Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Columbia Outlook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Columbia Outlook Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I'm just finishing up my year's contract in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Which by the way I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend as a teaching destination, despite the negativity flying around on the forums over here!) and I'm considering a move out to Columbia next year, probably beginning in January. I have a celta and 2 years of on the job experience (1 year in Spain and 1 in Vietnam) and am wondering if you guys had any advice for me as to where / when to look, what kind of visa to get etc. After spending a year in Spain, my Spanish is decent, if a little rusty, but could definitely use some improvement! I have some money in the bank, so some initial outlay while job hunting is not a big problem.

Do you think it would be best to simply to turn up and 'pavement pound', or should I try to secure a job before I fly out (possibly with IH?). What about the possibility of getting in with an international school? What would a teacher with a little experience like me expect to earn out there? I think I want to end up either in Bogota or Medellin, which one would you recommend? I'd appreciate any up-to-date info or advice you could give me! Thanks!
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go.

http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-5141.html?highlight=teaching

Forget International Schools. They mostly hire licensed teachers from International Job fairs.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of jobs to be at at second tier bilingual schools and the better ones will consider you if they have a need. You're a borderline candidate for universities (Los Andes, Externado and Sabana). IH might be the way to go if you want to walk into a job when you get here.
labomba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanglish,

Can you explain the difference between a first and second tier colegio/bilingual school and give an example?

Thanks.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tiers would generally be part of the IB network of schools or have American regional accreditation and supposedly would require foreign teachers to be certified to teach in their home country. Maybe a few of the more prestigious European schools could be placed in this category, as well. Everything in Colombia is negotiable, though and that definitely applies to these supposedly prestigious schools, also. They will have Colombian teachers, well qualified foreign teachers and foreign teachers who aren't so well qualified. They will pay everything from a truly miserable salary to around 4.5 million/month or more plus a nice, furnished apartment and flights. Nueva Granada would be a great example of a tier 1 bilingual school. Your work environment and colleagues might be great or awful. I've heard many more awful than great stories.

A tier 2 would be a school that to varying levels of success tries to be bilingual (or isn't and offers an intensive English program) and wouldn't have any kind of international accreditation. They wouldn't be so concerned with being qualified to teach in public schools in your home country. Pay could range from 1.5 million/month to 4 or considerably more. As a foreign teacher with a CELTA, 2.5 is the very minimum you should be paid at one of these schools for full time teacher work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: