Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa for US citizen
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Negative, misinformed posts on this thread.... Reply with quote

I don't like to do this, but I must since I hate to see misinformation being spread for no good reason.

Smithryansmith says:

Quote:
Czech employers tend to be more willing to hire Americans than other countries in the Schengen Zone (with the possible exceptions of Germany and Poland). Usually, though, Americans are not employed in the CR; they set up a business (via a zivnostensky List).

In order to get this visa you have to provide proof of financial means, and proof of accommodation. The latter must come from a legal Czech entity, or a statement from the owner of a house or apartment, or a lease agreement. Unless they have a reason to, most Czechs will not give you this document because it makes it difficult for them to get rid of a tenant who does not pay rent. Not that you wouldn't, but it's a fear many Czech landlords have. You might also have to apply for the zivnostensky list before you apply for the visa, and this must be applied for in the municipality where your place of business is legally registered (more dealing with Czech landlords).

The above is more of an opinion held by the author than fact. The author portrays all Czech landlords as refusing to give you the visa document. I for one had no problems getting my Czech landlord to give me the document...and of the many other Americans I knew at the school I worked for, nobody ever had a problem (!).

If you have the bank statement proof of funds (to pay rent), a degree, and a TEFL certificate you will have no problem finding work in CZ as an English teacher.

Be aware that some of the posters to this forum may be giving you inaccurate advice; or exaggerate the difficulties 3rd country nationals will have to deal with.

Jesus maria! To je catastropha! Ty volle!
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Negative, misinformed posts on this thread.... Reply with quote

Mercury Morris wrote:
The author portrays all Czech landlords as refusing to give you the visa document.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said ALL Czech landlords will refuse to give you that document. Some will and others won't. Also, if you read later in my post (not smithryansmith's, that's a different poster), you will see that I said most language schools will give you all the documents you need to apply for a visa. How is that negative?

Yes, Americans can get visas to work in the CR. I never said they couldn't. Moreover, I am American and worked in the CR for two years. As for some supposed agenda of trying to keep Americans out of the CR, why would I have one? I am not in the CR, nor am I looking for work in the CR.

The reality is that for Americans to get a Czech visa, the process is long, and requires a number of documents from people in your home country, as well as people in the CR.
Adventurous Midlife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mercury. I appreciate your insight. I found the website you mentioned in my research as well as another one suggested to me: http://easyvisa.cz

Not sure if one service is better than the other, but seems like using some kind of service is almost a necessity. I was hoping to get the trade license started prior to our going since I do freelance work here, but not sure that's possible.
maastricht

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am a US citizen and researching the possibility of obtaining a business visa and a zivno to teach English. I am thinking about hiring a lawyer or other agent to assist me in the process and I have looked at Alexio and a few other places.

Unfortunately, I do not know a word of Czech as I just decided a week ago to think about moving to CR, so I can only read translations of the new laws. At http://www.mvcr.cz/mvcren/article/changes-in-conditions-for-the-entry-and-stay-on-the-territory-of-the-czech-republic-from-2011.aspx?q=Y2hudW09Mw%3d%3d, it says:

"An application for granting a long-term visa should be further submitted to a Czech embassy. It applies a foreign national can only submit the application at the embassy in his/her country of origin (in the state he/she is a citizen of, or which has issued his/her travel document, or in the state where the foreign national has a permitted long-term or permanent residence). Exceptions to this obligation are stipulated by the Regulation of the Ministry of the Interior."

Does anyone know whether this law applies in my situation and that I must submit my visa application before leaving the US? Because the visa application requires a zivno, I would have to apply for a zivno long before leaving the US if this is the case.
maastricht

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.epravo.cz/_dataPublic/sbirky/2010/sb0148-2010.pdf

Are these the regulations interpreting the new visa requirements? I can't read it. Sad
thesteve

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BA Degree is NOT a requirement that is set in stone.

I spent 9 years teaching in Prague. I know many MANY teachers who have been teaching there for years that have no degrees other than a TEFL certification. I even know a few DOS's with nothing but a TEFL as well.

Getting a zivnost requires a lot of running around and more stamps than you can bare to stomach. Do not be scared off by the "landlord wont give you the needed letter for a zivnost". That is pure BS, they all will.

When I got my zivnost I didn't have the (at the time) $6000 for the financial obligation, so my Czech friend lent it to me, Ebanka gave me the verification letter, and I transferred the money back to him. No problems. Ebanka (who are now Raiffessan) even told me flat out they do this sort of thing all the time for foreigners getting a zivnost.

I admit, some of the posts I have read on this Czech forum do indeed seem like scare tactics. Living there as long as i did, I can tell you its nowhere near as difficult as some people here are making it out to be.

Just have patience, thats all.
westbrook1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Prague and the Czech Rep. It's a beautiful place. But this does seem like quite a lot of hassle considering the wage one receives...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: