Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Bunch of Amateurish Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diminishing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: A Bunch of Amateurish Questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new in these parts and hope you'll indulge me in asking some possibly irritating questions. There's such a wealth of information out there (a lot of it conflicting) that I'm finding it hard to draw any firm conclusion. Anyway:

My Background

About to graduate with a BSc in Mathematics from a top univeristy in the UK.
Intending to obtain a CELTA after graduation.
Looking to spend a year or two (or three) teaching abroad.

Queries

1) Firstly, I'd like some suggestions as to which country would suit me best. I'd like to work in a somewhat relaxed environment without much pressure or over-long hours (20 or so a week). It should be noted that I'm not particularly money oriented. I'd be happy with enough to support myself and drink the occasional beer or ten; I don't feel the need to save as yet. I'd also like somewhere with a unique culture and landscape (subjective, I know). Based on this I thought that China would be a good option but I've read that several years of work experience are necessary. I'm also pretty fond of scuba diving and would be interested in learning a martial art but these are by no means necessities.

2) While I think I will get a CELTA (as I'd like to actually be able to teach with some degree of confidence and skill) would it perhaps be more beneficial to do a less reputable (partially online) course considering I doubt I'll be pursuing ESL/TEFL as a career.

Actually, I think that's it at the moment. I imagine I'll have a few more questions as I whittle down my options. Thanks to whomever has read this! (Additional thanks for replies). I hope with a little experience I too can become a helpful, contributing member of these forums.

Cheers,

Diminishing
shenyanggerry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, get the CELTA. It's widely recognized. I'd suggest northeast China. I enjoyed Shenyang but cities like Chungchun and Harbin are also nice areas. Pollution in Shenyang is bad but anywhere south of there it's horrible. The summers in the south are also terribly hot and humid. You'll want to be in one of the larger cities both because of the availibility of western amenities and the larger ex-pat population.

North of Shenyang, you trade colder, longer winters for less pollution because of decreased population density. I recommentd the northeast mostly because the people are friendlier there than any other part of China I've seen. I would definitely avoid Beijing and Shanghai.

I suggest you get a position at a university. When you consider how few hours you work, the hourly rate is quite tempting. Most of my colleagues there also picked up some extra work to give them more money. Universities I've been associated with paid on time and in full. The accommodationthey provided was nice.
Diminishing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shenyanggerry wrote:
Yes, get the CELTA. It's widely recognized. I'd suggest northeast China. I enjoyed Shenyang but cities like Chungchun and Harbin are also nice areas. Pollution in Shenyang is bad but anywhere south of there it's horrible. The summers in the south are also terribly hot and humid. You'll want to be in one of the larger cities both because of the availibility of western amenities and the larger ex-pat population.

North of Shenyang, you trade colder, longer winters for less pollution because of decreased population density. I recommentd the northeast mostly because the people are friendlier there than any other part of China I've seen. I would definitely avoid Beijing and Shanghai.

I suggest you get a position at a university. When you consider how few hours you work, the hourly rate is quite tempting. Most of my colleagues there also picked up some extra work to give them more money. Universities I've been associated with paid on time and in full. The accommodationthey provided was nice.

Thanks a lot for the informative reply! Appreciate it. I was also thinking that universities would best suit my needs but it seems that most of the adverts require a year or two of teaching experience. Do you think it's possible without? Also, I assume you'd agree that China would be the best country to work in for a relaxed environment/workplace? I neglected to mention that I'm mainly interested in south east Asia.

Cheers!
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have a degree in math, yet you don't want "pressure" by switching to a totally different type of field and have no experience in it before traveling thousands of miles to start it (even if only for 1-3 years). I don't think you really know what you're getting into. Even in places as open, friendly, and sociable as Thailand or Cambodia, teaching is teaching. With just a CELTA under your belt, it's going to be pressure-filled. Best of luck.
Diminishing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
You will have a degree in math, yet you don't want "pressure" by switching to a totally different type of field and have no experience in it before traveling thousands of miles to start it (even if only for 1-3 years). I don't think you really know what you're getting into. Even in places as open, friendly, and sociable as Thailand or Cambodia, teaching is teaching. With just a CELTA under your belt, it's going to be pressure-filled. Best of luck.

I'm not adverse to hard work; the pressure thing is more about working hours and the general attitude than the work itself. I don't mind struggling. I welcome it in fact. Just as long as I'm not bored...
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put some things into perspective.

20 teaching hours is NOT 20 working hours. By the time you add prep and other work it is almost assured that it is much closer to a regular 40 hour work week.

The "easiest" work in Asia is working in your average language academy.
Minimal prep, walk in, talk, play and do a work book and go home.

With a degree, teaching in a government school is obtainable virtually everywhere in Asia, you do a regular 40 hour week and go home but the job, although pretty much stress free won't be easy (large classes of very low level learners).

In most of Asia the CELTA is a waste of money for anyone who is not in this for the long haul. With the notable exception of Thailand, Singapore and Malayasia it isn't given any more recognition than a cheap, on-line TESOL cert. at about 10% of the cost.

Probably the best place for a newbie to get his feet wet in a gap year or 3 in ESL would be Korea. (go register on the Korean forums) http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/index.php . For someone with NO experience and NO qualifications other than an unrelated degree it is still the best bang (pay and benefits) for your buck.

Trebek

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]2) While I think I will get a CELTA (as I'd like to actually be able to teach with some degree of confidence and skill) would it perhaps be more beneficial to do a less reputable (partially online) course considering I doubt I'll be pursuing ESL/TEFL as a career.

Very very few college trained teachers are good the first two or three years. Just focus on doing what you can to help your students, and most will get something out of your class. Half my job is helping students with their personal problems, including social skills.

There are lots of jobs teaching Math in China I've noticed, your student would probably already have decent English skills. seriousteachers.com is a pretty good source for some of those jobs.

You might happen to love teaching you never know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: