Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certified in professional development
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volgaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do an intensive DELTA over the summer. Try celt.gr as an example. Then copy the trainers' style of delivery. Smile

What are your teachers like? Are they even qualified to CELTA level? The TKT course is gaining popularity on the region, so getting hold of a copy of the trainer's manual would be a start.

Also Challenges Middle East Total Teachers Pack would give you a flavour for the types of PD sessions that you could deliver. Although it's a secondary school course, many of the topics are relevant for KSA, especially PYP programmes.

Above all though, your training must be relevant to the IMMEDIATE needs of the teachers. 'Effective lesson planning' is a good one, with a focus on the course that's being delivered.

Above all though, know your audience, and remember teachers only like PD if they are seen to being listened to. If you're 50% Dr Phil and 50% Gordon Ramsay in your style, then you'll do fine Smile PD needs to have a feel-good/tough love balance Smile
tefllifer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of place has appointed someone who is clearly well-intentioned and willing yet inexperienced in PD, Teacher Training, mentoring, management, etc. to launch a PD unit - with the power to dictate the PD 'needs' of teachers who may well be more experienced than this new PD leader and even better qualified than him to fulfil such a role? And, given him A YEAR in which to do it - with the bonus of the company paying for him to get whatever qualifications he feels he needs to do the job. With all due respect to everyone, this forum is not really the right place to be seeking information of this type and further indicates the inexperience of that poster and suggests a misjudgment on the part of management in assigning him to the role in the first place. Sorry, this seems ludicrous. It is an insult to experienced teachers. I'd be interesting in knowing how teachers at this place are reacting to this. I feel both outraged and enraged. Sorry.
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tefllifer wrote:
Sorry.

No reason to be.

MEB Cool
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire bad!

Last edited by lcanupp1964 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcanupp1964 wrote:
Don�t you think the university reviewed my CV? Don�t you think the dean and the vice dean in charge of development thought carefully about who should run the PD program that has over 4,000 new students every fall and that is staffed with over 230 teachers? Don�t you think they would select a teacher that is well-liked by his peers?

Based on my experience with Gulf management and hiring, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your experience related to PD was that you went to a conference once. Laughing Gulf managements are not known for their ability to choose the right people or vetting ability. And this is not pointing fingers at any particular nationality of said managers.

You could search all day through the universities of the Gulf before you find a manager that has any kind of education related to educational management or any other kind of management. They are mainly "teachers" who hated teaching or weren't good at it or were bored and wanted to try cat herding.

Why would we expect them to be any better at choosing someone to create a PD department? Laughing

VS
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers good. Managers at all schools bad. Teacher fear manager. Manager out to hurt teacher. Teacher want be left alone.

It's funnier if you read the above sentences like the Frankenstein Monster.

"Fire bad"!

Last edited by lcanupp1964 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...what an ego.

Those poor teachers are in for a hellish experience.

I could say "I told you so," but I don't do that.

[This message is for the thread; I'm not attempting to communicate directly with the OP.]

MEB Cool
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear icanupp1964,

Well, the dress rehearsal didn't go too well, but in theater lore, that's supposed to mean a good opening night.

So, break a leg Very Happy

Seriously, all the best with your project - but as you may have noticed, it's a mighty tough audience.

And, with tough audiences, a little humor can go a long way:

"Another step toward the end of the educational Life Cycle is the PDP - "Professional Development Plan". In theory, this is a multi-step process through which teachers outline their personal goals early in the year, and administrators meet with teachers late in the year to assess how well a teacher did in meeting those goals.

Like communism and "clean coal", the theory isn't quite matched by the practice. What the PDP really is, at least in my 15 years of experience, is:
A creative writing opportunity for me in early September to write a pithy little paragraph on some vague "goals" I have in a given school year;
Another creative writing opportunity for me around the end of April to write another pithy little paragraph in which I try not to brag too much, but just enough about how the year went;
A brief chance to get to know my administrators better, via a "PDP meeting" in which the administrator takes about 20 seconds to glance at my two creative writing exercises while I glance at a pithy little vague paragraph s/he wrote about me;
After 20 seconds of admiring each other's ability to spend 150 words writing absolutely nothing of substance, we sign a bunch of forms in a bunch of places while making small talk about "What are you doing for the Summer?" and "I plan on being back here next year, I think.";
Total "PDP Meeting" time: 1 minute, 45 seconds;
If it wasn't' for all the signatures we could certainly get these things down to under a minute.
Yes it's a waste of time, but at least it's only about 105 seconds of time, and it also marks another important organ failure on the road to the death of a school year. I'm not complaining, not even about the simple truth that my administrators have never really known much about what I do in my classroom. In fact, I like it better that way.

Still, whenever I hear talk of "Merit Pay" for teachers, I consider the joke that is the Albuquerque Public Schools PDP. The current PDP process is about as far away from a "Merit Pay" system of accountability as could be possible. Even farther.

Creating the many checks & balances necessary to institute a valid "Merit Pay" system in our public schools would involve a complete revolution in our bureaucratic practices. A revolution that in addition to significant expense, would require a paradigmatic change I don't see happening in my professional lifetime, or the next.

So I expect my remaining 10 years of APS service will be spent writing little pithy paragraphs o' nothing, and taking a couple of minutes each year to ask how my boss is doing while signing a bunch of meaningless stuff. It's a joke, but it's another joke that leads, inexorably, to the death of another school year, and I'll sign here, here, and here over and over and over again to hasten that expiration.

10 days left folks. 9 if you don't count the "Cliff's Day". Etc. etc.

P.S.: Can any teachers beat my current PDP record of 105 seconds? I'm sure there's somebody out there who's discovered a way to shave a few seconds off my personal best. And I envy them."

Let a smile be your umbrella when they rain on your parade.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regards,
John
volgaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcanupp1964 wrote:
You guys win. I quit. You have (once again) shut a person down who wanted to ask one simple question.

I answered your question. But you ignored me and instead chomped at others cynicism of PD. You should really take note of why folk are so cynical of PD and make your training plans with that in mind.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear OP,
Professional Developement is a tough row to hoe.
Perhaps use this forum to practice developing a thicker skin. You can see what an uphill battle it will be just based on the responses you have recieved. When you get lemons, make lemonade Laughing Try not to take it so personal, after all at the end of the day....(finish the saying that is appropriate for you). Enjoy the lemonade!
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcanupp1964 wrote:
You guys win. I quit. You have (once again) shut a person down who wanted to ask one simple question. In fact VS, I love teaching and I'm darn good at it. I have had a rating of a "five out of five" - a rating that is in the top 5% of all the teachers at the university for three straight years. Give me your email address before I delete my account on this sour-puss of a �teachers� site and I will send all my evaluations to you. I can back up my claims. But� I bet you would comment on how Gulf management does not know how to correctly evaluate teachers, so my efforts aren't worth anything. Or maybe you will write that yearly performaces reviews that includes three classroom vists from three different peers is just another way that "The Man" is trying to keep the teachers down. It must be very nice to be able to be a snob from behind your monitor and judge people you never met. It does sound petty and a little sad.

Tell me oh great OZ, who would be the best person to run a PD unit? If there is no real training (the question I first asked on this thread), then what other traits/education/experience would cause you and super rat to put down your big stick and say something positive? Or are you both so tried, burnt out and bitter to even try? In a way (a very small way) I feel bad for you. You must have had such a bad experience with PD that you might be having PTSD.

This site is like high school and I'm not sitting at the "cool" table at lunch.

Ok, now I got it: Teachers good. Managers at all schools bad. Teacher fear manager. Manager out to hurt teacher. Teacher want be left alone.

It's funnier if you read the above sentences like the Frankenstein Monster.

"Fire bad"!

Who should run such a department? Well, in my eyes, someone who ...

1) .. is a qualified teacher who holds a teaching licence, a DELTA, and an MA TESOL.

2) .. is a qualified teacher trainer.

3) .. can accept criticism.

4) .. doesn't resort to ridiculous put downs like "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" .. because they actually want to encourage feedback - both negative and positive.

5) .. doesn't believe that PD is voluntary if it forms part of the teacher evaluation system.

7) .. doesn't believe that a department which invests heavily in PD will look equally upon those who take part in the devised program and those who chose instead to pursue their own private PD.

Viii) .. doesn't come to the table with the belief that teachers in the Middle East are lazy and do nothing but pop into class for a couple of hours a day.

9) .. doesn't believe they are a great teacher, but instead aspires to constantly improve themselves.

10) .. doesn't worry about their popularity, but is more concerned about earning the trust and respect of the teachers they will be training.

11) And someone who certainly doesn't believe to be Neanderthal anyone who questions the value of what they are doing - especially when the crticism comes from people who are more qualified.

Last edited by PC Parrot on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guess what? Fire is bad.

Maybe my catch-phrase will catch on like that person that ends all his postings with...

It's Scary!!

Oh, BTW, I'm being tonuge-in check with this whole experience. It's very funny to me that all you "serious" people think I'm freaking out about a bunch of people I don't know. Talk about an ego.

Yea, I'm sooooooo mad. Please. Mad Shocked Wink

Special shout out to "good o' John" He's a good guy that gets it. And thanks to the few people that tried to help me and asnwer my question.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcanupp1964 wrote:
Hey, guess what? Fire is bad.

Maybe my catch-phrase will catch on like that person that ends all his postings with...

It's Scary!!

Oh, BTW, I'm being tonuge-in check with this whole experience. It's very funny to me that all you "serious" people think I'm freaking out about a bunch of people I don't know. Talk about an ego.

Yea, I'm sooooooo mad. Please. Mad Shocked Wink

Special shout out to "good o' John" He's a good guy that gets it. And thanks to the few people that tried to help me and asnwer my question.

More like saving face... Rolling Eyes since you did delete/edit the post which you had written some fairly negative comments towards VS for her non support of PD. So which is it? Are you serious about what you propose regarding PD or is it all just p** in the wind? Razz Your words are all we have to go by, so when you misuse/ abuse your words, not always will people interpret them correctly...we can not see your facial expressions...that is what the smilies are for...may help in assessing your level of seriousness regarding what you write...a little bit more than if you hadn't used them at all? Shocked Very Happy
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's Scary!!

Hey! Don't drag me into this mess! I had enough of warrant-less PD at HCT! PD for PD's sake has no place in a professional's life. Along with being punished by requiring someone to endure PD, there should be a requirement that someone be given time to practice that PD rather than just puttting it on their pissy little PEP. That's ALWAYS what I hated about HCT and it's window-dressing "professional development"!

I'm surprised this thread wasn't locked long ago!

It's none of my doing!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the lack of a lock is because it is certainly a topic that all ME teachers will have an opinion on, usually a strong opinion... and while there has been a lot of disagreement, it has not really been taken to a nasty or personal level. Most of the criticism has been of the system, as it should be and toes have been only lightly stomped on. Cool

I wish Mr lcanupp the best of luck with his endeavor and hopefully our little give and take has demonstrated how the majority of his teachers will likely feel about the PD system although they will not be able to communicate openly as they can here anonymously.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: