Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peru - possible w/o experience or cert.?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebishar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Peru - possible w/o experience or cert.? Reply with quote

I'm a young American with a B.A., no teaching experience, and no certification. I originally wanted to move to Morocco to teach, but after applying to a few jobs there, and reading up on it, it looks like Morocco might not be a good place to start out. After reading quite a bit of this forum, it seems Asia and South America are the most likely places to find a job. I've applied to a few schools in Asia by email, but am more interested in South America.

I really appreciate the information available on this forum, especially the great posts by naturegirl. I have a few points I'd like to be sure on, though, before I fly to Peru.

Here are my questions: It sounds like I have more of a chance of getting a job in Peru than in other South American countries. Is this true? I'm also under the impression that it's not possible to arrange a job beforehand, that I should simply fly there and see what happens.

I have no qualms about working illegally, but I am, I must admit, a little worried that after I arrive in Peru I simply won't be able to find a job. So what do you think my chances are of finding work after I arrive? Also, is $500 a month enough to live on before securing a job? Finally, is there a particular time of year that it is best to start looking? Should I come in September, or can I come whenever is convenient for me?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, as long as you have a pulse you can teach in Peru. Don't expect a visa, expect about 8usd an hour. I PMed you with more info

Here are my questions: It sounds like I have more of a chance of getting a job in Peru than in other South American countries. Is this true? Yes, it's easy to get jobs. GOod jobs, are hard. You might have to work at a couple of places.

So what do you think my chances are of finding work after I arrive? Very good, but like I said, you'll probably have to work at a couple of places.

Also, is $500 a month enough to live on before securing a job? Dependshow you live, I have friends who pay 1900usd just for a flat. 500 is decent, but you won't be taking taxis all over the place.

Finally, is there a particular time of year that it is best to start looking? Should I come in September, or can I come whenever is convenient for me? Don't come at the end of July, Christmas, Easter, or Jan or Feb. Otherwise you should be fine.
McRae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Also interested in heading to Peru without experience Reply with quote

I plan to head to Peru to begin my TEFL experience. Naturegirl, I noticed the times you posted as bad options to head to Peru. As of now, my plans are to head down by the first of February. I was wondering why those are bad months? The reason I can think of is that the year has already begun and teachers are already secured into their positions.

Another post mentioned June/July were great times to head down. Would you agree with this?

I would love to hear how an initial experience went from each of you, Naturegirl and Lebishar.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July is good if you have money to sit on--it`s a good time to get hired but there are a lot of holidays that month so you won`t work much until August. The other times I don`t know.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just saw this now. Jan and Feb are vacation time, so there will be less classes. End of July is BAD, it's independence and again, lots of cancelled classes.
dannyd321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a BA at 19 years old, with some experience and fluency in Spanish and English what would be my chances of getting a job? Would it be too much of a risk, or should I look elsewhere in Latin America?
kona

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never taught in Peru, but I've taught in Mexico and have known people that have taught in Peru. You would probably have no chance whatsoever in getting a work permit (even teachers with solid qualifications have trouble with this, unless they're at a international school), and you probably would be working with lower tier institutes.

That being said, if it's anything like Mexico, then you can for sure get work. I knew a few people there who had no BA or cert.

Just make sure you have enough cash for an escape if need be; better to be broke in the states/canada than broke in Peru.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19, with no degree I'd get a degree if I were you. A BA has become what a HS dip was years ago. Yes, of course, you might be able to get a job. ANd people have and people will, but gettinga BA will open a lot more doors.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: If you are 19.. stay in school!! Reply with quote

If you want to see Peru, do so during your summer vacation Smile. Trying to job hunt locally with no BA, no work experience and no TEFL won't work.. even if you got a job, it would be a horrendous job. Peru does have fairly low standards for teachers compared to Asia-- where I doubt anyone would even interview you-- but any refutable school will want at least a TEFL and probably a BA. Plus..would you really feel comfortable being a teacher to 18 year olds?
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing, is, that you might want to think about how fair it is to teach with no experience or skills to do so. I have taught with many such teachers over the years, and kind of feel it is unethical to take the hard earned money of people who work very hard for very little. Many want to learn English to have better futures, but if you are taking their money, without having the ability to actually teach them, that seems a little unethical, don't you think?
ChewyB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peru is definitely possible to teach in without experience. You may not get the cream of the crop when it comes to job prospects, though. That being said, there are so many language schools lining up for native English speaking teachers that you're bound to find numerous opportunities to set up an interview and get a job. If you work hard I would expect to see you in a fair-paying job inside of two weeks. Good luck out there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: