Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karl was right!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Karl was right! Reply with quote

... even the Beeb says so now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14764357
eurobound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Karl was right! Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:

Oh yes, 'Marx was right,' you hear it muttered on every street corner nowadays.

I suppose garbage like this is what you get when you fill a supposedly unbiased organisation with secret Marxists.

Three cheers for the BBC.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Karl was right! Reply with quote

eurobound wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:

I suppose garbage like this is what you get when you fill a supposedly unbiased organisation with secret Marxists.

Is this meant to be ironic? Did you actually read the article?
eurobound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Karl was right! Reply with quote

dean_a_jones wrote:
eurobound wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:

Is this meant to be ironic? Did you actually read the article?

Yeah I read the article, it was garbage.
eurobound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most things the BBC trots out these days.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurobound wrote:
Like most things the BBC trots out these days.

Right, got it.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And I suppose garbage like this is what you get when you post a topic such as this one. But presumably Sasha just meant to be provocative, and did not seriously expect an intelligent, thoughtful discussion.

eurobound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Quote:

And I suppose garbage like this is what you get when you post a topic such as this one. But presumably Sasha just meant to be provocative, and did not seriously expect an intelligent, thoughtful discussion.

Every British household who owns a television is required to pay an exhorbitant fee each year to fund this organisation which, in return, is supposed to report the news in an unbiased, non-partisan fashion.

We uphold our part of the deal (bar the occasional license fee dodger) yet the BBC continously refuses to uphold theirs. If everyone, no matter what their political persusian, is required by law to fund these people, then they have an obligation to do as they promise. They haven't met that obligation for decades, concentrating instead on shifting the political compass of the country and excluding those who no longer, in their eyes, 'fit' - whilst all the time overlooking the fact that they are financed by huge swathes of the people they are attempting to marginalise.

Surely the article posted was an opinion piece, which is surely something that doesn't fit the modus operandi of the BBC. 'As a side-effect of the financial crisis, more and more people are starting to think Karl Marx was right...' is a feeble attempt to diguise the fact that this is an opinion piece and nothing more.

But quite clearly I'm not allowed to criticise the BBC for printing an article like this, which is something I imagine they'd be quite chuffed about.

I have no idea what the intentions of the original poster were; and did not speculate on what they were.

If you want an intelligent, thoughtful discussion, then feel free to join in. I'll allow you to have your opinion, though you quite clearly don't like others having thers.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurobound wrote:
Surely the article posted was an opinion piece, which is surely something that doesn't fit the modus operandi of the BBC. 'As a side-effect of the financial crisis, more and more people are starting to think Karl Marx was right...' is a feeble attempt to diguise the fact that this is an opinion piece and nothing more.

Given that the article was titled 'A Point of View' (as is the radio programme it is linked to), I am not really sure your point makes any sense whatsoever. Yes the BBC is meant to be 'fair and balanced' in its reporting, but not sure that means they cannot allow others to express their opinions via their services. Also worth noting that, as far as I know, John Gray is not a BBC staff member but rather is a political commentator and philosopher.

Quote:
But quite clearly I'm not allowed to criticise the BBC for printing an article like this, which is something I imagine they'd be quite chuffed about...If you want an intelligent, thoughtful discussion, then feel free to join in. I'll allow you to have your opinion, though you quite clearly don't like others having thers.

I think you might find that people were just curious as to why you felt the way you did about the article in question (or the BBC), not sure anyone really wants to stop you from having your own 'point of view'.

See what I did there.
eurobound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/jan/23/dailymail.bbc

This guy said it better than me, years ago as well.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurobound wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/jan/23/dailymail.bbc

This guy said it better than me, years ago as well.

Not sure I would give much credit to anyone who would (I assume) prefer the BBC to more closely resemble the Daily Mail.

Plus references to 'cultural Marxism', intellectual elites and juxtaposition of said elites and honest, 'ordinary people' smacks of the kind of crap you constantly hear from pundits, politicians and media groups of the Fox News variety (I noticed he also complains about the Times, the Guardian and the Independent, but not the Sun, the Daily Sport, the Metro or whatnot).

Unsurprisingly, media bias (and cultural bias) tends to exist whenever you have media and culture, and no charter is going to get rid of this. One of the nice things about the BBC is that it is not so much in the pockets of the advertising industry that holds so much power over most commercial news organisations (whatever they themselves say). It ain't perfect by any means, but it does a decent job.

I would suggest that people consider the source and potential bias of any news they digest, and try to get their information from a variety of sources, preferably ones that have different agendas.

I would also suggest that your own dismissing of the BBC no doubt comes from your own particular viewpoint (i.e. bias), especially as you have suggested that the output of a very large, very diverse media group is 'mostly garbage'. As does my dismissal of the Daily Mail and Fox News. I feel my bias is more defensible, no doubt you do yours.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" . . . more and more people are starting to think Karl Marx was right..."

Actually, I'd say he was left, very left. But such confusion is understandable.
The extremes at both ends of the political spectrum often seem to have more in common than otherwise.

Marx's problem is that he had a impossibly idealistic notion of human nature.
Capitalism will always trump communism since it appeals to our most potent drives: ambition, greed, fear, envy, insecurity, etc. (and the so-called "communist USSR" may well have been the best example of this.)

Regards,
John
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
" . . . more and more people are starting to think Karl Marx was right..."

Actually, I'd say he was left, very left. But such confusion is understandable.
The extremes at both ends of the political spectrum often seem to have more in common than otherwise.

Marx's problem is that he had a impossibly idealistic notion of human nature.
Capitalism will always trump communism since it appeals to our most potent drives: ambition, greed, fear, envy, insecurity, etc. (and the so-called "communist USSR" may well have been the best example of this.)

Regards,
John

State Capitilism was the term, comrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: