Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singapore Korean School - any info ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monorail Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Singapore Korean School - any info ? Reply with quote

I've done a search of the forum but can't find any info on this school. A google search returned little, as well.

I've got an interview lined up with them. Has anyone got any info they'd like to share ?

Last I heard, the school was planning to build a new campus to accommodate 500 students (up from 100 students). Did this happen ? Their website is (naturally) in Korean and google translate doesn't always work so well. Sad

PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Wink
Monorail Cat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 60 views and no replies ?!! Shocked

Oh well, I got offered the job. Are there any "old hands" in Singapore who could comment on what I've been offered ?

Basic salary S$3,000.
Housing Allowance S$1,000.
Additional allowance for extra qualifications I have S$500.

TOTAL = S$4,500. per month

The school is also offering me a one-time S$500. "settlement allowance" and basic medical insurance is offered in the package. There's no end of contract bonus or air fares included. The school is based over on the east side of the island.

I should mention that I'm single, so no wifey or kiddies to bring with me. Also, I'm not into spending money on a regular nightlife and would like to save at least S$1,000. per month or more if possible.

I think my big concerns after reading posts on here and other expat forums are the cost of a rental deposit and shipping my stuff onto the island (I'm not based in Singapore). Also, I've read somewhere that I'll be hit for taxes during the first 6 months (need to check this though).

Can anyone here give me their opinion about this package ?

Many thanks in advance for any help/comments you can give me. Wink
SydGirl2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Singapore Korean School-any info? Reply with quote

Monorail Cat, I have sent you a PM.
hqliew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4.5k sounds enough to live pretty comfortably in Singapore. there is plenty of cheap, good food if you aren't too fussy, and public transit is pretty good too.
Doro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Singapore Korean School - any info ? Reply with quote

Monorail Cat wrote:
I've done a search of the forum but can't find any info on this school. A google search returned little, as well.

I've got an interview lined up with them. Has anyone got any info they'd like to share ?

Last I heard, the school was planning to build a new campus to accommodate 500 students (up from 100 students). Did this happen ? Their website is (naturally) in Korean and google translate doesn't always work so well. Sad

PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Wink

Hi Monorail Cat, I'll write you a PM because I have some questions regarding Singapore Korean school!
Doro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hqliew wrote:
$4.5k sounds enough to live pretty comfortably in Singapore. there is plenty of cheap, good food if you aren't too fussy, and public transit is pretty good too.

Hi Hqliew, I am going to move to Singapore soon and I was wondering if you had some tips for me?! I am a secondary school teacher for English as a second langauage, German as a second language, Geography, and Media Education and I am looking for a job there.

Thanks!
Doro
biollo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Korean Singapore School Reply with quote

My son went there from 2006 - 2008. It's a small school and at that time had less than 100 students with all the grades combined. The English teachers have changed every few years with the Korean staff being a bit more stable. The school was strong in having cultural days - sports day, Korean cultural days, festivals, but being such a small school there was no gym at that time. They were planning to move campuses in 2009 - 2010 but I don't know if they were able to as money for the new campus was always a concern.
Doro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Korean Singapore School Reply with quote

biollo wrote:
My son went there from 2006 - 2008. It's a small school and at that time had less than 100 students with all the grades combined. The English teachers have changed every few years with the Korean staff being a bit more stable. The school was strong in having cultural days - sports day, Korean cultural days, festivals, but being such a small school there was no gym at that time. They were planning to move campuses in 2009 - 2010 but I don't know if they were able to as money for the new campus was always a concern.

Last edited by Doro on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Singapore School Reply with quote

Doro wrote:
biollo wrote:

Dear biollo,
Thanks for this post! This sounds very interesting! I think they have moved to the new campus by now. It would be a great experience to teach there!
I have one more question, though. The school is an elementary and a middle school (grades 1 through 6) isn't it? I definitely have to learn Korean if I teach there, it is really hard if you do not even understand the homepage! Thanks again!
biollo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school is grades 1 - 6. The previous English teachers haven't spoken Korean as most of the staff speak some English.
flyingcolours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else know more about this school?

Thank you.
darrenjzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new info?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: