Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Why do some Americanisms irritate people?'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steki47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I've witnessed newbie American teachers in Europe correcting British speakers regarding the preposition that correctly goes with 'weekend.' Shocked

At my first job in Japan, I had a few British teachers tell me I was saying things "the wrong way". I had just explained in a workshop that the kids curriculum was based on American English. "Color", soccer and so on.

Some Brits got upset with that. I gave them the number to head office and continued with my workshop.

Funny thing, I have started to pick some non-American speech habits. Holiday, CV, etc.
artemisia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes highlight different words (holiday/ vacation) or the spelling of words (labour/ labor). I certainly don't 'correct' students for correct usage of BE or AE. I once corrected an indignant student who informed me he'd spelt colour/color the American way and there was nothing wrong with that. I agreed with him and showed him the two ways of spelling it. (He'd spelt it "coulor").

I've never heard of "knock me up" being used in a context other than salacious. That's a new one for me!
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A famous American golfer (Johnny Miller) was commentating on a tournament and said that ��If I�d done that my old man would have kicked my fanny�� Very confusing for British golfers, both male and female.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
A famous American golfer (Johnny Miller) was commentating on a tournament and said that ��If I�d done that my old man would have kicked my fanny�� Very confusing for British golfers, both male and female.

Definitely should have used arse.
posh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an American back in early 1990s Czechoslovakia who would get seriously angry about British spelling, eg. theatre, colour, etc. "It is NOT correct!" he would shout at anybody prepared to listen. Then he'd get back to his favourite subject of "WE won the cold war!" He didn't have any friends.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that the author of the article uses most of the space railing on the shortcomings of American English and then, in the conclusion, writes: Britain is a very distinct country from the US. Not better, not worse, different. And long live that difference.
Wouldn't that same idea hold for American and British English? If a person is understood, what's the difference?

P.S. I don't know whether using "epic" as an adjective for everything under the sun is an Americanism or not; if it is then as a Yank I'm truly sorry. Embarassed
joesfiddle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I like American and British but I'm Irish myself! Wink
artemisia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Make no mistake". I don't know if that counts as an 'Americanism' but I loathe it mainly because I associate it with George W. Bush who used it constantly, and because it's a heavy handed warning.
artemisia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this thread's gone quiet, I might as well throw in one I like: shoot the breeze. I like the expression and the (non) activity. (Originally heard as "shoot the $hit").
helmsman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a lot of non-Americans African-American slang is irresistible: This thread is da bomb. She's bootylicious. But one that makes no sense is fly, as in, He's pretty fly for a white guy. Some personally annoying ones are 'sup?, wassup? and what up? These should be left in the ghetto. In British English, Cockey slang is, like totally awesome: When I post this I'll get back to the trouble and strife and my dustbin lid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: