Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete Beginner in Bogot�

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamf321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Complete Beginner in Bogot� Reply with quote

I just arrived in Bogot� yesterday and would like to stay a while. Therefore I need a job! Teaching English has been frequently mentioned by many people as a good option, and is something that appeals to me... it makes a welcome change from working in a bank in London Smile

I have no experience at teaching, nor do I have any qualifiaction. I do however have a university degree (II-i in Computer Science with Maths in case this is relevant). My Spanish is at an intermediate level. What teaching qualifications are recomended to get me started? And which schools will take on beginners once I have qualified?

My other concern is about my visa - currently I am here on a 60-day tourist visa (I hold a UK passport). If I get work as a teacher can I apply for a work or some other visa that will allow me stay for longer? Do I need a study visa to study a CELTA, TEFL or whichever course I decide?

Thanks!
windowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around the forum for debates on which qualifications are recommended for teachers in Colombia.

Any institute will hire you with a CELTA. Most will hire you without a CELTA. With a CELTA you may also qualify for high school or university teaching positions.

After landing a job, your employer can sponsor you for a work visa that will let you stay. Not all employers are willing to do this.

You do not need a student visa to do the CELTA course.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can easily get a job at a language institute in bogota.

getting a work visa is another story.....
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might also suggest you could get a decent paying job related to your degree, potentially even in a colegio or university. Have you looked into that? A native English speaker teaching math or computer science would be a bonus since there are many bilingual schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: