Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILS Milano?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here are some of the terms of the contract:
2500 eur monthly w/ severance pay at end
Apartment available
ticket reimbursement
visa assistance
overtime when available
25 hours teaching time per week
health care paid by school

Just to second Spiral, this raises lots of red flags for me.

An apartment might be available, but it would almost certainly not be free - especially with such a high salary. Health care is free for everyone who's paid in at least a year's worth of contributions. These are automatically deducted from your salary each month.

The salary is way too high for any school that I know of. Look on tefl dot com to get a feel of what the rates are. You may well end up earning this sort of figure in Milan, but only if you work freelance.

I've just started teaching at a university, but not as a lecturer. Some universities run their degree courses through English, and my role is to provide this English support. But because uni funding has been cut (as has all state education in Italy) you won't earn as much as you would teaching in the corporate world.

Finally, CELTA is the benchmark teaching qualification here. You might need an MA for top academic posts, but these don't really exist as far as I know in Italy. For straightforward classroom teaching, it's a CELTA or Trinity TESOL. Some places are obviously more flexible than others - if you've got classroom experience and some form of qualification you're probably fine.
traceyhames

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: ils-milano Reply with quote

I have had the job offer and the contract, am convinced it is a scam although I haven't been asked for money, so what is their purpose?
MilanTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little input.

I actually worked for ILS. They are a legit school (not fantastic, but definitely legit).

The people who have offered you a job are not ILS. ILS offers no benefits whatsoever, other than roughly 12 euros an hour after tax and 20 hours a week if you are lucky. No airfare, no health care, no visas, etc. They don't even pay for transportation to classes in companies. It would certainly not be a good enough job offer to move to a foreign country (I calculated I would have been financially better off working at the McDonalds at home). But then again, this is true of almost all English schools in Italy. If you have private clients (which take a long time to build up) it can be much better time/money wise.

But yeah, it is pretty typical these days to see scammers using the name of a legit school and luring you into a false offer. The next step is that they need a few hundred euros for accommodation/visa assistance, and then they are never heard from again. The best way to spot them is to directly call/email the contact info on the website. You can also view where the email was sent from via a few easy tricks you can find on google (usually nowhere near Italy!!)

If you really want a job, I'm sure the real ILS would take you- but it would hardly be as lucrative as this scam contract! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Dfresh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kriskem,

I also applied to this "school" and had a skype interview with them last week which consisted of them sending me a ms word document that contained 20 questions. That was the interview. They responded back today saying I have the job and for me to scan my passport and send it to them...No details about the job or anything. Also, when I tried to add them to skype before the interview, the profile with the schools info was not them, but another profile that said their location was "United States, Milano" was who I had the interview with... So ya, this looks like a scam to me too.
Dfresh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kriskem,

Have you had any further correspondence with this company? Did you ever send them a scanned copy of your passport as requested? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: