Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's Gonna Pay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Global-Hobo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Who's Gonna Pay? Reply with quote

Hi Colombia Board,

I have a question for you wise heads.

Is Bogota the only city where I can find a language institute to pay for my work visa? I would rather go somewhere within Colombia that is a bit warmer.

I have two degrees, one in English and Education and the other is a degree in English Language for Secondary Education, I also have an ICELT (In-Service CELTA with 120 hours teaching practice). I have a couple of years experience in Asia also, so I feel relatively confident I'll do well at interview stage but I've read that a lot of places are unwilling to pay the visa costs.

I'll be arriving in Colombia with only a little money and would have to find a place that's willing to at least pay the costs initially and then take it out of my wages.

Thanks,
GH
JacobTM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as language institutes, I believe so.

However, Universities and international schools however, can definitely get you a visa, and I know several people with CELTAs who are doing this right now, working at a bilingual school on their visa.

Unfortunately most schools hire well in advance, so you�d have to come down here in a couple months to find a school that would hire you for February. Every once in a while a vacancy lets someone jump in mid-term, but that�s just luck.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Gonna Pay? Reply with quote

Global-Hobo wrote:

I'll be arriving in Colombia with only a little money and would have to find a place that's willing to at least pay the costs initially and then take it out of my wages.

Good luck with that.
Global-Hobo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Gonna Pay? Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:
Good luck with that.

How do you feel my chances are, windowlicker?
windowlicker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself and Colombia a favor and have some savings before you come here. At least enough to get you through two months and pay for a flight home if things don't work out.

I have seen others receive pay advances, but these have been teachers that have been with the school for a little while, not people that just walked in off the street and wanted not only a job, but payment upfront.

In Colombia, we have a saying: "Don't give papaya." This means don't give people the opportunity to take advantage of you. Giving an advance to a teacher who hasn't even started working yet is definitely giving papaya.
Global-Hobo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. If I arrive on the ground with $2000, is that enough? Maybe I can pay for my own visa out of that. Flying 'home' is not something I ever do.
G22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global-Hobo wrote:
Fair enough. If I arrive on the ground with $2000, is that enough? Maybe I can pay for my own visa out of that. Flying 'home' is not something I ever do.

Probably for about a month to a month and half depending on where you stay and where you go to eat.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.... the first 3 weeks I was in town I went out almost every night.. and by out I mean to 'Zona Rosa' where, as the other folks on this board will tell you, stuff is no longer Colombian cheap. I did get over that very quickly and started working my tail off and barely going out. I'm just saying, if you're susceptible to making that mistake upon arrival, add another 500-1000 to your startup funds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: