'm 27, female, English and blonde....so am slightly worried!
jprimm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is dangerous here, especially at night. Just use common sense and do not go out alone at night...Do not carry a lot of money. Never carry your laptop. Sometimes it is a really pain in the arss...
I Rub Ruchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone update security in San Jose
Jen.Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the dangerous comment.

There's a reason everyone has barbed-wire around their houses. During the day it's okay, just don't flash your expensive items or carry too much money etc., with you and you'll be fine.

I'm 26 yo/single female with light eyes and hair - got stared at and the guys whisper things in my ears a lot but other then that annoyance it was fine.

Make sure you have some extra money so you can take little weekend trips to the beaches and beautiful rain-forests around Costa Rica!
JonnyBBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been to any of the other big cities in Central America? In comparison I'd say it felt similar to Guatemala City or San Pedro Sula. Better than Managua but worse than Mexico City. Guy or girl, you should be fine during the day, although you might find your first couple of weeks a bit nerve-wracking. Dressing sensibly and taking taxis at night is the trick Wink
Jen.Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Have you been to any of the other big cities in Central America? In comparison I'd say it felt similar to Guatemala City or San Pedro Sula. Better than Managua but worse than Mexico City. Guy or girl, you should be fine during the day, although you might find your first couple of weeks a bit nerve-wracking. Dressing sensibly and taking taxis at night is the trick

Yeah, I traveled through Central America for a few months before getting to Costa Rica! I was in Mexico City for 2 weeks by myself and felt safer there then in San Jose. Tegucigalpa in Honduras was way worse and I wasn't in Managua long enough to know but I didn't leave the hostel if that's any indication of how safe it felt.

Taxis at night, safety in numbers, all the usual advice Wink
dhsampso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second that on not carrying a lot of money/valuables with you. I've had friends, gringo and tico alike, get robbed at gun point during the day even. I have family in CR and they attributed the recent (last few years) spike in theft and armed robbery to the tough economic environment. Jen.Johnson's advice is perfect. I lived in San Pedro and knew of people getting robbed along avenida central at 10-11pm at night. Unless you're literally walking a block or two to go to another bar/restaurant at night, get a taxi. Buses stop working at 10is. It may cost 700 colones just to go a few blocks, but better than losing your wallet.
jprimm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Crime Reply with quote

Yes, crime here is now a major problem. I have been here in San Jose for almost 5 years and the last two years there has been a significant increase. I am considering leaving the country. Everyone I know has been robbed at one time or another.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only in Costa Rica for a year, but the crime was a factor in me leaving. I didn't like the feeling of having to lock myself into a compound in my apartment to be safe and constantly looking over my shoulder at night to see if someone was following me or if the next motorcycle might have someone jump off to rob me (happened to my tico friend and gringo friends). I honestly felt safer in Nicaragua and Antigua, Guatemala than in most parts of Costa Rica, sans very touristy areas.
ldragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of a factor is crime for men? I live in a semi-sketchy neighborhood in USA. I wouldn't want my girlfriend walking alone at night, but I feel like I can handle most of the knuckleheads that come my way, which is pretty rare.
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How unsafe is it?? Worse than Brixton or the Bronx?
tuanis mae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime exists yes, but its hardly the imposing ever present fact of daily life that is be described here. Ive lived here for 8 years, have a wife and kids, and have never given crime a 2nd thought, and it has never affected my life in the least. I walk home at night from work alone every day. Yes i have heard stories and know people who have been robbed, but lets not blow it out of proportion and have people imagining El Salvador. Its a city. Cities have crime.
prometheusg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the comments I've read so far. It's a city and cities have crime. I've heard of a few teachers get robbed, yes. It's not exactly a rarity, but it's not something you should worry about on a daily basis. A little bit of common sense goes a long way. Take taxis at night, don't flash expensive gadgets around, only carry the money you'll need. DON'T carry around your passport - keep it locked up somewhere safe. Just relax and you should have a good time. Most Ticos are very friendly. Smile
retro_joe

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contract there ended in '09. Most of my fellow foreigners lived near San Pedro/the schools to the east. During daylight hours, you were generally fine, tho not immune. However, just about everyone I knew (including myself) wound up with a "almost got pickpocketed"/"had to leg it out of there"/"I got mugged by someone with a weapon" story.

That said, I did walk a mile to the Sunday market or football every week. I did frequently get drunk and take a cab or walk home. I did take random taxis off the street and more often rode the bus. I thought of it as living in a rough city, like a grimy part of NYC or Paris.

Some advice: don't carry your computer or camera or Ipod around with you on the street or when taking the bus at night, carry an ID card and a photocopy of your passport/visa instead of the real document, keep your eyes and ears open, and ladies: don't sit in the front seat of cabs, the Ticos tend to think you're 'loose.'

Finally, bad situations are generally the same the world over. If you can spot a mugger or someone delivering an obvious lie at home, you probably can abroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: