Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching ESL on line? Who has good and bad stories to share?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El_Mero_Mero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Teaching ESL on line? Who has good and bad stories to share? Reply with quote

Hello, I feel like I've known about teaching online for awhile, but I've never done it. I have the free time and don't mind working during my AM just to accommodate a student's PM and vice versa. So, please provide some honest experiences, and also, if you wouldn't mind, please recommend any companies to look into working with. Thanks.
ofonda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught on-line for ISUS (Spain), and Education First (EF On-line labs). They were both positive experiences. ISUS classes were one-on-one with business professionals and paid about $14 an hour. Addtionally, they have a large data-base of lesson plans to choose from. EF classes were taught in a virtual classroom where you used all the same tools you would use in a conventional classroom (Whiteboard, notes, etc...). They paid about $10 an hour. Adminstritative reports were minimal and could be done in a matter of minutes. Prep-time was also minimal (It took me about 15 - 30 minutes to prepare for the lessons). Both companies directly deposited your pay into your checking account, and the staff for both companies were pleasant to work with. No degree is required, but a TEFL certificate, and work experience, are required. Just type ISUS, or Education First into a search engine, and you can easily locate their websites and apply on-line. Hope this helps.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been teaching online with Open English for about 9 months now and I love it! You get paid by the 45 minute class, the students are great and motivated and you will get as many hours as you want. Very little planning, as lessons are a daily theme, and you teach the same lesson every hour you work that day. They are hiring right now, so if you are interested email me for more details.
Gerund

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the sites mentioned above, and they all look interesting, but the pay is just barely above minimum wage. Does anyone have advice regarding a way for highly qualified and experinced teachers to make some real money doing this (or at least enough to live on)?

Thanks
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with hoping to make 'real' money online is that courses via computer are marketed partly-to-largely on the basis of 'cheaper than face-to-face.' That's why the teacher pay is generally less than regular teaching. Balanced out against the lower costs for the teacher (less prep, no transport costs, etc) it can be worth it, but I've never heard of online teaching payng at par with face-to-face, and certainly not above.

Unless you could market yourself as some sort of highly specialized niche teacher, perhaps, but you'd likely need to market yourself directly, cutting out the middleman, to make anything worth really counting.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest pay I've ever heard of for online teaching through a company is $20 an hour - and that's pretty rare.

Regards,
John
hollysuel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
The highest pay I've ever heard of for online teaching through a company is $20 an hour - and that's pretty rare.

Regards,
John

The highest I have received is $26, and like johnslat said, it is pretty rare. The company I own pays $20, but I am very selective and have few teachers/students anyway as I've done little to no marketing as of yet... I think the average is about $10 to $15 an hour from what I have seen, which isn't much so one has to look at other things--no commute, flexible hours, etc.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't started yet as I'm still milking the clock on maternity leave but the idea of no commute/flexible hours is good enough for me to take the lower wage.
flossiebebe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: online teaching Reply with quote

I've worked for 4 companies : Open English, Oxford Connect, JREnglish and ISUS and definitely prefer the latter.
Online teaching is great for flex hours, work from home, can be under the table (not taxable, generally private to small classes etc.

Not so great if the employer is not trustworthy. This seems to be a problem with small schools. They've not met you so they don't feel obliged to follow any standards. eg. one school never paid me on time, another overhired in the busy season and then laid off 1/2 the staff when it got quiet.

Another problem with working online is the isolation of working from home. I try to have at least 2 live private students or offer to do Saturdays at a local language school
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: