Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current situation in Erbil Kurdistan???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caliph wrote:
Even as the US has halfheartedly started bombing, (but NO NO NO boots on the ground) along with some useless coalition partners, the war is still not going so well in the west.

In Kurdish areas, I'd start considering my options.

The ISIS could cut off escape options. Those options already seem to be getting more and more limited. This brings up my feelings, I have a very limited feeling about the rights of the ISIS. Ground troops used to safely get the Kurds out of the area then trap in the region and then elimination. Hopefully all the nutjob Americans, Australians, British, Canadians if any at all, partake in the ISIS destruction, we don't need them back anyway.
Van Gogh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: El Hobo Reply with quote

Thanks for the posting El Hobo, amazing... Where are you teaching? Please PM
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurdistan is a very dangerous place to be at the moment.....and the money isn't worth it either!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Argofoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know the current situation in Erbil, I heard there is a dearth of teachers and they're desperate for native English speakers? Is this the case? What are your thoughts? Where would be a great place to start for having just a bachelors in business and few years tutoring experience (not in a classroom :/ ). I'm an adventure nut so danger-wise I'm less sensitive than most (but not without reason).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
I'd like to know the current situation in Erbil... Where would be a great place to start for having just a bachelors in business and few years tutoring experience (not in a classroom :/ ). I'm an adventure nut so danger-wise I'm less sensitive than most (but not without reason).

An unrelated degree, lack of a (credible) TEFL cert, and zero classroom teaching experience isn't likely to get your CV a second look. Besides, employers are looking for qualified teachers who can focus on teaching and not adrenaline junkies seeking an adventure.

Your only option in this region is with a Saudi contracting company. However, any company that will hire a complete newbie is one you won't want to work for. That said, most newbies head to Japan, Korea, or China to build their first few years of experience.
Argofoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is contrary to what I heard from someone working on the ground there with whom I shared a long conversation and had come to understood there are opportunities (at least with Sabis). In any case, how far would a CELTA go there? At the least, it would seem that it can help with getting ready for the classroom, but in terms of employment/advancement, what is it worth?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In any case, how far would a CELTA go there? At the least, it would seem that it can help with getting ready for the classroom, but in terms of employment/advancement, what is it worth?

CELTA is a basic, entry-level certification, and it will help you get entry level jobs that require certification (most everywhere outside Asia requires certification as a bare minimum qual). What do you expect from a 30-day training course?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
This is contrary to what I heard from someone working on the ground there with whom I shared a long conversation and had come to understood there are opportunities (at least with Sabis).

What opportunities are you referring to? Teaching subject matter to children? If so, take a look at "Sabis School Kurdistan" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=75163). Plus, the CELTA is designed for teaching English to adults and not content to children.
Argofoto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is quite the thread, thanks for the info. From what my friend told me, it's a tough job with Sabis, but there are promotion possibilities, and he loves it but perhaps it will change come end of the contract. Then again, perhaps Sabis is trying to improve its reputation!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
Then again, perhaps Sabis is trying to improve its reputation!

Don't count on it.

Want to know more about Sabis in general? See the following:
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are Arab, preferably Lebanese, there isn't much of a possibility for promotion. Also, it is a big negative to future employers to have Sabis on your CV. Their system is not respected by the more legitimate international schools.

VS
Argofoto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Unless you are Arab, preferably Lebanese, there isn't much of a possibility for promotion. Also, it is a big negative to future employers to have Sabis on your CV. Their system is not respected by the more legitimate international schools.

VS

I think you mean Arab is preferred outside of Kurdistan (heard they don't like Arabs) but I guess it doesn't matter which Sabis you taught at, if that name appears in a resume it is negative regardless. Thanks for your info.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabis comes out of Lebanon... thus that is why in the vast majority management is Lebanese.

VS
cartago

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Kurdistan and have been here for nearly 2 years. I still consider it to be quite safe. I'm surprised to hear Erbil is no longer considered safe. I don't live there but have been may times including a couple visits last month.
danmbob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update?

Last edited by danmbob on Sat May 06, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: