Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Positions that pay 100K and Up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLIguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Males only $3800/month, tax-free, free housing etc.

That would be for contractor positions only. Direct hires make much more.
Trips

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Geez guys! I took a look at this one just because I was interested in seeing if there are $100,000/year jobs. A quick Google search shows a job for Aramco from the 16th of September. Males only $3800/month, tax-free, free housing etc. I saw an older one which is no long active which offered 52-78,000 dollars. As one may guess, the salaries seem to be decreasing. More folks with MA degrees, less jobs back home etc.

You weren't looking closely enough. It's 6k a month + 65%. Minimum. BA's are welcomed.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to go to Japan for that kind of money and get a job at a university as a visiting instructor or permanent hire.

I earned US $110,000 a year as a visiting instructor at one national university about 4 years ago. Mind you, $25,000 of that was in annual bonuses. There was also the $4,500 annual research budget that I received on top of that, along with subsidized housing. Most contract jobs pay in the $70,000 - $80,000 range, however.

I know gaijin university profs in Japan that are earning $120,000 a year at some private universities, have been here 20 years and that are now millionaires.

One needs to be lucky, but a doctorate isn't needed.

And women have a great chance at landing a $100,000 a year university job in Japan if they apply. Universities are specifically asking for more female applicants in job postings, especially national universities.
Wilsonthefarmer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Universities are specifically asking for more female applicants in job postings, especially national universities.

Why's that?
Are the universities in Japan short of female staff?
eartotheground

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Yes, why are female staff in such demand? What is the gender make-up of higher ed faculty in Japan?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
I know gaijin university profs in Japan that are earning $120,000 a year at some private universities, have been here 20 years and that are now millionaires.

Some, but very very few. Cream of the crop. Top names that are internationally known--a few of those names could be guessed.

But then university profs in the US could also make 120,000 a year if they are at the top of their game internationally.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I have 2 good friends at Aramco who work as contractors but for different outfits. Both are on $100,000. One of them more if he does overtime. That's the WHOLE package.
oxi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDB/NET in Hong Kong possible but...

... Usually after 4 or 5 years
.... You need PGCE
... You have to pay tax and housing
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aummua wrote:
Vinnell has had ads on this site, as have Raytheon, Aramco, and Booz Allen, albeit through recruiters. The application process is very easy but can take forever; it was more than a year between my application with Raytheon and my interview (but I only have a BA in English Linguistics).

All of these companies have job openings or agent profiles on their websites, so that's where I'd start. If I had an MA I'd hit up a TESOL Arabia conference.

Yes, a related MA + Mid East teaching experience will get you noticed at TESOL Arabia's job fair. However, the companies you listed (as well as other businesses) rarely recruit at TESOL Arabia---nearly all of the recruiters are from universities in the region. Uni TEFL positions are well compensated but don't come close to $100,000.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say the Uni positions don't come close ... but if you factor in the whole package including housing, those uni positions can actually exceed $100,000.

Salary $65-70,000
Gratuity $5-6,000
Housing $20-30,000
School Fees $10-20,000
Heath $1-5,000
Air Tickets $1-10,000

For a family with kids the whole package could be worth up to $140,000 tax free.

For a single guy, it's worth $95-100,000.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
Solar Strength wrote:

Some, but very very few. Cream of the crop. Top names that are internationally known--a few of those names could be guessed.

But then university profs in the US could also make 120,000 a year if they are at the top of their game internationally.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

No, they're not internationally known. And there is no cream of the crop pay scale at universities, you should know that.

All have master's degrees, too.

Glenski's posted the salaries at one point and 12 Million ~ 14 Million Yen for a Professor isn't unusual for private universities.

Those I know at national universities of course are earning much less but get great housing and family allowances and a rich retirement pay out - Think $220,000 or so.

Japan is the most lucrative TEFL destination in the world for permanent university hires. Nothing else compares.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
No, they're not internationally known. And there is no cream of the crop pay scale at universities, you should know that.

All have master's degrees, too.

Glenski's posted the salaries at one point and 12 Million ~ 14 Million Yen for a Professor isn't unusual for private universities.

Those I know at national universities of course are earning much less but get great housing and family allowances and a rich retirement pay out - Think $220,000 or so.

Japan is the most lucrative TEFL destination in the world for permanent university hires. Nothing else compares.

I do know that. When I mentioned "cream of the crop" I was referring to the people themselves and the work that they have done: T. Murphey? M. Helgesen? Those would be two names of people off the top of my head whom I would suspect would be in that salary range that you mentioned.

Sure, Japan "can" be the most lucrative TEFL destination in the world for permanent university hires.

I don't disagree with your post but the point is..."permanent university hires": very few foreigners holding such positions in Japan.

"One needs to be lucky". Yes, very lucky...not to mention being at the very top of one's game as well.

I do believe that one could get one of those plum positions with just a Master's but they would have to have quite the track record of publishing. A doctorate may not be needed but it would probably help one's chances much better in order to get one of the aforementioned permanent university positions.

I wonder what D. Barker and M. Benevides make these days.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: