Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kanda Gaigo Daigaku (KUIS) Experiences?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagakuri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Kanda Gaigo Daigaku (KUIS) Experiences? Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with working at Kanda University of International Studies - KUIS, or has heard anything? Job conditions, employee relations...etc?

I know most of the general stuff because they are only a stones throw away from me... but anything deeper would be appreciated.

Also, any insight on landing a lecturship with them?
PAULH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its unlikely you will get a lectureship (if you are talking about Tenure that is) as all foreign teachers are given a maximum three year teaching contract

see the link on http://www.debito.org/blacklist.html

NAME OF UNIVERSITY: Kanda University of International Studies (Gaigo Daigaku) (Private)
EMPLOYMENT ABUSE: "Foreigners (with few or no exceptions) are given non-renewable three-year contracts."
SOURCE OF INFORMATION: CM deWolf, longtime resident and commentator on Japan
hagakuri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes I saw them listed on the Blacklist for sometime. But the majority of the schools listed there are there for a single reason: they dont grant tenure or renew their contracts.

A 3 year contract to me is not that bad of a deal. Another 3 years here, and I will more than likely want to move on anyways.

They call their teachers Lecturers (a lectureship would just mean a teaching spot)... sorry for the confusion.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has heard either good or bad about teaching there.

Smile
Sherri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have met a couple of people (while interviewing potential teachers) who used to work for Kanda. They left during in the middle of a very nasty union dispute with the management there. I don't know what the atmosphere is like there now but at the time--maybe 2 or 3 years ago, it was very ugly. There were different factions of people depending on their point of view, whether they were union members or not, support of management--I think you can imagine. During the bubble the teachers there had an excellent deal and all of that was eroded.

I have also been in their buildings while conducting Eiken interviews. The classrooms are large and it looks like the teachers are doing a lot of project work because the walls were covered with posters made by the students. I heard from some of the teachers while there that the students were pretty typical, low English level and varying degrees of motivation from apathetic to very keen.

Sorry it is not very much and all second hand, but I hope it helps.
ultraman111

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone actually work at Kanda now...? I have an interview with them for 2012 year.
mooseontheloose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently work for KUIS, but not in Chiba. Contract situation now is 2 years + one renewal (4 years total) with a possibility of extending that to their one of their "consulting" projects (which is where I'm working now).

Do you have any specific questions? Not sure what you want to know.
ultraman111

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks a lot for that.

What is the housing situation like for all the teahers? Which area would be good if you are left to find it yourself? Nothing has been mentioned as yet just the salary which is 5 mill including 2 bonuses. Is there any other compensation like health insurance..? How are the general teaching conditions/reality? Holidays..?

thanks in advance.
mooseontheloose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already interviewed with them? Until you get a job offer you won't know which university you'll be working at, so that will determine your housing. You'll have to find it yourself -- with help of course -- but it depends on what you want. Some people prefer to live near the university and not commute, others don't mind spending an hour on the train every day to live in a better/cheaper/more exciting area. You have to pay into the health insurance system, no exceptions.

As for teaching conditions, you teach 4 courses x2 (8 classes a week) plus two conversation lounge (or equivalent) duties a week. You are expected to hold regular 9-5 hours (or equivalent) Monday to Friday. On occasion, be expected to participate in university events (usually paid). Teachers are also expected to work on a committee (curriculum, assessment, etc) throughout the year. Teachers get a decent research budget and conference funding as well. Holidays work out to 4.5-5 months a year. Unlike most universities in Japan (that offer full-time contracts), you are not required to be at the university during holiday periods.

If you can find something better than that in Japan right now, let me know. Unless you have a PhD, speak fluent Japanese, and have a long list of publications, it is difficult to find any other places offering similar conditions.
ultraman111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Thanks again......Thats excellent information. I have an interview late next month in Australia for what I assume is a lecturer position at KUIS Chiba, with a Mr Torpey. 4.5 months holidays wow..... Rolling Eyes

At the moment I am 50/50 in wanting to return to Japan. Only with a position like at Kanda would I contemplate it as it is a continuation of my career, which hopefully would lead me some place else eventually.

Now in Australia its hard to secure full time work for ESL Professionals. The whole industry has downsized by almost half from what it was a couple years back. Trying to change careers into a different field is almost a nightmare. Stay here and get a lowly paid menial full time job for 40k a year....or back to Japan for a teaching job and 60k a year....In another 5 years or so even the menial job will be hard to come by imo...so its a tough dilema for me atm. early 40s atm.
mooseontheloose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, I also interviewed for Chiba and ended up somewhere else.

The work situation is fine, but you have to counter it with all the other crap that is happening in Japan right now. I am far from Fukushima (and Chiba! - which has its own problems) yet many people are thinking of leaving because the government plans to ship and burn radioactive waste all across the country (we all need to share in the pain apparently). Just remember to consider that -- news about Japan may have disappeared from the international collectiveness, but that doesn't mean they still aren't doing incredibly stupid things here (and getting away with it!). I don't want to keep you from considering the job (I'll probably sign for another contract), but you should keep tabs on local Japanese news if you are serious about coming back here.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone on this thread know how many civilians died as a direct result from the Chernobyl disaster?

Answer: 5

(source)
seklarwia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:
Does anyone on this thread know how many civilians died as a direct result from the Chernobyl disaster?

(source)

I saw this doc a few weeks back... didn't the same program include an interview with a woman who now has a series of health complaints that she believes are as a direct result of the witnessing the disaster first hand?

I had not been all that worried about Fukushima. Always figured that I was far enough away that I shouldn't be too badly affected and even should the situation deteriorate up there, I have the funds to buy a same day flight out of here (even if that means flying first class).
Some of my teachers seem to think that my nonchalant attitude was due to being brave... I like to think it has little to do with bravery and more to do with looking at the situation rationally.
But even I'm not sure I like the idea of 'spreading the hurt'. I'm not going to up and flee, only because I figure that should everything continue according to plans, I'll be moving to HK in the spring and will only be in Japan for a few days per month after that.

For anyone who wants to see it, a couple of torrents can be found for it on the MV documentaries list of EZTV (http://eztv.it/shows/187/mv-group-documentaries/). Just type 'Is Nuclear Power Safe' into your browser's find function box whilst on the page.
mooseontheloose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:

(source)

And what about cancer and cataract rates in the years following the disaster? There are some legit reports out there about it (WHO), I just can't figure out how to link them in this post.

This isn't a big worry for me. But for a lot of people I know (especially those with young children), it is. And the Japanese government certainly does not have a good track record in being open, honest, and informative.

All I'm saying is people need to be informed to make the best decisions for themselves.
curiousbonnie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Is this still correct? Reply with quote

mooseontheloose wrote:
Have you already interviewed with them? Until you get a job offer you won't know which university you'll be working at, so that will determine your housing. You'll have to find it yourself -- with help of course -- but it depends on what you want. Some people prefer to live near the university and not commute, others don't mind spending an hour on the train every day to live in a better/cheaper/more exciting area. You have to pay into the health insurance system, no exceptions.

As for teaching conditions, you teach 4 courses x2 (8 classes a week) plus two conversation lounge (or equivalent) duties a week. You are expected to hold regular 9-5 hours (or equivalent) Monday to Friday. On occasion, be expected to participate in university events (usually paid). Teachers are also expected to work on a committee (curriculum, assessment, etc) throughout the year. Teachers get a decent research budget and conference funding as well. Holidays work out to 4.5-5 months a year. Unlike most universities in Japan (that offer full-time contracts), you are not required to be at the university during holiday periods.

If you can find something better than that in Japan right now, let me know. Unless you have a PhD, speak fluent Japanese, and have a long list of publications, it is difficult to find any other places offering similar conditions.

Hello,

I know this post is several years old...I'm wondering if these conditions are still the same, in particular the 4.5-5 months of holiday? And how much is the health insurance contribution?

Thanks!
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any up to date info or experiences?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: