Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medellin vs Bogota, work visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

which city do you prefer, Medellin or Bogota?
Medellin
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Bogota
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

G22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever JacobTm and Martillo are clearly troll accounts.
niezihan

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it possible to get a work visa while in Colombia, and if so, how is that handled? From what I have read, it is necessary to leave the country in order to do so.

There is a lot of conflicting information regarding the required documents as well. Even the website for the Colombia Consulate has outdated information. They say that it is necessary to have the Certificado de Proporcinalidad, which was eliminated in December of last year. It also says that an apostilled college diploma is required, but it doesn't mention it needing to be translated, however other sources do.

People have mentioned working without a visa, but really, how safe is that? How likely are you to face problems for such a thing? It isn't legal, after all.
G22

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niezihan wrote:
So, is it possible to get a work visa while in Colombia, and if so, how is that handled? From what I have read, it is necessary to leave the country in order to do so.

There is a lot of conflicting information regarding the required documents as well. Even the website for the Colombia Consulate has outdated information. They say that it is necessary to have the Certificado de Proporcinalidad, which was eliminated in December of last year. It also says that an apostilled college diploma is required, but it doesn't mention it needing to be translated, however other sources do.

People have mentioned working without a visa, but really, how safe is that? How likely are you to face problems for such a thing? It isn't legal, after all.

You can get a work visa while you are here and yes it does require you to leave the country. Many people work w/o a work visa immigration laws aren't really enforced here, along with many other laws, but of course it is better to be safe. You can also work legally on other visas as well, including the temporary residence visa, which you can get if you are in a relationship and living with a colombian national.
niezihan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the information. I have been trying to get a clear answer on that for a while. That sounds rather problematic.
mlawson1776

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about taking the September CELTA course in Bogota and looking for a job in Medellin(I would prefer Medellin to Bogota). One plan is to work at a language institute in Bogota right after getting my cert., then look for a school job in Medellin, probably in January, when some schools start and some have their mid-year break(and might be hiring). I'm thinking I could get my work visa while in Bogota, making it easier to find a job in Medellin. Just trying to get thoughts on this plan. Is it feasible? Is it misguided? Any info is helpful.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work visa is tied to your job, so getting a visa with a job in Bogota won't really help you find a job in Medellin. It's a bit less complicated to switch your visa to a new job than it is to initially get it, but you still have to find an employer who is willing and able to jump through the hoops for you.

Medellin seems to be a much tougher job market than Bogota. I met a British guy who lives in Medellin and does examinations for Cambridge/British Council. He said that he got work visas for (some of?) his teachers and I know at one point International House wanted somebody to work there. Other than that you could look into EAFIT and colegios in the area. EAFIT would probably be your best bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: