Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much time and money needed to turn up in Prague to teach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: how much time and money needed to turn up in Prague to teach Reply with quote

I have read a lot of posts here, so it seems my best bet is to turn up and then search for jobs. Also, having worked in Moscow, I learnt that nobody wants to recruit from abroad. In Moscow, it took only a matter of weeks to get a full schedule, when arriving Aug/Sep.

I would plan to arrive in Prague Aug/Sep and then search for jobs. But I was just wondering what amount of money would I need in order to get started. I know that in Moscow, the demand for experienced native speakers is high (i'm british) and i've read that CZ doesn't get enough british native speakers so should i be quietly confident?

Anyway, i am waffling. Any help would be appreciated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you've got a certification (on-site, with teaching practice included) you should be competitive. That's because there are so many TEFL training centres in the city - almost every single newb on the market has a CELTA or equivalent. Your experience in Russia will be a plus- try to get letters of recommendation from both employer and students, if possible.

Timing is good, too - yes, I'd say you could be relatively confident of finding decent work.

As a newbie to the city, you'll have to expect the shifts that teachers who were here last year are moving out of - splits, travel around the city, etc - but it'll be substantially the same as it was in Moscow.

As for money, if you plan for your first paycheck (worst case) at the end of October, you can pretty much calculate. I think Prague's still substantially cheaper than Moscow in terms of food, travel, entertainment, and (even) housing, though housing will be a pretty high percentage of your monthly salary. If you don't mind sharing, a school should be able to hook you up with some other teachers.

Roughly, I'd guess 1,000 - 1,500 euro/month would get you through the first bit - probably you could get by on less, but initial housing may eat up more than usual. Invest in a travel pass asap - and hope that your employer will reimburse you for it - they usually provide this, as they are sending you around the city to clients.

You probably already know the city, but I think the transition from Moscow to Prague will be very pleasant - Prague's much smaller and less intense, but still has a lot going on.

Good luck!
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info! looking forward to checking it out! You mention letters of recommendation - i have found these to be no problem when asking. The problem is them following through.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sometimes drafted a very basic letter and let the referee edit it, rather than making them start from scratch. They usually alter my bare-bones edition substantially, to be honest, (favourably, thank goodness - I write modestly to begin with), but it's evidently less daunting work than facing a blank screen and trying to think of something appropriate and complimentary.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

writing a reference is a part of their job. They can say no! I have no idea where to start if writing my own reference! I have no idea what that person can say about me.

In the UK, if someone doesn't want to give a reference they say they don't know you well enough blaa. A professional reference only says 'yes, he worked here xx dates, he was organised, he was punctual, received positive feedback from students' end. I guess being in Russia people lack the professionalism that is standard for jobs in the UK.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess being in Russia people lack the professionalism that is standard for jobs in the UK

Shocked

I wouldn't say that. I've got letters of rec from employers and co-workers who are from the UK, Canada, Czech Rep, Luxembourg, Belgium, Russia Germany, Netherlands, and Austria (so far). Every busy teacher and manager has the right to say 'no,' I've just helped to make the task a bit less onerous by providing a standard template. You can find them with a google search.

But of course you don't have to help them out if you don't want to.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough. a little bit of my lack of professionalism showing...
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgiven. Nice park bench there:-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: