Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am so disappointed in the way people are treated in Qatar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: So that says it all Reply with quote

Redcar24 wrote:
Ok! somebody should take some notes because Qatar is no longer a safe place to live ...................

At least this post brought some light to jobs and the situations in Qatar.. Be sure there should be some reason for concern...

Have you read an American newspaper lately? a UK paper? In relative terms, there is NO comparison as far as danger.

VS
Redcar24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: comparing the US to Qatar Reply with quote

Ok look at it this way Crime verses no Crime.....Ok at least in the US you know safe places Right! Now picture yourself in the Mall and someone is behind you in a car and drags you out of your car and beats you because they don't like the way you drive....

What's better the USA or Someplace else where crime is getting really bad and it has a name for the World Cup Championships...South Africa had the decency to stop fighting during their World Cup and they have a real bad rep for crime....This something to take seriously because Qatar's laws are old and the police look the other way....
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Redcar24,

"Ok at least in the US you know safe places Right!

I wonder if I could request, as a public service, that you post a list of the safe places.

Thanks,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that list would be very useful because I travel a lot by RV. It would be nice to know before I get to a new place...

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I was sat behind a car at the lights in Doha when someone went into the back of me and knocked me into the car in front. The police arrived and blamed me for the whole affair because I was the only one with valid insurance. Nice to see we're having a World Cup in such a place. Attitudes to foreigners in the ME and other similar places leave a lot to be desired.
Redcar24

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the post Reply with quote

I am sorry for your accident but these kinds of reports are needed to stop innocent lives from being hurt by local drivers.....Whats more is these kind of things go unreported....only unless we report them and there is a record!

The police have done absolutely nothing to stop this kind of harassment and it is just becoming more and more dangerous.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Dorje Gurung case Reply with quote

That Dorje Gurung case is pretty scary. I wonder if most students stereotype and try to hurt people that look different. That is not a specific danger but is a diffused, low-key "danger" that can degrade one's quality of life. And that happened in the flag-ship Qatar Academy. What is it like in the more run-of-the-mill international schools or universities?

Im
Redcar24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: I hope it changes Reply with quote

Well was getting pretty bad but let's see now that the new Emir is in power

INSHALLAH
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet the New Boss... Same as the Old Boss...

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

One thing everyone should understand when they sign up for the Middle East, I've lived in 4 of its countries, is that they forego their right to equal treatment in said society.

Where I am now the locals have had pay rises, overtime, shortened work schedules, war pay etc etc and the 'foreigners' (ajnabee) have had nothing even though we have badge numbers just like our local hire Arabs. I could go on but it's pointless.

The Middle East is the most racist, unequal place in which I've ever lived.
awayfromhome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: I am so disappointed... Reply with quote

I'm not sure where Redcar is living but I have to say that, though life can be difficult, one of the pluses of Qatar is that it is safe and has a low crime rate, except for on the roads. Road rules are not treated as a joke but as nonexistant.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: I am so disappointed... Reply with quote

awayfromhome wrote:
I'm not sure where Redcar is living but I have to say that, though life can be difficult, one of the pluses of Qatar is that it is safe and has a low crime rate, except for on the roads. Road rules are not treated as a joke but as nonexistant.

I agree with most of this. Qatar is basically very safe, except for on the roads (which you should avoid driving on as much as possible), but the rules of the road are only non-existent for Qataris, not for unwastaful infidels such as ourselves. You might see a landcruiser mounting the pavement to avoid a traffic jam, or going at 250 kph, but don't think the police will let you away with it too, whitey! Very Happy
jaffa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article here about the prospects for Nepalese working in Qatar/insert any other gulf country:-

http://www.theguardian.com/glbal-development/2013/sep/25/qatar-nepalese-workers-poverty-camps
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 44 Nepalese construction workers died in Doha this summer...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/27/qatar-failing-forced-labour-un

The Indian construction workers have fared no better..

"Hundreds of thousands of Indians work in Qatar, where 1.2 million migrants are employed. The Indian ambassador in Qatar said 82 Indian workers died in the first five months of this year and 1,460 complained to the embassy about labour conditions and consular problems. More than 700 Indian workers died in Qatar between 2010 and 2012."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/27/indian-labourers-construction-site-qatar-abuse-revealed-guardian

Geronimo
jaffa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC took up the story yesterday and interviewed a deranged looking prince with crazed eyes. He of course denied all knowledge of such malpractice despite being in charge of the whole World Cup organisation. The ease with which they lie never fails to amaze.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: