Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cricket lessons
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Cricket lessons Reply with quote

An impromptu lesson on the rules of cricket using the highlights of the test series in South Africa. They wouldn't leave the room and all want to know when they can go to a real game. What have I done!!!???

Has a chinaman ever bowled a chinaman before? If not I could have sown the seeds this week!

Last edited by Russell Hadd on Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few years ago there was a course book that had a reading activity that tried to explain the rules of cricket. I can't remember the level or the name of the course book. Anyone remember?
teacheringreece

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done cricket lessons before. You can do all kinds of stuff, reading comprehension, listening comprehension, language for rules (zero conditionals mainly). I've also taken them out to play in summer schools and they normally love it. I remember one occassion two self-styled Russian hardcases saying to me: "It's very interesting this game cricket. I would like to find out more about it". Japanese students are sometimes quite good at batting because they play baseball, and Japanese girls like running around in groups after the ball.

Generally outside the ex British colonies no-one in the world even knows what the ball looks like so they tend to be very interested.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great problem that has puzzled me for years : why did cricket catch on in the Raj but football did not ?
Will.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could have had something to do with " Only for the lower classes"
and football being played by the enlisted men whereas the officers played cricket. those with time to play cricket emulated the officers and thus it trickled down the strata into the street and alley.
I could be wrong but it fits the image doesn't it?
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: May I rub your ball, sir? Reply with quote

Loath as I am to discuss the greatest ever cure for insomnia, I think the answer could be related to chronology. Association Football developed in the UK from about the mid-1860s, whereas cricket had been around a lot longer. I guess cricket was firmly established in the Indian sub-continent by the time football crossed the oceans.
Association Football was a middle-class affair before it achieved mass popularity.
flavoursome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess some of it has to do with physique as well
I've heard people say that Indians are not so naturally disposed body wise to be professional footballers
How many Indians play in any English league? -
no role models for the indian kids to emulate

Can you imagine an Indian Beckam?

Maybe it's a religous thing to - you cant exactly do a neat little glancing header with a ruddy great turban on yer bonce now , can you?
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL cricket lessons ESL?
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: May I rub your ball, sir? Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Association Football was a middle-class affair before it achieved mass popularity.

Nah, sorry Graham.. it was a working class and upper class affair by and large. Rugby was the middle class game.

The reason Rugby League and Union split was that the insecure middle classes couldn't accept the need for working class players to be paid (to make up the wages they'd otherwise lose). In the case of football there were no such social insecurities and the idea was accepted without demur.

Harrow, Eton and Winchester were all soccer schools: the lesser colleges were often the rugby playing ones.

Bet you're sorry you mentioned it Smile
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Class act Reply with quote

I thought the upper class's interest in ball games was confined to kicking peasants around.
Must disagree re the soccer schools: 'Arrow's on an 'ill, so they couldn't 'ave laid out a football pitch. Eton was full of silly punts (!) and there was no room for a pitch in Winchester on account of the cathedral.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Windies here we come! Windies Windies here we come! Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Loath as I am to discuss the greatest ever cure for insomnia.

Careful! If you drop off in the middle of this you might end up being one of the 17 poor devils who never make it home!

I presume you'll not be joining the tartan section of the Barmey Army in Ireland this Summer cheering our lads on to World Cup qualification and dreaming of a trip to the Windies in 2007.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: It's just not cricket! Reply with quote

Any Scot who supports England is clearly in need of psychiatric care. For my part, I'll gladly support whoever England plays in the World Cup, with the exception of Greece (if they're there), as I suspect that their perfromance may be chemically assisted.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: It's just not cricket! Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Any Scot who supports England is clearly in need of psychiatric care. For my part, I'll gladly support whoever England plays in the World Cup, with the exception of Greece (if they're there), as I suspect that their perfromance may be chemically assisted.

Sounds like this quote is chemically assisted! I was talking about OUR LADS (Scottish) in Ireland. I'll support any of the teams from these islands who make it to the World Cup. As far as I can see that's probably England and hopefully Ireland in the soccer. We are too far behind in the qualifying and have no quality players. In the cricket in the West Indies 2007 England (test teams automatically qualify) and hopefully Ireland and our lads will make it. If you want to lend your support the qualifying is in Ireland in the Summer. As you may know the Barmey Army isn't just English - all are welcome. I couldn't make it to South Africa but I assure you Welsh, Scottish and Irish were there too.

By the way, anyone want to bet on how many of our lads are picked for the Lions? If anyone gets picked then some poor Welsh Irish or English player should feel very hard done by.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Feeding time. Reply with quote

Tony Blair should be picked for the lions. If they're not hungry, I'm sure the sharks will oblige.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel Blair would make a better outside-half than Tony Blair with his neat side steps and easy name alteration to El Lion. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd think Tony Blair's Scottish ancestry would be too distant for him to be considered as a Scottish representitive. Mind you he'd probably do a better job than that shower of useless fools who pretended to represent us in this year's 6 nations. I don't know which is in a worse state the SFA or SRFU.

At least Cricket Scotland is making progress. What a great Summer we can look forward to, as well as the Totesport we've got the World Cup qualifiers and the visit of the mighty Aussies in August. Scottish Cricket has never been in a better state and with a steady influx of South Asian players the number of clubs will continue to expand and competition will grow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: