Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take a trip, find a job? Maybe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Take a trip, find a job? Maybe? Reply with quote

I would love to visit the Philippines sometime, and have actually been thinking about planning a trip there. I know Filipinos already speak English, so ESL jobs are going to be rare for Americans.

But since I want to visit, and would like to try for a job there, I thought I could search for a job while visiting. I thought this might be better than applying for jobs there online. I figured going to Manila would be best.

I am actually looking at teaching in other places in Asia, like Japan or Korea, but the Philippines is the country I want to visit the most.

Is this a good idea, or is it a waste of time and money?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Take a trip, find a job? Maybe? Reply with quote

Lack wrote:
I would love to visit the Philippines sometime, and have actually been thinking about planning a trip there. I know Filipinos already speak English, so ESL jobs are going to be rare for Americans.

But since I want to visit, and would like to try for a job there, I thought I could search for a job while visiting. I thought this might be better than applying for jobs there online. I figured going to Manila would be best.

I am actually looking at teaching in other places in Asia, like Japan or Korea, but the Philippines is the country I want to visit the most.

Unless you are a qualified teacher, married to a Pinay or otherwise qualify for something other than an tourist stamp it is a non-issue. You won't find legal work (the Philippines EXPORTS English teachers to the rest of Asia).

Are there chances to find illegal work = maybe, but the time involved looking for them, paying for your visa extensions every 60 days and general low salaries mean you would be better off taking the job in Korea and spending your time between contracts enjoying your time in the Islands as a tourist.

nilsson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack this post, but is a CELTA and MA in TESOL enough to secure a work visa in the Philipines? I have a similar plan as the original poster to travel to Manila and look for work there. I'm not too worried about salary but more concerned about whether i can get a work visa or not. Any advice/thoughts? Thanks
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nilsson wrote:
Sorry to hijack this post, but is a CELTA and MA in TESOL enough to secure a work visa in the Philipines? I have a similar plan as the original poster to travel to Manila and look for work there. I'm not too worried about salary but more concerned about whether i can get a work visa or not. Any advice/thoughts? Thanks

CELTA means nothing here.

Could you qualify for a work visa = yes, IF (BIG IF) you can find an employer who is legally entitled to hire you AND who is willing to try to convince someone at the BI (immigration) that they can't find a qualified Filipino or foreigner with LEGAL residence (13a) to do the same job.

You can't work in regular schools unless you qualify as a returning Filipino or hold 13a status (non-quota immigrant status) - you need to be able to sit the L.E.T. exams.

Unless you have a valid teacher's license to go with your MA you won't be able to teach in an international school.

The school year started a month ago so you are about 9 months early or 3 months late for a university position even if they were willing to try to go to bat at the BI for you.

That pretty much leaves the (often illegal and unlicensed) Korean language schools working for Koreans with all the same problems you can expect in hagwans in Korea.

Go to China, Korea or Taiwan. The pay is better, the job conditions are better and the terms are better. Save the RP for your holidays or extended stays between contracts.

Lack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Take a trip, find a job? Maybe? Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Lack wrote:

Unless you are a qualified teacher, married to a Pinay or otherwise qualify for something other than an tourist stamp it is a non-issue. You won't find legal work (the Philippines EXPORTS English teachers to the rest of Asia).

Are there chances to find illegal work = maybe, but the time involved looking for them, paying for your visa extensions every 60 days and general low salaries mean you would be better off taking the job in Korea and spending your time between contracts enjoying your time in the Islands as a tourist.

Well, illegal work is out of the question. I definitely don't want to get mixed up in any trouble. Guess I'll forget about teaching there and just visit when I can once I get an ESL job somewhere else.
nilsson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
nilsson wrote:

CELTA means nothing here.

Could you qualify for a work visa = yes, IF (BIG IF) you can find an employer who is legally entitled to hire you AND who is willing to try to convince someone at the BI (immigration) that they can't find a qualified Filipino or foreigner with LEGAL residence (13a) to do the same job.

You can't work in regular schools unless you qualify as a returning Filipino or hold 13a status (non-quota immigrant status) - you need to be able to sit the L.E.T. exams.

Unless you have a valid teacher's license to go with your MA you won't be able to teach in an international school.

The school year started a month ago so you are about 9 months early or 3 months late for a university position even if they were willing to try to go to bat at the BI for you.

That pretty much leaves the (often illegal and unlicensed) Korean language schools working for Koreans with all the same problems you can expect in hagwans in Korea.

Go to China, Korea or Taiwan. The pay is better, the job conditions are better and the terms are better. Save the RP for your holidays or extended stays between contracts.

Thanks - that's very useful (if slightly depressing!) information
Lack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is depressing, but I knew it would be a long-shot anyway. I hope I can visit the Philippines a lot once I'm able to land an ESL job somewhere in Asia. Not a bad alternative. Wages in the Philippines wouldn't be good anyway.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel fortunate that I can visit the Philippines without needing an ESL job.

Been there four times. I just stay with relatives.

Life is good there. And things are cheap.

Cool
Jolie_V

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. The CELTA is of "no value" here, especially to the Korean-operated language academies.

An MA Tesol is certainly a big advantage. Try to check these sites: jobstreet.com.ph and jobsdb.com these sites have ads that are looking for native English speakers.

Goodluck.
kona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jovie, have you heard of anyone getting any of those jobs? I have an MA TESOL and would be interested in, at the very least, checking those out. I looked at the search engines you showed but it didn't have much for native english teachers...
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 9 days in the Philippines in August. great place to visit and I liked it much better than China.

However, there is no job market for ESL teachers.

I was chatting with a guy in a bar in Markti. He told me he does get some side work. The pay was about $5 usd an hour

Unless you have a real job there I don't think there is a way to support yourself.

The place is nice and the people have self-respect. Unlike China..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: