Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysia - UCSI - Salary Ok?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chasteaches

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Malaysia - UCSI - Salary Ok? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

(My first post on dave's ESL...woohoo!)

A month ago on vacation I visitied Kuala Lumpur and decided to try my luck dropping off my resume at UCSI in person. I got an on the spot interview and they said they would be in touch. We've been corresponding over email here and there. Then this morning I got an offer.

The terms:
3,500 RM Salary
1,000 RM Housing

18 days vacation...Sad

What do you think?

My credentials:
BS -Business Admin
2 years in SK
CELTA qualified
American

I appreciate your input in advance. Very Happy Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Razz
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Malaysia - UCSI - Salary Ok? Reply with quote

chasteaches wrote:
Hey Guys,

(My first post on dave's ESL...woohoo!)

A month ago on vacation I visitied Kuala Lumpur and decided to try my luck dropping off my resume at UCSI in person. I got an on the spot interview and they said they would be in touch. We've been corresponding over email here and there. Then this morning I got an offer.

The terms:
3,500 RM Salary
1,000 RM Housing

18 days vacation...Sad

What do you think?

My credentials:
BS -Business Admin
2 years in SK
CELTA qualified
American

I appreciate your input in advance. Very Happy Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Razz

Sounds like a 30% cut in pay (and net savings) for no good reason other than warmer winters.

The salary is nothing special (unless you plan to actually live like a local) and the vacation is crap. Unless your class load is like 12 classes per week (or less) or you have a G/F or other unmentioned reason to move there... I personally would give it a pass.

KayuJati

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, tttompatz, how can it be a cut in pay if he isn't working there already? You cannot compare South Korea and Malaysia since Malaysia has a lower cost of living and much much much nicer weather (and food). The Koreans that I know here (many), get depressed when they think about having to move back to Korea.

Welcome to Realityville. Thank you for posting the details of your job offer. This shows what I had suspected all along since I have been living outside KL the past 11 years. Bachelor degree holders used to start at low RM2k's, now it is up to mid-RM3k's. Not surprised.

Since you only have a bachelors degree and limited experience, I would say that you received a decent offer. UCSI is one of the better-run schools in the entire country and it would be an excellent place to start a career in Malaysia. Your salary will go up and schools tend to pay 1-3 months bonus each year.

That RM1,000 housing allowance will go a long way towards renting an apartment or house, which can run from as low as RM800 per month to RM20,000 depending upon where and how extragavent you want to live.

There are locals and foreigners who would jump at an offer like this. Do not be dissuaded by those with more education and experience (like myself and tttompatz) who have higher salaries and better conditions. My salary has risen by ~5% each year at both schools where I have taught.

Actually, 18 days of vacation is quite decent considering you will also receive the 14+ days of national holiday, such as Chinese New Year (1 week for sure at UCSI), Hari Raya (at least 2 days, maybe 3-5), Diwali (1-2 days), Malaysia Day, Malaysian Independence Day, Christmas, the King's Birthday, the Sultan of Selangor's birthday, etc.

Malaysia is a great place to live. UCSI also has a medical campus in the beautiful east coast state of Terengganu, and while working at UCSI-KL you could probably wait for an opening there if you want the east coast, beach lifestyle.

Take it!!

Laughing

Bluetortilla!!! If he passes on this offer, you should JUMP on a plane and fly down here and interview at UCSI for this opening.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I would defer to those on the ground with current information but as a small point (and the point of my post) ...

Moving from a job with perks like:
airfare,
contract completion bonus (equal to 1 month's salary for each year of employment),
medical and pension benefits (if the employer is on the up-and-up),
2-6 weeks of paid annual vacation (language academy or public school),
and reasonable expected savings on the order of US$12,000-$15,000 per year

to a position with:
potential savings of only about US$5000-7000 per year (assuming 800 MYR per month for rent and typical expat costs for daily living)
and no other benefits

doesn't make sense unless the class loads are significantly lower or there are some other benefits that aren't apparent from the OP.

Yes, I understand the "want" for some under qualified EFL/ESL teachers to move into a university lecturer position but... taking the hit just for the "prestige" or the good weather is questionable.

KayuJati

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Usually I would defer to those on the ground with current information but as a small point (and the point of my post) ...

Moving from a job with perks like:
airfare,
contract completion bonus (equal to 1 month's salary for each year of employment),
medical and pension benefits (if the employer is on the up-and-up),
2-6 weeks of paid annual vacation (language academy or public school),
and reasonable expected savings on the order of US$12,000-$15,000 per year

to a position with:
potential savings of only about US$5000-7000 per year (assuming 800 MYR per month for rent and typical expat costs for daily living)
and no other benefits

doesn't make sense unless the class loads are significantly lower or there are some other benefits that aren't apparent from the OP.

Yes, I understand the "want" for some under qualified EFL/ESL teachers to move into a university lecturer position but... taking the hit just for the "prestige" or the good weather is questionable.

Points well taken, so:

-if the OP wants to make a lot money, he should look elsewhere (like working as a roustabout on a oil rig in the Bakkan Shale country), or
-if the OP wants to get into a nice country with growth potential, then he should take the job.

If he wanted to stay in SK, he probably wouldn't be asking about UCSI. But, we can't discuss SK here.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like a 30% cut in pay (and net savings

its worse than that. 3500= $1114 US which is a 50% cut from the 2.2million won he's getting in SK which is about $2,000 USS.

But Im havng a phone interview with UCSI soon and now I know the deal. In general it aint bad as Kayu says, esp. considering we wont have to smell that KKKKKKKKKKK..................CHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! anymore around every corner. pheeeeEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!
KayuJati

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
Quote:

its worse than that. 3500= $1114 US which is a 50% cut from the 2.2million won he's getting in SK which is about $2,000 USS.

But Im havng a phone interview with UCSI soon and now I know the deal. In general it aint bad as Kayu says, esp. considering we wont have to smell that KKKKKKKKKKK..................CHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! anymore around every corner. pheeeeEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Hahahaha...too funny gloomyGumi! Laughing Laughing Laughing

You couldn't pay me enough to smell that cr@p all day long. Life is just too short to spend it with plugs in my nose.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
gloomyGumi wrote:
Quote:

Hahahaha...too funny gloomyGumi! Laughing Laughing Laughing

You couldn't pay me enough to smell that cr@p all day long. Life is just too short to spend it with plugs in my nose.

altho i enjoy eating it occasionally..... the utter lack of diversity in food here is INNNNNNNNNSAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!! Twisted Evil

Anyway, the guy emailed me asking for a good time to call me, but hasnt called yet. He knows I have no CELTA or ANY kind of certification, but I DO have a BA in English and an unrelated Masters plus 3.5 yrs teaching English in Korea.

In a previous thread I was disheartened by several experienced posters who said its very very tought to save any money at all in KL. Now I have a wife and 11 year old daughter, so it will be even tougher that that. Im really really undecided between Turkey and malaysia. Who do you think in general?
milkweedma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that Public Schools in Malaysia pay RM7000+ for the mentor programmes, RM3500 sounds deplorable.
Nemodot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi don't take it as less than 5,000 rm means no work permit so illegal. Also not enough to live off in KL really
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemodot wrote:
Hi don't take it as less than 5,000 rm means no work permit so illegal. Also not enough to live off in KL really

Go ahead and link us with the government website where it states no one gets a work permit if the salary is less than RM5,000. Please.

Rolling Eyes
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
Nemodot wrote:

Go ahead and link us with the government website where it states no one gets a work permit if the salary is less than RM5,000. Please.

Rolling Eyes

KAYU STICKS HIS CHIN OUT THERE.........LOVE IT! Wink
KayuJati

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
KayuJati wrote:
Nemodot wrote:

Rolling Eyes

KAYU STICKS HIS CHIN OUT THERE.........LOVE IT! Wink

Well you see, it's like this. My salary has been under RM5k in the past, and yet my passport holds valid work permits for those years. So, how is it ILLEGAL?

No information is better than dis-information.

Laughing
SepangMan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Go ahead and link us with the government website where it states no one gets a work permit if the salary is less than RM5,000. Please."

Re: KayuJati

You've been in Malaysia for a while, and so have I. However, on Jan 1, 2009 a new law was passed; Since then, in order to obtain an employment pass employers have been required to pay its workers a minimum of RM5K/mo.

Here's the link:

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=118&lang=en

"Employment Pass
With effect from 1st January 2009, approval is given for a period of at least two years for a post involving a salary of RM5,000 and above."

On the other hand, being Malaysia, this requirement is often 'overlooked'. UCSI and International House are two notable examples of schools that cheat its teachers. UCSI pays 3500 + 1000, and the last I knew, IH paid 4150 + 450 for accommodation after 3 months. I once saw that the salary at IH was negotiable Up to 5k. I also know for a fact that teachers at both of these schools earning this lower wage do get their employment passes.

Many (most?) other employers such as ELS pay 5k or more a month, so my advice for the OP is bring this up with your contact at USCI, but be prepared to look elsewhere if they refuse to pay more. Remember, they are not the only language center in KL.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SepangMan wrote:
"Go ahead and link us with the government website where it states no one gets a work permit if the salary is less than RM5,000. Please."

Re: KayuJati

You've been in Malaysia for a while, and so have I. However, on Jan 1, 2009 a new law was passed; Since then, in order to obtain an employment pass employers have been required to pay its workers a minimum of RM5K/mo.

Here's the link:

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=118&lang=en

"Employment Pass
With effect from 1st January 2009, approval is given for a period of at least two years for a post involving a salary of RM5,000 and above."

Thanks for the link.

You will note, however, that it doesn't say that a minimum salary is required. Let's change the clauses around to state: "For a post involving a salary of RM5k and above, approval [can be obtained] for a minimum period of two years." In other words, if a school wants to pay less than RM5k they can, but will not get two-year work permits.

In other words, the wording leaves room for posts involving salaries under RM5k.

Let's do a little survey here, ask gloomyGumi and chasteaches if their offers are for positions with two-year contracts, or one-year contracts with possible renewal.

At my school I was switched from 2-year work permits to 1-year permits several years ago (around 2006), but well before this became law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: