Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you recommend Cambodia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Would you recommend Cambodia? Reply with quote

I have read some good and bad things about teaching in Cambodia (like everywhere else, I guess). How dangerous would you say it is? Could someone list the pros and cons? Thanks.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros:

its cambodia

its hot

its pretty cheap

Cons:

uuummmmmmmmmm

eeerrrrrrrrrrr

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm?

C A M B O D I A
try it and see Cool
Nabby Adams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khmerhit, I've always loved your unabounded enthusiasim for all things Camboish, but I gotta ask. Why haven't you gone back?

Going back to Cambodia

Try it and see Smile
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabby Adams wrote:

Going back to Cambodia

Try it and see Smile

LoL...

Yes, Phnom Penh is definitely one of the more dangerous places I've visited throughout SEasia. Not super dangerous, but more compared to other cities and countries. I regularly met people that had trouble late nights on moto taxis. Seemed like getting robbed at knife point wasn't uncommon; unlike most other parts of SEasia where I HARDLY EVER heard of a westerner having any trouble or getting robbed. Given Cambodia's recent history compared to its neighbors this shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOING BACK--
i went back 2 yeras ago --my friendz bar was attacked the night i arrived and i had to help save him --with the aid of a friendly ulsterman--from the homicical nebours---its that kindsa place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzRuUVlbxRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xec5Ht7qFeI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi6aNW8dAlY&feature=fvw

cool automobile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvR1j2JzmfU&NR=1

this perwson went back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=437po_kzgLI&feature=related

I have been in Phnom Penh for a week, and now that the Water Festival has finished I can start doing the rounds of the local schools. It�s an interesting place and if I can get enough hours to survive I might stay for a year or two. If not, China beckons.

Give it a go, nothing to lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trIuuwTVpvA&feature=related

C A M B O D I A
try it and see
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
mindweave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Cambodia is great Reply with quote

I spent three months teaching at a private university in Phnom Penh and I thought Cambodia was great.

You can eat any ethnic kind of food any day or night and the students there are amazing. Many are enrolled in two different degree programs and tell you, "Teacher can you give us MORE homework?" They were a joy to teach, unlike some rude students I have experienced from other countries.

I went places alone at night and never had any problems, and I am an older woman. Also, there is a lot of art and cultural events, so if you are not a bar fly, there is plenty of other stuff to do to enrich your life.

The most dangerous aspect of Cambodia is the crazy drivers.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been to Cambodia but I love the people I have met so far from that country. I am in the U.S. and I've been volunteering to teach English to a Cambodian immigrant. We started learning English in August 2008 with pictures and now my student is going through the U.S. citizenship process. This woman is one of the hardest working people I've met. She and her family have welcomed me into their home, invited me to their social functions, and cook for me to show their gratitude. Their large family are the most hard working, kind and appreciative immigrants I've ever met. They have enormous respect for teachers, and my student always does her homework. Until now I never thought of teaching in this country, and I may consider it, but I know for sure I would like to visit some day.
Lord GaGa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Cambodia Reply with quote

Quote:
C A M B O D I A
try it and see Cool

I'm considering it, but I don't want this: http://www.roadjunky.com/article/2179/teaching-english-in-phnom-penh-cambodia
Is this the typical Cambodian experience khmerhit ?
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lord GaGa--

thanks you for postibg this. If I said it was either typical or atypical--or is that distypical--i would have to kill you.

Yours Faithfully,

khmerhit Laughing
bonsta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend Cambodia, recently spent 6 weeks teaching there at an orphanage and slum school. It was totally amazing! the children were so loving, very cute and super keen to learn. I guess as a volunteer you get the pick of the bunch, these children are not like th many spoilt little rich kids at many Phnom penh schools, they are underpriviledged and love the fact you are there for them.

I am a female and travelled indepently, did not feel at all unsafe. I went out often at night, visited other cities and feel in love with the country.

You do have to understand the culture is very different,it's very chaotic and kind of ruthless as everyone is struggling to get ahead but the khmer people are very welcoming and always have a smile.
jamesreb360

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonsta wrote:
I am a female and travelled indepently, did not feel at all unsafe. I went out often at night, visited other cities and feel in love with the country.

You do have to understand the culture is very different,it's very chaotic and kind of ruthless as everyone is struggling to get ahead but the khmer people are very welcoming and always have a smile.

DITTO. I only spent about 2 weeks between PP and SR and loved both places and people. The problem is with people who behave as in below blog...

Lord GaGa wrote:
I'm considering it, but I don't want this: http://www.roadjunky.com/article/2179/teaching-english-in-phnom-penh-cambodia

The problem in this blog is probably the management of the schools hiring only fresh teachers (like me). The blog basically seemed to describe a bunch of mis-fit teachers that fed on each others bad behaviors and school management not stopping it. But the blog writer was also kinda ghetto in his lack of cultural awareness and it shows. Don't listen to it.

My2cents
Elkythedogsperson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that blog ( http://www.roadjunky.com/article/2179/teaching-english-in-phnom-penh-cambodia ) is a lot of exaggeration. From my experience of 14 months in PP teaching at a private university I'd give maybe 50% of what he said to be true.

Reading his bio at the very bottom gives an idea he likes self-glorification. It was a fun read if only for entertainment. I think he's picking out only the negative things and not looking at the big picture. Personally, I'm glad to hear he's moved on from Phnom Penh. I wouldn't want to teach with that guy.

I would recommend Cambodia as long as one has patience and accepts you are truly in a non-western culture.
markustm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Most people exaggerate their Cambodian Experience Reply with quote

I lived in Cambodia during 1997-1998. My experience of Cambodia was that because the country was considered, "dangerous," most expats exaggerated a lot- especially to there buddies back home.

Cambodia was then, and what I hear now, a very sad Country. A Country were you become cfynical, because everything is in a murky grey area.

NGO's profess to help the 'poor' but are more likely to enrich themselves by not helping anyone but themselves.

The Government are kleptocrats, whilst the wealthy do not care about anyone but themselves. It is a society were everything is possible, depending on the money.

Teachers exaggerate, some play macho games, others play the 'Im cool," I am in a dangerous Country hype. When in reality, Cambodia is not the only country you can smoke "wacky weed," drink to excess or pick up bar girls- you can in most countries in Europe or Asia.

An American friend put Cambodia in a nutshell, "Its really dangerous in LA, I feel safer here. but if I exaggerate the danger I get double pay."

Basically, Cambodian students are a nightmare. They complain a lot, are moody, and basically believe English is all about Grammar. Schools tend to hire you on an hourly basis, and can hire/fire at will depending on the current mood of the owner or if someone else knocked on their door- preferably a sexy looking blonde, looking for work.

After leaving Cambodia, I went to Indonesia. It was far more dangerous, there were riots, people were hungry, and the streets were often ruled by mobs. The country broke down in a matter of months.

But none of my expatriate or Indonesian counterparts, played the macho or danger card, despite the fact Indonesia was more dangerous than Cambodia. They just got along with life, went to work, went clubbing and just got on with things, despite the chaos around us.

Poverty levels in Cambodia are just as bad, as I have seen in many parts of Indonesia. Whilst I never experienced the sight of "do gooders" driving around in 25.000 dollar cars, and earning 4.000 dollars plus a month to help "poor" people.

Cambodia is a good Country to visit, but sadly it has become too trendy to play an "I live in a dangerous Country," or help yourself whilst claiming to help others. It became a "good cause," to guilty governments, who previously supported the Khmer Rouge after 1980.

I liked Cambodia, but after working in several Asian countries, now see the country as one which shares many of the problems I have seen elsewhere. And to be honest with you, see any "macho" talk by Cambodian expats as a bad joke.

But it sells books and fuels the imagination I guess Very Happy
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you want to say, but I currently live in Phnom Penh, and I would say that stories that you hear are probably not exaggerated. I've read/heard about crazy stories before I lived here, and just assumed they were all bs. Now that I've been living in this country (for about 6 months or so, going in and out several times over the past year and a half) I have seen things that make me realise that the other stories i've heard are probably spot on. The corruption starts before you even enter the country. The sign says $20 for a visa, but they try (and usually succeed) to charge you $25. That should set the stage upon entering.

Since I've been here, several officers of the RCAF (royal cambodian armed forces) have gotten in big trouble for shooting civilians, or other officers around the country. Just last week a drunk RCAF officer shot his gun a few times in the air near a popular bar were many westerners hang out, and a ricocheted bullet struck a female western English teacher in the foot. She wasn't terribly hurt, and she came back several hours after she rushed to the hospital ( i think she went back to get her stuff that she left behind because she was in a hurry) and the officer was still sitting on the curb drinking and had yet to be arrested... This was on a Sunday afternoon.

Say what you want to say, but it's pretty lawless here, or maybe u can say many are above the law.

And, as a matter of fact, many people that were in the Khmer Rouge are still high ranking officials in the CPP, which is now the ruling party. Google it.

Indonesia and Cambodia both have HUGE problems with corruption, and I haven't had much trouble at all in either country, but I'm aware that it exists.

On the other-hand, I haven't had ANY trouble personally. I drive around carefree late hours of the night all over the city, and 'feel' relatively safe.

It is definitely a recovering country. All things considered, the pros of living here outweigh the cons.
formulaic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've travelled through Cambodia before and liked it. Never thought about teaching there and this thread hasn't changed that. Never say never however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: