Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valid ID at Mexican roadblocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiddenninja

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Valid ID at Mexican roadblocks Reply with quote

Aside from a passport, is there any other valid ID for a foreigner at Mexican roadblocks?
I'm taking a bus....
hiddenninja

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about my CURP (Clave �nica de Registro de Poblaci�n) would that be ok?
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CURP is not a photo id so no, I've never ever seen anywhere that will take that as an ID.

Why not just use your passport? You are supposed to have it on you at all times (in theory). You should have your passport and proof of your legal status in Mexico on you at all time--Mexican law in this case is just as strict as the Arizona law they kicked up such a stink about...
hiddenninja

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have to come clean like this - its actually a theoretical question for a novel i'm writing..... I used to live in Mexico but now I cant remember...what happens at Mexican roadblocks dealing with coaches?....do they typically ask everyone on the bus to produce ID or do they just board the vehicle and scan it for suspicious looking people and ask them. I remember once having to leave the vehicle, produce my id and show them through my bag but this didn't happen everytime

Anyway, thanks for the reply
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used my passport since I tend not to carry it around with me, either in town or on the road within Mexico. My Canadian driver's license was ID enough at a Oaxaca roadblock I went through earlier this year by car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the valid ID would be a credencial migratoria. If the story is set in the present, it�s a card. Up to 2010, it was a visa booklet, a documento migratorio. Aren�t we supposed to carry it with us all the time?

You shouldn't be sorry to come clean�the answers you get will be more relevant with the additional context being provided.
hiddenninja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But on a coach - do you think a soldier / police officer would literally ask everyone to produce id or only certain individuals? I cant remember if this happened when I was there.

Thanks very much for the replies
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I went through a checkpoint on a bus was in 2001, again in Oaxaca. I wasn't asked for any ID at all. That was 10 years ago however.

I took a bus from DF to Taxco a few weeks ago and while there are no checkpoints on that route, the bus line had a sign up at the ticket counter saying one needed valid ID to board. Still, they never asked me to produce ID, neither at the ticket counter nor when boarding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiddenninja wrote:
But on a coach - do you think a soldier / police officer would literally ask everyone to produce id or only certain individuals? I cant remember if this happened when I was there.

Thanks very much for the replies

It varies.

If you are on the road from Chiapas through Oaxaca heading north there are multiple stops and sometimes they just board and shine the flashlight around. Sometimes they ask a few people to show ID. Sometimes they ask everyone to get their ID out. Sometimes they have a video camera and point it in the faces of eveyone on the bus. Sometimes they ask some people to show them the contents of a bag in the overhead bin. Sometimes they take some people off the bus. Sometimes they take everybody off the bus. They may or may not check bags from the under the bus compartment. A second class bus could be stopped every hour or so heading north. A first class bus may or may not be stopped one or multiple times. I have no idea what it depends on, I suspect the mood of the people working the check point, how far into their shift they are and the proximity of their supervisors.

Buses heading south rarely get stopped.
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that might factor into your story is that in some regions you may not necessarily know who is running the checkpoint; i.e. knowing whether it�s �official� or not�even if the personnel are wearing official-looking uniforms.
hiddenninja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone - excellent replies
tjteachin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was only one stop when I went south to check baggage. A bunch of stops going north to Tijuana, esp. through Sinaloa and Sonora. Everyone gets off the bus. I show my credencial para votar (it's good to have dual nationality!)
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never carry my passport or FM3 with me in the city and only sometimes when I travel within Mexico. Since I am officially a senior citizen here, I have an special photo ID called an INAPAM card that I usually use for ID.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: