Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

job search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenabroad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: job search Reply with quote

Hi

Im a new inexperienced wanna be ESL instructor from canada in my mid 30's. I have some unrelated short term teaching experience in IT, and a general BA degree. I also have dabbled in a very tiny bit of ESL training, about a few hours but have no TEFL cert

Im considering Indonesia as a potential destination for my first gig since I like South East Asia. I was wondering if somebody could let me know what my chances are of lining up a job from overseas and if somebody could recommend some schools and websites that would be good to apply to besides eslcafe for a newbie like me. Unlike thailand,Laos,vietnam,cambodia where its best to pound the pavement once you arrive from what i undertstand it sounds like in indonesia its practical to apply overseas, am I wrong?

Thanks........Steven

PS-Is this the best(most active) forum for indonesia esl teachers ?
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: job search Reply with quote

stevenabroad wrote:
Im a new inexperienced wanna be ESL instructor from canada in my mid 30's. I have some unrelated short term teaching experience in IT, and a general BA degree. I also have dabbled in a very tiny bit of ESL training, about a few hours but have no TEFL cert

Indonesia is really hurting for native speakers, and you will be able to easily find work. I recommend you take a TEFL certificate course so that you're prepared for teaching English.

As far as I know there are no other Indonesia TEFL -specific forums - but perhaps I'm wrong...
inmexico

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other sites that have jobs posted for Indonesia:

www.linguistic-funland.com
www.eslemployment.com
www.eslteachersboard.com
Winmar

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lined my job up from overseas......knew the DOS already, which helped, but could have done it even if I hadn't met her before.
kevhar35

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Finding Indo work Reply with quote

You would really be better off getting a TEFL certificate before applying to Indonesia. Though EF, which is a big employer, state that they will take into consideration experience if you have taught English alot before, they are more likely to take people who have a certificate. The schools are stricter on this than places like Thailand as you are more than likely going to be working for a language school and not a mainstream school. I spent a year in Indonesia and didn't meet one teacher without a certificate. There are always postings for jobs on tefl.com. Indonesia and it's people are great. Do go if you can. But research the school/city before accepting. You could end up in a hole hours and hours from anywhere nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: