Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The British International Institute - www.bii-iraq.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: The British International Institute - www.bii-iraq.com Reply with quote

Erbilillaians
Has anyone heard of this school. Well see here is your chance for another job consideration if your looking. is looking for two experienced English teachers (ideally British Nationals) to teach adult Iraqi students at Intermediate, Upper Intermediate and Advanced levels.

The school is in a brand new building which is built over five floors. It was designed by a British architect. It has three computer labs with 12 computers in each of the two labs and 42 in the 3rd lab. It houses ten class rooms - 15 students can study in each classroom

Accommodation will be provided- 1 x 2 bedroom flat to share which comprises 1 lounge, 1 kitchen, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. Fully Furnished with all mod cons- Including internet access, Satellite Television and Air Conditioning. They will have no utility bills to pay at all. The only expenses they would need to meet would be food costs and their own entertainment costs.

Each contract will include annual return flights back to the UK and four weeks of holiday pro rata for the six month contract.

Salary will be $2000 per month. There are no taxes on income here, no National insurance contributions or other insurance payments.
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: The British International Institute - www.bii-iraq.com Reply with quote

GOTL wrote:
Accommodation will be provided- 1 x 2 bedroom flat to share which comprises 1 lounge, 1 kitchen, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom.

Salary will be $2000 per month.

Two guys having to share not only the accommodation but one bathroom as well, and only 2 grand per month??? You_gotta_be_ralphin'_me_pops! Laughing

MEB Cool
Linguist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever is heading to Iraq, don't forget that an American university professor was killed about a week ago when a bomb exploded near his car:

http://chronicle.com/article/At-American-U-in-Cairo-a/128091/

Last edited by Linguist on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to hear. But, one point is that Erbil isn't Baghdad.

VS
GOTL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Kurdish North Is Stable Reply with quote

And not even freaking close to Baghdad in terms of violence.
babur

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: language schools in erbil Reply with quote

Hewler (Erbil is the Arabic name) is the capital of Kurdistan. We've been there a couple of times. Very friendly but hardly anybody speaks English. There are a bunch of language school start-ups (remember The Britannia School of English!). $2000 is rock bottom. other foreign nationals, especially NGOs, are earning at least 3x that! unless you decide to "go native" , food prices and restaurants are MUCH more expensive than the US.

Avoid shared accommodation! They're doing it on the cheap. You can get crammed into an apartment with people you wouldn't dream of living with. Small flats are easy to find, especially in the center if you know where to look. I found one for 6 months (very basic, unfurnished, but we kitted it out with used stuff for $150) for $200 a month. Young Americans teaching at the university are on $3000+ with single accommodation in the Christian part of town.
DedicatedTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard there have been some problems getting it running with funding and interest from locals. As a result it may be moving to Suli. Not sure how accurate these reports are, but it is something to think about.
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: language schools in erbil Reply with quote

babur wrote:
Young Americans teaching at the university are on $3000+ with single accommodation in the Christian part of town.

Which university is this? Are you talking about UKH? - their teachers are housed outside of Ainkawa ("the Christian part of town") at Naz City which is in Erbil. Talk to a teacher on any given day and you'll hear about the continual flooding of flats and broken lift. And although they make good money & have good holiday benefits, one might argue that they earn every cent of it as their working conditions are less that stellar. You can check out the # of law suits against the university on the internet.

I don't know how recently you've been to Erbil, but housing has gotten quite expensive. I would also add that far more people speak English these days.

As for NGOs paying ESL instructors 3 times what BII pays, that's news to me.
While I was out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The British International Institute - www.bii-iraq.com Reply with quote

Middle East Beast wrote:
GOTL wrote:
Accommodation will be provided- 1 x 2 bedroom flat to share which comprises 1 lounge, 1 kitchen, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom.

Salary will be $2000 per month.

Two guys having to share not only the accommodation but one bathroom as well, and only 2 grand per month??? You_gotta_be_ralphin'_me_pops! Laughing

MEB Cool

Sharing the apartment and salary. One of those jobs for the old timers I occasionally meet that aren't teaching because they need money, they're teaching to keep themselves active. Rolling Eyes
eflnoil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and only 2 grand per month??? You_gotta_be_ralphin'_me_pops!

Compared to salaries in neighbouring countries such as Turkey and Lebanon can be far lower than this and n0-one there is complaining. Added to that, said countries are NOT cheap.

Anyway, future prospects look good in 'Kurdland' taking into consideration its massive oil and gas industry which will soon be begging for EL Training for workers. Could be as good- if not better - than SW Kazakhstan or North Africa in the not too distant future. Like a colleague of mine on leave there now says, "it's better to be on the ground so you're at the head of the queue for oil and gas co.contracts with high pay and rotational employment even if it might mean having to work for cowboys for 3 or 4 months". He has a point.

eflnoil

Last edited by eflnoil on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And compared to neighboring countries like KSA, Qatar, and UAE, that 2K salary stinks.

We're talking about working in IRAQ, where there was a bloodbath on Aug 15th.

There are truck drivers (don't get me wrong, that work's as respectable as any other) in IRAQ earning six figures. Advertising for 2K for TEFLers (AND the ridiculous living conditions) is just another statement reflecting the lack of respect for those of us in the TEFL vocation, who have advanced degrees and professional experience.

MEB Cool
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very "stiff-upper-lipish" kind of existence. Hip-Hip and all that rot!

It was silly then, and it's silly now!
eflnoil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in IRAQ, where there was a bloodbath on Aug 15th.

Thanks for responding to my post.

FYI, while obviously there are no guarantees that there will never be some sort of terror attack or kidnapping in the Kurdish region, it was the only one which did not see any violence on the 15th.

Statistically, there have been fewer terror attacks there than in Britain over the past 6 or so years

Take care

eflnoil
GOTL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: AND WHERE ARE THESE JOBS Reply with quote

So where are these jobs you speak of?
athenaboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ eflnoil

Hi, do you or your friend who is there know anything about British Educational Services in Irbil ? I was thinking of applying for a teaching job there but just wonder if it is a good place to work.

AB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: