Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to England... aidez moi!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew.hodgson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Returning to England... aidez moi! Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on who to approach for work in London. I'd prefer to do private tuition for the flexibility but I would take anything to be honest. I have a BA/CELTA and 3 years experience. I am halfway through an MA which I deferred the second year of to go to Paris (where I currently teach), however they sent me an e-mail saying the MA price will be increased (a phenomenal amount) next year, and so I have to come back and finish now, or start paying American-style fees. Mental, right?

So, at last minute I am arranging my retreat back to the motherland - however every bugger I e-mail regarding work gives me the cold shoulder. Tefl.com/jobs.ac.uk - tout le monde!

Anyone aware of work about, or any advice, I would welcome wholeheartedly, as the panic set in about 3 days ago and it is very much a case of having no straws to clutch. Damn education reforms, I've been somewhat trapped in this situation y'see. Thanks!
steviok85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,
I am afraid the picture is less than bleak.
I have close to four years experience, CELTA, MA, plus experience at a top ten UK university, and am getting maybe one interview for every forty applications that I send (mainly in London). I am working with far more experienced people than myself with MAs, DELTAs, PGCEs. Nothing going for them either.
I made a mistake coming back here and, due to personal reasons, I can't really go back to where I was working abroad in the last academic year.
I am awaiting a few responses to interviews I have had recently.The prospect of being unemployed/not teaching is becoming more realistic.
All the best
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew.hodgson wrote:
I am halfway through an MA which I deferred the second year of to go to Paris (where I currently teach), however they sent me an e-mail saying the MA price will be increased (a phenomenal amount) next year, and so I have to come back and finish now, or start paying American-style fees. Mental, right?

Have you been paying for this MA paper by paper, as and when you enrol for a further paper? That's usually a more expensive way to study but useful when studying part-time. When you're full-time, you usually pay all the fees upfront (or so I thought). You obviously haven't done that so maybe you were studying part-time in London before you deferred for a year?

I'm just wondering if you can get around this by paying for the remainder of the MA now (if you can afford to or can borrow the money to), and continue part-time if you have the option of doing some online / long distance papers. I'd have thought when you enrol for a particular programme of study that it wouldn't be legal to up the fees half-way through the course. The trouble is, I guess this won't apply to students when they're enrolling and paying for individual papers semester by semester, but it's worth checking any possible options with the university.

This might include possible cross-crediting of the MA papers you've already done to an online (part-time) MA degree that you can pay the balance of now before the increase in fees. Check with your faculty/ department Head and/or course advisors, as well as Registry.

I hope it's not now too late to consider staying in Paris where do you have work.
andrew.hodgson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

As regards job stuff, that sounds absolutely grim. I've worked in three schools in London before... but I don't think they're in a position to take me on. Or for me to go back.

I've never heard of a pay per paper scheme... it is pay per month, and that was only at my asking. It is supposed to be pay totally up front. So, it is just nigh of �600 a month.. rather than the obscene amount it'd be as of next year.

I'm afraid notice was given, feelings were hurt and trains were booked. I am stuck, I will just have to find something, or die trying, and not even in the 50 cent style, literally, starve trying.

Thanks!
Insubordination

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty scary stuff. It might be a good idea to get another type of job for a while; even at minimum wage. Do you have any other skills? It's sad when you can't make a living in your country of origin. I'm realising that I might not be able to rely solely on teaching for the rest of my life. I've been in denial and need to make some plans and investments I think.
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this. It stinks that the only reason you're heading back now is to avoid an horrendous fee hike.

I guess the enrolment/ payment system for MA papers varies from country to country. I'm still puzzled as to how they can legally hit you with a change in fees half-way through a course you've already enrolled in, and have a monthly payment agreement with the uni for. Usually new fees hit new enrolments. Obviously they can - or they think they can, but if you had paid upfront they couldn't have done that ...

You've made your decision but if there's anyway to re-think it (and 'unhurt' those hurt feelings) I would take it. But perhaps it's too far gone now and you've given up your accom as well. In any case you don't know if there are other study options where you can avoid the hike. Good luck back in London.
andrew.hodgson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your communal shoulder to whinge on!

Yes, I used to be a staffer on a newspaper, however the arse has also fallen out of that, so I work freelance now, which is just as unreliable as teaching seems to have become. It was a "come back now, or you're getting Dave Cameron's new legislation" letter. This year is the last year that education will be affordable in England. I've also written a novel, however the agent has classified it as "experimental literary fiction" and therefore bodes well for my ego, bodes less well for my bank balance.

I've been offered new jobs here in Paris even, 50E an hour jobs at universities, but I have to be in London to finish all that crap. If anyone wants a job in Paris by the way I can forward you the emails. Preferably in swapsies for London work - anyone?!
GriffinParka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, you're on the road to nowhere here. I know, as I've been there myself.

My advice is to (a) complete the Masters with the Open University - you can get your prior course modules accepted, so you won't have to redo any learning, and the OU only costs about 1100 quid a year; and (b) go back and work abroad, as EFL in the UK is pure shite - it's the only way to guarantee yourself some income.

You know it makes sense!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: