Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Atlantic Straddle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: The Atlantic Straddle Reply with quote

In prior posts I have referred to how I am straddling the Atlantic. Don't fret - it's not a XXX-rated manouevre. Razz

After much (maybe too much) deliberation, I've decided it's time to put both feet on one continent. Europe is the clear-cut winner. Legality is a non-factor as I hold both Canadian/Irish citizenship. I'd prefer to go to a French speaking country as I already have facility with the language, thereby easing at least part of the initial transition. Not much is posted about Belgium or Switzerland, so I'll start with France where I am familiar with the system.

Returning to Paris is always an option. I taught Business English there and quite enjoyed it. However, there is obviously much more to France than Paris.

I've made a shortlist and wondered if anyone could give me info regarding the markets of these locales: Lyon, Rennes, Bordeaux, Grenoble, Strasbourg. Or, if you have any other places to suggest, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Shaman
go2guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaman - Check my post in the Working in France thread re: the Lyon market ... http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=8063&start=15. My recommendation would be to go after the ecoles superieures first as they pay the best and they're most open to hiring people without degrees from the French system. There are several of these schools in all those cities on your list. Where did you teach Business English in Paris?
Shaman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi go2guy.

I was pretty much a veteran of the subway wars as an outsource teacher with Telelangue. The school had a really good atmosphere and a great team. I still keep in touch with many of the teachers and students I met during my tenure there.

Thanks,

Shaman

Last edited by Shaman on Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
go2guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Well, you shouldn't have any problem finding work in other cities with all that "metro-madness" under your belt! A good team is really important for sure- hope you find the right city and school over there. Good luck!
lostinparis

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salut Shaman

A good friend of mine living in Rennes really loves the city, but was saying that the current job market leaves much to be desired. She recently interviewed with one language school who wanted to pay her (gasp!) 9 euros an hour!

Have you visited all of the cities you're considering? I was recently in Strasbourg and loved it. People were so much more laid back than in Paris. I would probably choose it just based on the atmosphere alone, more than anything, as I can't imagine that salaries outside the capital are that variable. Most French usually categorize salaries as "in Paris" or "the rest of France" anyway.

Marseille is also fairly large and probably has some decent opportunities (as well as more sunny days than in Paris).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salut lostinparis,

Or should that be konnichiwa at the moment? Wink Thanks for the reply.

After some careful deliberation, I'm leaning toward Lyon. I should be there by mid-end June. For all intents and purposes, it appears to be a good place to live and raise a family. Anyone care to comment?

Shaman
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a memory-check, Shaman. Lyon is big, suburban, and ..ancient. For some reason it makes me think of solid British cities like Exeter and Birmingham. I used to know some people from there, they were nice and unpretentious, which is the highest praise in my books. I met a history teacher in Cambodia who said many of his students in Lyon were Laotians, Vietnamese, Cambodia, etc. It sounds an interesting place!

(Ive not been myself.)
go2guy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman - Lyon itself is nothing to be desired. As Khermit says, the place is rather ancient. I saw apartments there that I wouldn't consider setting foot in, let alone renting for the 400-500E they're asking for. The traffic is also horrendous. The surrounding areas, especially the Beaulojais just to the north, are quite lovely however. Unless your "significant other" will also be making some "significant income", things like rent, food, etc. can quickly make a good dent in the old portefeuille in Lyon. On the upside, as you may or may not know, married people in France pay less income and other taxes than singletons like yours truly. So with a family in tow (now or in the future?), I would recommend setting up in outlying areas of the city (that have newer, cleaner housing, more green spaces, etc.) & commute by train/subway into where you will work in the city. Shouldn't need more than a half-hour for the commute.
Shaman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies. Regretfully, in the hustle and bustle of getting things organized, I haven't provided you with complete details. Embarassed

I'll be going to France to set up shop. In January, my girlfriend (future wife) and her daughter will be joining me. I met her during my time here in Montreal, and we've decided that life will be better in France. She too is an ESL teacher with uni experience. We plan on adding to the brood in the future. Very Happy So, we�re looking for a nice, clean city to call home.

I recently received email from former colleagues who shared khmerit and go2guy's appraisal of Lyon. Thus, that city is not enjoying its original status as the odds-on favourite. My significant other has been to Strasbourg though, and shares lostinparis' opinion. Cool So, at the moment, it takes the lead.

Other than that, I can't think of much else to add. Many thanks, and once again, sorry for my scatteredness (new word? Razz )

Shaman
lostinparis

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Congratulations on the wedding (and moving) plans!

i think you'll find strasbourg quite refreshing after having lived in Paris previously. Do let us know where you end up!

In case you are still looking into other possibilities, I almost forgot to mention that Toulouse has also been getting rave reviews from nearly everyone I know. When French people usually leave Paris, they always go south. Nearly all of the happiest ones that return say they live in Toulouse and would never come back to Paris. I haven't been there personally, but my man is from there and says it is the best city to live in in France...

just another possibility...
Shaman

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci beaucoup, lostinparis. I'm a very, very lucky guy. Very Happy

I do like the sound of Strasbourg. A relaxed atmosphere is a definite bonus. Toulouse is one city that I forgot. The same goes for Dijon and Avignon. I had them both on my list the first time I took off to France.

One thing I'm truly looking forward to is clean air. Oddly enough, I find the air in Montreal to be worse than in Paris. Maybe it's just me.

Thanks for the Rennes info. I liked the idea of the fresh Atlantic air, but the job prospects leave much to be desired. Can't raise a family on 9 euro/hr. Shocked Gotta go where the jobs are.

Meilleurs Pensees,

Shaman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: