Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to apply for a job in 2005?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rubyred72

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: When to apply for a job in 2005? Reply with quote

Hi

My boyfriend and I are recent CELTA graduates and would like to work West Java (preferabley somewhere around Bogor or Bandung) in 2005.

When is the best time to start applying for positions?

Any tips, tricks, hints etc would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Amanda
willy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in Bogor only EF very low pay and snobby teachers,but but everyone says is goob Mad but i would nevery work for them or ILP for that matter.

anyway never never work for under 6 mil if you like to party 10 mil will be better. find out if there is a house for the teacher and ask if you need to pay rent Evil or Very Mad thats the first sign of a rip (will pay the teacher and then charge them for rent), is there hot water? A/C? and how far is it to the school (:30 in a cramped bus in the rain is not fun)
ls650

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy wrote:
anyway never never work for under 6 mil if you like to party 10 mil will be better.

Of course 10 million will be better - but the fact of the matter is that two new teachers with little experience are unlikely to get an offer for 10 million from any school in Indonesia!

A new teacher - with no family to support - should be able to live comfortably on 7 or 8 million Rp (about $800 or $900 US).

I work for a school in Jakarta, Indonesia. My net income after tax is $900 US. I use the school's housing (a shared house), so I pay about $100 US per month for rent and basic utilities (electric, water, cable TV, etc.) All the bedrooms have AC.

Our house has a live-in maid who cooks and cleans. We each pay the maid an additional $40 a month to cook lunch and dinner Monday through Friday.

I have dial-up (can't get broadband where I live) and that's about $1 US per hour. I usually use the local internet cafe for about 50 cents an hour.

I spend maybe another $100 a month on food and drink in the house. I eat well, but don't drink a lot of booze - maybe a few cans of beer a week. In addition I usually blow about say another $100/month on restaurants, music, VCDs, clothes, and western luxuries.

The rest I bank. For first half of my contract I wasted a lot of money but now that I'm nearing the end I'm pinching my pennies so that I have money to move to my next job. I estimate that when I finish the contract I'll have saved up about $5000 US.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have recently had a lot of help from people on this forum since I have been investigating the sort of positions you guys are looking for, albeit I will be moving to Indonesia this September. In terms of geography I would prefer Bandung above all other cities, but I have been investigating other alternatives and keeping a fairly open mind. Having said that, I wouldn't touch Medan or central/North Jakarta with a long pole... but that is just my opinion.

Salaries I have been offered range from 4M to 8M but I have found that the headline salary figure alone is not a reliable comparison between schools. Some include decent a/c accomodation with a bathroom worthy of the name in a convenient location, and living costs appear to vary widely even within Java. I have a PhD in a completely unrelated subject (neuroscience!) and several years' teaching experience but not in EFL. I already speak some Malay.

I don't know about your plans but I intend to stick around in Indonesia for a couple of years (or more) and in many ways I'd gladly sacrifice a high headline salary for pleasant surroundings and/or a helpful and supportive employer. I don't plan on saving any money in the first year as I already have modest savings to fall back on.

My research on this forum and elsewhere suggests that in Bandung there are a couple of very good employers such as TBI, while the three EF schools in the city are pretty good by EF standards. Lots of EFL work in Bandung involves teaching university and high school students, and this is the kind of teaching that interests me.

As I said, I am NOT a resident expert just someone who has done a bit of preliminary research like yourselves. Do read the Job Information Journal and you'll soon make a few useful contacts with people who know far more about life in Indonesia than the likes of me.
willy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if iso650 has a school supplied housing for 100US $ and there are 4 teachers living there that�s 400$ =3,440,000Rp at 8,600 to 1USmy rent in a very nice 5 bedroom house and a several fruit trees in the front was only 2,500,000 a month, that means the school makes extra buy over charging there one staff that on top of the 1 mil per student or about 10-15 mil per class x7 to 10 classes that�s 70-150 mil every 2 months and you only see 14 -16- mil, so less than 10 %, - the rent of course ok call it 9%.

If I was home and paid my employee 10% and then tried to charge him 2x more for rent ??. Well I have received housing many a time and never been charged for it!!

If your getting business class off site make sure you get paid for the taxi and tools too.
drgonzo

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso650? you are paying a pembantu $40 each per month?
How many people in the house?
I've had pembantus before, as well as my friends have hired some before, and the standard rate is somewhere near $40 -$50 altogether!
If your pembantu is getting $80, $120, or more he/she is getting one hell of a deal!
Also, I agree with Willy...
You can get a house on your own in some places in JKT for 16 million a year... so about 1.33juta a month...
Hell... you can go to a good size luxury kos for about 1.5j a month, and that includes AC, Kablevision, Hot water, laundry.... etc..
ls650

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I'm getting ripped off - yet on my salary I'm still able to keep my living expenses down to about 3 million a month and live a comfortable lifestyle.
- LS650
willy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that as low paid workers we should not be giving it back to the school owners they aren�t doing you any big favors ESL school contracts aren�t decsined to give you squat there only made so the school can legally not pay you what they stated. And even if they were what are you going to do if the school tells you get lost we don�t need you any more your visa has been canceled and you must live within 2 weeks�.
Even if you had the $ to fly back and take them to court ��..

Let�s face it 10 mil is equal to getting 14 $ an Hr at home without the benefits and you don`t need to sign a contract �.
willy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso650 as i rember you said you were getting 10 miland were saving 5 of that, a DOS should be mid mangment and making around 15 mil.
now you say you are get 900US=7,807.5Rp at todays rate.

all i can say is WOW I WISH I COULD GET BY ON 3MIL maybe you can teach me how????
ls650

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was acting as DOS for about 4 months while the school looked for a new DOS. Now that a DOS has been hired I'm back to being a regular teacher, and earning a salary of 8 juta.

As for living on 3 juta a month, I don't need to explain how: you've already outlined the costs yourself - and the total was about 3 million! Cool
Winmar

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda, apply whenever. People leave when their contracts are up, which can be at any time of year. Vacancies arise when someone else leaves..... Where did you do the CELTA? Give me a shout if you want any more info.

What gugelhupf said is pretty accurate actually. Much better to be on lower pay in pleasant surrounds than on a high income in a dump!

Only a DOS gets 10m in Bandung!
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would like to apply for work as a Pembantu - at $200 a month with free accomodation Shocked Shocked Shocked that's almost EF salary!!

Or I'll go commando style & go live in the jungle with Willy Cool
willy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you come here bring your one Scotch as you cant find any here, only jungle jucebut you must fight the monkeys for it!
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Willy's only teasing. I'm sure that in reality he lives in a great palace of a place with an army of servants - a modern day Raja Brookes!
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: jus Reply with quote

WILLY...there's no IF only WHEN Cool

BTW I had the 'magic water' when i was last in kalimantan - made me nuts for days...think I will stick with the Scotch - I'll bring you a bottle of Black Label over Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: