Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone familiar with this school.......

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Anyone familiar with this school....... Reply with quote

Hi There,

I am new to the Thailand scene (after the "Korean Experience" and was wondering if anyone had any experience, first hand or not with the California Language Institute. I have a telephone interview with them soon. They have one insititute in Pattaya. They are offering 34,000 baht - with 88 contact hours and 64 hours of prep etc. Any information etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

DD
DD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Forgot to add..... Reply with quote

Me again. This language centre is located in the grounds of BUU University in Pattaya. Also I am aware that Pattaya is full of tourists (and a lot of men looking for thai ladies, as a female is Pattaya a desirable destination? I am also not much of a drinker and party goer. I have travelled around the islands of Thailand but have never been to Pattaya, so how do the beaches rate compared to others?

Thanks again
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

It seems that you mean that it's located on the campus of Burapha University in Chonburi

http://www.buu.ac.th/webeng/english.html

which is the province that Pattaya is in, but is a different place.

I don't think the location is a problem, but the salary is a bit low unless they offer free accommodation or reduce your hours.
markoinbangkok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Sigmoid... (I usually do!)

But if you are a native female English teacher with experience and a degree why would you do THAT many hours of such dreadful remuneration?

Take it easy on yourself. Get a job that entails about 12 - 16 hours a week and pays at least 36,000 Baht. Women have the power you know, especially this time of year. (Unless you look like a hippy!)

marko

markoinbangkok.com
hagakuri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Statistically Speaking Reply with quote

A University in Thailand that pays around 35,000 baht a month is a keeper. Most of the universities pay around 17,000 to 20,000 baht a month with a 8,000 baht payment for off-campus accomodations. I interviewed with ABAC, which is one of the top international universities in Thailand, at their new Bang-na campus. I was offered the above, and quickly declined. With further negotiations, I was able to get them to increase it to 23,000 but the increase would would require me lecturing additional hours. I kindly said no.

Here is MY rough guesstimate on the salary percentages. This is based on the job offers that I see posted on the Net, as will as textual media coming out of Thailand.. ie the Bangkok Post and The Nation. These figures are for base salary only.

0,000 - 10,000 1%

10,001 - 14,999 2%

15,000 - 17,500 12%

17,500 - 28,000 47%

28,001 - 31,000 12%

31,001 - 37,000 10%

37,001 - 45,000 5%

45,000 - 51,000 4%

51,000 - 60,000 3%

60,000 - higher 4%

As you can see, about 62% of EFL teachers teaching in Thailand make 28,000 baht or less a month. I think this is pretty true, as when I was there and I talk to other teachers about salary.... most were making under 30,000 a month. These figures are not set in stone. Hell, I probably got it all wrong - you may have a different point of view of the whole matter. If you make 31,000 baht or higher a month, you could consider that you are part of the the top 26 percentile.

By the way, the average Thai teacher makes about 7,000 to 10,000 baht a month.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: It depends on the hours Reply with quote

Quote:
A University in Thailand that pays around 35,000 baht a month is a keeper.

Well, it's not bad, IF it was a university and you had university hours i.e. about 15 hours/week or 60 hrs/month, but this is a language school [California Language Institute] located on a university campus.

The hours as stated by the original poster are 88 teaching hours PLUS 64 additional hours. That's 152 hours per month which is 38 hours/week. That's nearly a full-time, regular job that should pay a full-time regular salary.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: It depends on the hours Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
The hours as stated by the original poster are 88 teaching hours PLUS 64 additional hours. That's 152 hours per month which is 38 hours/week. That's nearly a full-time, regular job that should pay a full-time regular salary.

I agree - even the 88 hours of class time is all right

But that 64 hours of prep time - Do they really require so much for prep time?

You're gonna be exhausted!
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Standard Reply with quote

It's the standard deal in Thailand. You allegedly have to put in a full day. The total hours work out to about 38 a week. Punch in, punch out and try to stay sane when you are not in the classroom. In fact, try to stay sane when you are in the classroom. It's more than a decent upcountry salary, but I agree the teaching hours are a little high. However, I've seen a lot worse. PM me if you have any specific questions concerning the area.
petermc

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Locals Salary Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what the local teachers get for pay. Their situation is much different than ours. And I would guess they are lucky to have a job period and can do quite well on 10,000 Baht
hagakuri

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Yes, much different Reply with quote

Yes, there situation is much different than the foreign teachers. Firstly, at the school that I worked at, the Thai teachers worked about 80 hours more a month than we did. This equates to about 5 extra hours a day. Then throw-in the extra weekend work they do, and the shorter vacations that they get and it all adds up to that they are underpaid by many standards.

The view is this: they are people. We are people. They are college educated with working experience, as we are. The disparity in salaries is far too great.

Yes, there situation is much different than ours. Many Thai teachers have children that they need to support. Have bills etc.... they pay the same price that we pay for everything (except tourist items at their venues). If they can do 'quite well' on 10,000 baht a month than so should the foreigner.

Simply, they have life responsibilities. I am not saying that the foreigner does not, but the vast majority of foreigners spend their money on going-out, shopping for clothes and other non necessities.

As far as them being 'lucky' to have a job. What horse did you ride in on? You should really think about what you said there.

Some people...... geeeeeez!
petermc

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: I stand by what I said Reply with quote

There is always this talk about " it's a kings salary here in Wuxi" or it is so much more than the locals.

The fact remains unless we have other sources of income, these salary's are not enough for most of us.

And it is also a fact many economies are poor and as a local, they can live for far less than we can in their place.

This isn't a human rights issue. I know they are people. My wife is from one of those poor countries and my daughter was born their. Making my daughter a native of that country.

This is economics. Period
ajarn

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact remains unless we have other sources of income, these salary's are not enough for most of us.

What a load of crap, if 62% of teachers are getting 28,000 or less then it must be enough. Maybe it`s not enough for the guy who has to live in an aircon apartment complex with satellite TV and swimming pool. Someone who has to eat farang food gets pissed up and pays a visit to Nana once a week. You people really amaze me. You want to do f##k all work for great pay. Thing is you would still complain about it if you had it. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and f##k off back to farangland.
petermc

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: needs back home Reply with quote

Last month I sent $900 back to my wife and child in the states. How much is that in Baht?

I lived on 300 dollars myself and gave $400 for rent.

Are you talking about someone who comes there to play. I am not.

I live in the real world.
ajarn

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well welcome to planet earth. USD$400 rent per month, what`s that about 17,000 baht a month. I would be well pissed off if I was your wife. You could easily be sending her USD$1,100 - USD$1,200 amonth.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: