Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still Selling Cambodia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Still Selling Cambodia Reply with quote

Quote:
For the film, Jolie spent two weeks on location in Cambodia � a beautiful country with a terrible history of civil war and genocide. Jolie said the experience deeply moved her.

Quote:
"When we left, I cried for about three days, and I didn't know why," the actress told ABCNEWS' Barbara Walters in an interview airing tonight on 20/20. "I didn't know what that country had gone through, I didn't learn about it in history, and they were so warm, and so beautiful, and so pure and honest, and the country, I just loved the country."

Watch Angelina Jolie's Interview with Barbara Walter July 11, Friday at 10 p.m. on ABC 20/20

ABC Angelina Jolie's Interview

Last edited by khmerhit on Fri May 06, 2005 9:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: only 900 usd Reply with quote

So you found your teaching job in Phnom Penh; now-- how to get from A to B?

http://news.yahoo.com/?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030713/od_afp/lifestyle_cambodia_auto_030713121047
Cool
Quote:
Backyard mechanic produces Cambodia's first car
Sun Jul 13, 8:10 AM ET
PHNOM PENH (AFP) - A backyard motor mechanic has won widespread applause for producing Cambodia's first automobile with flair, and at a cost that would confound car manufacturers across the region.

AFP/File Photo

The "Angkor-2003" is a dashing two-seater convertible that takes four months to produce at 900 dollars a unit in Nhean Pholeouk's Phnom Penh garage. A new motorcycle costs about the same.

"It is the first home-made car in Cambodia, I'm very proud of my work," he said while polishing-up the finished product.

Dozens of orders have poured in since the 46-year-old, who subsidises his income by washing cars, drove his product to a park outside the home of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

There, thousands of people gathered to check-out the "Angkor" and offers have quickly come from tourist operators looking to ferry Western tourists around this country's famed temples.

"People always ask me if I bought it from abroad. When I tell them it was made by my hand, they are very surprised and often do not believe me."

But he complained that the government has shown little interest.

"I am told that in Western countries, if someone builds such a thing, he would get a medal and become rich. I have to struggle, it is very difficult," he said.

The Angkor has a top speed of 60 kilometres (36 miles) per hour and is powered by a 100cc motorbike engine with a four speed gear-box. But plans are on the drawing board to increase the speed to 120 kilometers an hour.

Bucket seats and panelling were made at home while spare parts from motorbikes and scrapped cars were used to complete the Angkor. Its four litre fuel tank can cover 100 kilomtres (60 miles).

"People have asked me if they could build 10 or 20 cars at a time. I can make them but I need contract labour to build them in the required time," said Nhean Pholeouk, who was described as a "budding Henry Ford" by the English language newspaper the Phnom Penh Post.

Nhean Pholeouk hopes to enter a joint venture that would raise much needed capital and possibly prepare his product for export.

"My plan is to build more big and better cars, but I am short of capital. I want to kick-start a joint venture and make bigger cars," he said.

Last edited by khmerhit on Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: joking Reply with quote

At the upper end of the market, Cambodia has some excellent schools. such as the following from www.khmer440.com

http://www.ai.sri.com/~luong/terragalleria/images/theravada/camb2946.jpeg
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Holiday in cambodia Reply with quote

From www.khmer.com

"All though most of the private language schools don't have any long holidays, someone once told me that Cambodia has the second highest amount of public holidays on earth i'm not sure if this is true or not but it has to be somewhere close.

1st January International New Year
7th January 7th January Day �
8th March International Women�s Day �
13-16th April Cambodian New Year
1st May International Labour Day �
10th May �Visaka Bochea Day
14th May Royal Ploughing Ceremony
1st June International Children�s Day
18th June �Queen's Birthday �
21st September Pchum Ben Day
24th September Constitution Day �
23rd October �Paris Peace Agreement Day �
30-31 October King's Birthday �
3rd -5th November �Water Festival, Moon Feestival �
10th December UN Human Rights Day �
25th December Christmas Day

These are the official ones but fear not the goverment seem to invent a few reasons most years to throw in a couple extra, last year it was the ASEAN summit which got us all the best part of a week off.
The funny thing is with the holidays is they only seem to count for teachers and high ranking public sector workers, every one else grinds on as normal.
dandan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be talking to yourself again, dear. Go and have a lie down for a bit, you'll feel much better.
MonkeyKing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a book about ex-pat EFL teachers in Cambodia...'Off The Rails In Phnom Penh' by Amit Gilboa...craaaazy stuff.
Dragon5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a book about ex-pat EFL teachers in Cambodia...'Off The Rails In Phnom Penh' by Amit Gilboa...craaaazy stuff.

They say that truth is stranger than fiction - not in the case of that book I think he lays it on a little thick!
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dragon 5, he does appear to lay it on thick. However, I can tell you it's all true, including the parts about himself that he left out. I was acquainted with almost all the protagonists, not something I wish to boast about! If you go to the Capitol Guesthouse in Phnom Penh, in November, and have a good listen, you will see what I mean. Well, go anytime, but that month is when a particular cohort flies in each year.
Dragon5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there was alot the author didn't add in regards to his own involvment, it shows what sought of person he is if he is pointing the fingure at every one else while being in denial about his own actions.

I wonder whether this book atracts teachers to Phnom Penh or scares them away?
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uiotuil

Last edited by khmerhit on Fri May 06, 2005 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
daily chai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: thx Khmerhit Reply with quote

Thanks Khmerhit for all the info. Your enthusiasm is refreshing. I checked out a couple websites--if I can talk my partner into a holiday there, who knows? We are currently in Taiwan on a fruitless search for an adult/older-student teaching gig that isn't run like a labor camp (no disrespect intended to those who actually went through labor camps, but you know what I mean). I visited Cambodia for a stint; it was lovely. We'll see about that holiday! THanks again for the info.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by khmerhit on Fri May 06, 2005 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
daily chai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I'll PM you.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambodia Cool
mjed9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give more basic details of your conditions and lifestyle in terms of what you are doing, who you are teaching, people, money, is it beautiful? I must admit for some strange reason Cambodia sounds appealing!!! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: