Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interested in Bogota, need info and reality check.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Higo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Interested in Bogota, need info and reality check. Reply with quote

I've scoured these forums looking for a good place to teach in Latin America. What is a "good place to teach" for me? Somewhere with a reasonable wage, (I know I won't get rich) interesting things to see nearby, relatively safe, not cost-prohibitive for an occasional family member to visit, and great place to practice and expand my Spanish.

So far, Bogota is high on the list. A few things...I'm not a carefree recent college grad. I'm 35, married, and have 2 tiny dogs. Yes, it's wacky that we are willing to uproot for this. Yes, it's bananas that I'm leaving my career. But we're ready for a change. And hopefully that change isn't a dumb idea..so here is the reality check part.

I have an undergrad degree and volunteer teach ESL students and refugees (and love it,) and I'm wrapping up a TEFL course. I may need a CELTA it sounds like? Yes, no? Could I get hired without it?

Can we find a place to live, a 1Br, where we could have our little dogs? They are like 12lbs of dog, combined weight. But is Bogota dog friendly with rentals?

Can I work enough to pay rent and eat, but still be able to go/see/do? (Spouse works remotely, low/modest income) Meaning, am I tied up with splits 5 days a week? Or can I expect like 15/20 hours a week and my time is mine? (Yes we will have some savings, but don't want to dip into it too excessively)

OK, tell me what you think. Please try not to be the turd in the punchbowl of my plans because I do want to make this work. That said, I respect your feedback, and if you think I'm high (in a bad way) please say so.

Sidebar: I kind of like the idea of an IH type deal where you can have some hours, maybe not a ton, but you get a VISA and that layer of security. Remember, I'm old as EFL goes. Plus, can't make too many border runs with those dogs, right?
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if a work visa provides status for spouses (this is the one major hitch in the plan if not.) I'll give a more detailed reply later, but I don't know the answer to this part.
Higo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could probably do border runs if we had to.
MNguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Interested in Bogota, need info and reality check. Reply with quote

Higo wrote:
I've scoured these forums looking for a good place to teach in Latin America. What is a "good place to teach" for me? Somewhere with a reasonable wage, (I know I won't get rich) interesting things to see nearby, relatively safe, not cost-prohibitive for an occasional family member to visit, and great place to practice and expand my Spanish.

So far, Bogota is high on the list. A few things...I'm not a carefree recent college grad. I'm 35, married, and have 2 tiny dogs. Yes, it's wacky that we are willing to uproot for this. Yes, it's bananas that I'm leaving my career. But we're ready for a change. And hopefully that change isn't a dumb idea..so here is the reality check part.

I have an undergrad degree and volunteer teach ESL students and refugees (and love it,) and I'm wrapping up a TEFL course. I may need a CELTA it sounds like? Yes, no? Could I get hired without it?

Can we find a place to live, a 1Br, where we could have our little dogs? They are like 12lbs of dog, combined weight. But is Bogota dog friendly with rentals?

Can I work enough to pay rent and eat, but still be able to go/see/do? (Spouse works remotely, low/modest income) Meaning, am I tied up with splits 5 days a week? Or can I expect like 15/20 hours a week and my time is mine? (Yes we will have some savings, but don't want to dip into it too excessively)

OK, tell me what you think. Please try not to be the turd in the punchbowl of my plans because I do want to make this work. That said, I respect your feedback, and if you think I'm high (in a bad way) please say so.

Sidebar: I kind of like the idea of an IH type deal where you can have some hours, maybe not a ton, but you get a VISA and that layer of security. Remember, I'm old as EFL goes. Plus, can't make too many border runs with those dogs, right?

TEFL is good here, no work at IH, but just about every other place that doesn't profit from CELTA courses honors it.

Very dog friendly culture, no problem finding an apt.

Really depends. You will start out as low man on the totem pole, but if you work hard, your students like you and you are reliable, the money is ok.

Go for it, man.
MNguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBravo wrote:
Does anybody know if a work visa provides status for spouses (this is the one major hitch in the plan if not.) I'll give a more detailed reply later, but I don't know the answer to this part.

My first reaction is no, but who knows? Depends on whom you speak with at DAS/MRE and whether they like the way you smell that day.

The work visa takes up an entire page in your passport and I just have a hard time imagining that there is an esposa exemption/allowance.
Sammy13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much friendlier dog culture in Colombia. You see dogs everywhere even inside the malls. Lots of dog shows.
G22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't need a CELTA to get a job, at least not at a language institute.
Higo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know on the CELTA, dogs, etc.

Addressing the visa issue...could I get a visa and we just do occasional border runs for my husband? Is this acceptable and doable?

Thanks for the feedback -- it's really helpful.
Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higo wrote:
Good to know on the CELTA, dogs, etc.

Addressing the visa issue...could I get a visa and we just do occasional border runs for my husband? Is this acceptable and doable?

Thanks for the feedback -- it's really helpful.

It's pretty hard to get ironclad living/working conditions in any country unless you have some kind of diplomatic status. It's worth bearing in mind though that the authorities here are very helpful to tourists. Where we're from, rules are set in stone and widely regarded as being more important than people. In Latin America, it's quite the reverse -- the 'rules' are more like 'suggestions' -- if you don't follow them, it will cost you time and money, but I haven't heard of anyone being jailed or deported or interfered with. Be creative!
JacobTM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogot� is a city where English teachers can make a decent wage.

In a nice area, you could rent a 1 BR apt that will let you have dogs for maybe 1 million pesos a month, or about $550 US.

If you want to work 15-20 hours a week, understand that you will be travelling alot, and most likely you will be given morning classes at 6 or 7am, and evening classes as the work day ends at 5 or 6. You can expect to earn between 1.5 million and 2 million as a starting teacher.

You can definitely get hired without a CELTA, I personally know many people doing that, but it's definitely easier with a CELTA and some companies have pay-scales where they automatically pay CELTA teachers more.

However, the course does cost $1,500 US at International House Bogot�, so it is a serious expense.

If your wife earns at least $1,000 a month US, it should be no problem.

The biggest problem I think will be renting an apt. I have rented rooms from people, which isn't a problem, but if you want a whole place to yourself you often have to go through all sortsa paperwork and BS like that.

Of course, you can find people who rent apts without worrying about paperwork, but it's a search.
Higo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. I really appreciate it. Yeah, seems like the CELTA is mixed on return on investment. I think I have to look at it as good training, not dwell on the money/wage ratio, you know? (Even though that's my first reaction to a 1500$ class offered by the very people who are possibly hiring you)

As for the rooms...maybe I can check the classifides...maybe we just show up and get something temp and spend a little more time looking?

Thanks for the help everybody -- open to any/all wisdom from the group.
CountBassD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higo wrote:
Great info. I really appreciate it. Yeah, seems like the CELTA is mixed on return on investment. I think I have to look at it as good training, not dwell on the money/wage ratio, you know? (Even though that's my first reaction to a 1500$ class offered by the very people who are possibly hiring you)

If you want to work only in Bogota, a CELTA will help, but not be essential. If you want to work in other parts of the world, a CELTA is GREATLY needed. You cannot get jobs in Asia or Europe without a CELTA, but with a CELTA, degree and experience, you can go to Asia and work a pretty comfy job with flights and apartments paid for. A CELTA is a worthwhile investment.

Higo wrote:
As for the rooms...maybe I can check the classifides...maybe we just show up and get something temp and spend a little more time looking?

Don't expect your first apt in Bogota to be your last. I've been here just over 7 months, I've basically moved twice and everyone I know has moved at least once, some as many as three times. You have to come and figure out what neighborhood you want to live in and you usually don't figure that out for a few months. Bogota is huge and sprawling, and basically is many attached cities. Check www.compartoapto.com and look for rooms there. Getting your own apartment takes a lot of work and you'll want the transition moving here to be as easy as possible, there will be plenty of stress in other areas, you won't want apartment problems to be added on to that. There will be problems, there are always problems in Colombia. Get a room with roommates and then once you've settled other aspects go for that dream place in La Macarena, Chapinero, Cedritos, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: