Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Citizenships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Citizenships Reply with quote

How many of us have considered adding or deleting one?

Now, it's Superman!!!

Quote:
Truth, justice and not just the American way � Superman decides it's time to become a global citizen in the 900th issue of Action Comics.

�I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy,� says the man of steel after both U.S. and Iranian officials criticize him for attending a peaceful anti-Ahmadinejad protest in Tehran.

"I stayed in Azadi Square for 24 hours. I didn't move. I didn't speak. I just stayed there," Superman tells a U.S. national security adviser, who fears the hero has gone rogue. Iran's government, meanwhile accuses him of acting on behalf of the U.S. President, and calls his protection of the million-strong protestors an act of war.

�This is why I intend to speak before the United Nations tomorrow and inform them that I am renouncing my U.S. citizenship,� he announces to a stunned-looking agent.

(More on TIME.com: Superman's story)

The man of steel has long been an American icon, and the shift drew ire from purists and even gave presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee the heebie-jeebies. Huckabee said on Fox News: "Well, it is a comic book, but, you know it's disturbing that Superman who has always been an American icon is now saying 'I'm not going to be a citizen,'" he said. "I think it's a part of a bigger trend of Americans almost apologizing for being Americans."

But while the man of steel wants to be unaffiliated from any government, DC's publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio say he remains as American as ever.

"Superman is a visitor from a distant planet who has long embraced American values," DC's they said Thursday in a statement to the NY Post. "As a character and an icon, he embodies the best of the American Way." He is, they say, like his alter-ego Clark Kent who remains a U.S. citizen, "committed to his adopted home and his roots as a Kansas farm boy from Smallville."

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/03/superman-renounces-u-s-citizenship-in-latest-comic-book/#ixzz1LMptBebg
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one world citizenship - and that's Soviet!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Watch yer step.... Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79dp5JaAAwA
Denizen

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad. An American hero goes independent international contractor.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon. If he didn't renounce his citizenship (along with any right to run for the US presidency, though again birth cert would have been an issue), any intervention in any international situation would be construed as being motivated by political aspirations in the US.

Check out all the heat Obama's taking on this board for the 'politically effective' timing of Osama Bin Laden's assassination. No good deed goes unpunished ...
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
C'mon. If he didn't renounce his citizenship (along with any right to run for the US presidency, though again birth cert would have been an issue), any intervention in any international situation would be construed as being motivated by political aspirations in the US.

Check out all the heat Obama's taking on this board for the 'politically effective' timing of Osama Bin Laden's assassination. No good deed goes unpunished ...

Obama is taking heat for staging a huge hoax and thinking that everyone is dumb enough to fall for it. After combing the planet for the guy for ten years, suddenly we find, capture, execute him, and get rid of the body all within 24 hours??? Question Yeah, OK. Rolling Eyes Aren;t you the least bit interested in who worked with him, etc., to question him awhile before execution?

But rather than derail the thread, let me return to the topic and recommend the World Service Authority passport.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obama is taking heat for staging a huge hoax and thinking that everyone is dumb enough to fall for it.

And he might not be wrong in thinking so. We, ourselves, have a great deal of evidence concerning just how egregiously dumb people can be! Wink
Denizen

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful, now...some of us resemble that remark.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...some of us resemble that remark.

That gave me a good laugh, Denizen! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: