Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To catch a cheat or to prevent cheating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leslie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: To catch a cheat or to prevent cheating. Reply with quote

I already posted this on the Mexico forum, but someone suggested that I also post it here for more ideas. Here goes.

Okay, so I'm having problems with cheating in my classes this semester. They are really good, at cheating that is. Accordians, switching papers, etc. I've caught quite a few, but I'm thinking that for every student I catch, there's gotta be more who aren't caught.

I want to minimize the opportunity to cheat.

My classes are approx. 25 students with indiv. desks - kind of crowded.

Some of the things I've tried to prevent cheating are:

1. a vacant seat between each student
2. two different exams that look alike, but the answers are jumbled (showed that cheating was happening)
3. write name at the beginning of exam or you get 0% (discourages switching papers)
4. write in pen only
5. No questions during exams

In the future, I'm also going to make them put their napsacks in the back of the room so when they leave they aren't passing by other students.

Any other ideas from you teachers out there?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: To catch a cheat or to prevent cheating. Reply with quote

What do you mean by accordians?

Could you get more teachers in the room to help you invigilate the exam?
I always have my students leave once they're done.
No cell phones.
Check their desks to make sure there are no answers written there.
leslie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: accordians Reply with quote

Accordians are just paper that is folded like an accordian or "fan", then hidden in their pocket... oh teacher that was just for studying before the exam. The Mexican teachers call them accordians, but I call them cheat sheets.

Thanks for the ideas naturegirl.
I've gotten a few from other teachers I know and here on the eslcafe site.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: accordians Reply with quote

leslie wrote:
Accordians are just paper that is folded like an accordian or "fan", then hidden in their pocket... oh teacher that was just for studying before the exam. The Mexican teachers call them accordians, but I call them cheat sheets.

Thanks for the ideas naturegirl.
I've gotten a few from other teachers I know and here on the eslcafe site.

Wow, that fan accordian idea is good Smile I've seen some students hide papers with answer in their pens.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed that was a play on words with acordarse--but I could be wrong.

You said your room was really crowded, but I also find that walking around the classroom--in hard sole shoes--during the exam helped. So many local teachers just seem complacent about cheating. The students are used to the teacher sitting in the corner reading a magazine or sending text messages while they take their exam.

We also recently had a group of students use smart phones to cheat, and with students now using cell phones to tell the time instead of wearing a watch, we don't allow cell phones in the exam room and make sure there is a clock in sight, if not periodically write the time on the board so they won't need to check their phone for the time.
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid cheating by having very few one-answer questions. For example, not many true/false or circle the correct answer. Have them answer questions in the tests where they have to draw on their knowledge of the subject and answer in a couple of sentences, or a paragraph. That ways, cheating is very obvious, and its a lot harder to stare at someone�s paper long enough to copy a three sentence answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: