Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German citizenship based on ancestry
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OzBurn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: German citizenship based on ancestry Reply with quote

I have read on this site that it is possible for Americans and others of German descent to get German citizenship and a German passport based on that descent. Is this true? Can anyone point me to a website with information about the process? I tried searching Yahoo but found nothing. Is this real or just another myth?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: No thanks Reply with quote

German law does NOT rec ognize dual citizenship. If you do qualify for citizenship on the grounds of having a German parent, would you be prepared to renounce your original nationality ?
OzBurn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that so? It seems to contradict other things I have read.

I have realized that my original post was not clear. My great-grandparents on one side from from Germany.

I might be willing to renounce my citizenship, but I doubt it.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: not sure Reply with quote

Not sure but I think that far back might not qualify you. Though if you were in Russia or one of the successor staes of the USSR yopu probably WOULD qualify as a "Spaetaussiedler".

Why not ask at a German Embassy ?
OzBurn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent them an email, and am awaiting their reply. But I think you may be right -- those "ins" are for so-called "ethnic Germans" in Russia and other CIS countries. Still that doesn't seem to make much sense if you think about it. A German friend of mine told me he thought it was easy for anyone who had German ancestry, but he didn't really know anything for sure.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I lived in Kazakhstan and had a German or Yiddish name I think maybe I would want to get out. But if I were in GOD'S OWN COUNTRY, why would I want to go and live with all those foreigners in Yourup ?

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Placebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: No thanks Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
German law does NOT rec ognize dual citizenship. If you do qualify for citizenship on the grounds of having a German parent, would you be prepared to renounce your original nationality ?

Sorry, scot47, but you are not quite right with this statement. German law DOES recognize dual citizenship in some cases. How do I know? I have dual citizenship... I was born in Germany to a German father and an American mother. I do not have to renounce one of my citizenships as the U.S recognizes dual citizenships as well.

But if you are not born in Germany and/or neither of your parents was, then you won't be able to obtain dual citizenship. If at least one of your parents is German, you will be able ,as scot47 states correctly, to obtain German citizenship by renouncing your original one.

Having German grandparents who emmigrated is simply not enough.
Hap Thorton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for you there, Placebo, as I also have dual German/American citizenship. I remember that when I was in elementary school I had only American citizenship (officially), and was told by my parents that when I turned 18 I would have to decide whether to retain my US citizenship or switch to German citizenship. But by the time I turned 18, either my parents had been mistaken, or the laws changed, because I was able to receive dual citizenship. Ever seen the Bourne identity, where he's got all those passports? I fancy myself a spy sometimes, walking through airports, "accidentally" exposing both passports to someone, and then slinking away into the shadows with a final glance back.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine waking up each day knowing you are German. It would be my worst nightmare. I mean, the washing lines, the clean car, calling your girlfriend Sie, having to do 5 years in the army. The Horror.

Most Germans would want to change their citizenship and must think anyone doing vice versa to be out and out bonkers.
Ferne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hod...happy to hear you know most Germans!
I am German-American as well, born in Germany to a Bavarian mother and an American dad so Hap, I know that "spy" feeling all too well!! That's exactly how I experience it at the airports!
But yes, Germany does recognize dual citizenship. Actually, I have experienced more recognition problems in the US!
Placebo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Imagine waking up each day knowing you are German. It would be my worst nightmare. I mean, the washing lines, the clean car, calling your girlfriend Sie, having to do 5 years in the army. The Horror.

Most Germans would want to change their citizenship and must think anyone doing vice versa to be out and out bonkers.

Hod, I suspect you are one of those bitter Brits who still think all Germans are Nazis?

Your stereotypical thinking just reflects your ignorance and lack of knowledge of other cultures....

Btw the German army takes 10 month and is optional....
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very easy for Germans to do alternatives to Army Service. Will that be the case in the US when they reintroduce the Draft to provide fodder for the follies of Bush in the Middle East ?
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placebo wrote:
Hod wrote:

Hod, I suspect you are one of those bitter Brits who still think all Germans are Nazis?

Your stereotypical thinking just reflects your ignorance and lack of knowledge of other cultures....

Btw the German army takes 10 month and is optional....

oh well that's me corrected, you humourless pseudo-craut.
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on, Hod, you forgot the positive side of being a German, the queue jumping, always being right, being able to have a mullet and not have the piss ripped out of you, women with minges under their armpits, all year round permatans, being able to frequently use the word Neger without anyone wetting their knickers and not forgetting being able to visit the pick of eastern europes most nubile teenage whores for franzosich pur and anal.
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an 'Anglo Saxon' Brit would I count as having German ancestry? Or does it not go back that far...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: