Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asian-American EFL teachers in the Middle East
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychedelicacy:

My comment about Arab students being aware of diversity in other parts of world had nothing to do with them being book smart. Given this digital age, they're quite familiar with pop culture (sports and music and film industries), especially from the US. My students told me they watched "House," "Oprah," "Desperate Housewives," and other TV shows and movies out of the US. They know the latest tunes by Pharrell Williams ("Happy"), Beyonce, Adele, Gaga, Usher, Super Junior (Korean boy band), and a bunch of others I'd never heard of.

When it comes to understanding diversity and tolerating cultural ambiguity, I'm no slouch in that department. I've posted in a couple of other threads that I'd lived in 5 countries by the time I was 14---one of those countries is in Europe and is my birthplace. I'm a US citizen born abroad as well as a third-culture kid (AKA cultural chameleon). I became used to stares and even strangers touching me as a young child while living in Asia because I looked "different." In terms of being mixed, I'm a racial hodge-podge---a mutt---and can blend into a variety of countries, especially developing ones. However, I definitely don't look "European."

You're correct in your explanation about people asking about ethnicity, nationality, and heritage. However, this is nothing new to those of us who have been answering those types of questions since we were kids; it's something we're used to. When I travel, I'm always asked about my nationality and family background (some people don't believe I'm from the US), and when I'm stateside, my fellow Americans have often asked "What are you?" Or "Is your mother Japanese or Filipina?" (Not even close.) Or "Were you adopted?" Or "Where did you learn to speak English so well?" Seriously. I've been asked these questions and more throughout my life, and I'm sure the OP has gotten the cultural heritage question from other Americans during her lifetime. It's so commonplace that it's a non-issue for many of us. (I can sometimes predict when I'm about to be asked such a question based on the way the person is looking at me.)

With my Saudi students, I played "guess my nationality" with them. They quickly recognized my accent as American and subsequently, we moved on to some cool learning activities. No sweat. Anyway, the position that Arabs associate English with white people doesn't take into consideration my Swiss, Russian, and the Albanian teaching colleagues with their obviously-accented English. That led to some disappointment.

Khalas. The OP will be fine if she keeps her expectations low (realistic), is patient, and maintains a healthy sense of humor.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, the position that Arabs associate English with white people doesn't take into consideration my Swiss, Russian, and the Albanian teaching colleagues with their obviously-accented English. That led to some disappointment.

But they aren't native English speakers. It's my position that Arab learners expect native English speaker teachers to be white, not that Arab learners expect all white people to be native English speakers.

Quote:
My comment about Arab students being aware of diversity in other parts of world had nothing to do with them being book smart. Given this digital age, they're quite familiar with pop culture (sports and music and film industries), especially from the US. My students told me they watched "House," "Oprah," "Desperate Housewives," and other TV shows and movies out of the US. They know the latest tunes by Pharrell Williams ("Happy"), Beyonce, Adele, Gaga, Usher, Super Junior (Korean boy band), and a bunch of others I'd never heard of.

And there are also a great many who know nothing at all about Western pop culture because they take no interest in it (in many cases because it is haram).

Quote:
Or "Were you adopted?" Or "Where did you learn to speak English so well?"

I didn't have anything in mind quite that offensive.

I once observed a class when an Asian teacher had the following exchange with a student:

Where are you from?
London.
Really?
Yes.
Where are you originally from?
London. I was born in London.
Where is your mother from?
Hong Kong.
etc.

For those particular learners, the fact that the teacher was ethnically Chinese and a native English speaker was a novelty.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
I once observed a class when an Asian teacher had the following exchange with a student:

Where are you from?
London.
Really?
Yes.
Where are you originally from?
London. I was born in London.
Where is your mother from?
Hong Kong.
etc.

For those particular learners, the fact that the teacher was ethnically Chinese and a native English speaker was a novelty.

Possibly. Yet a white teacher with a head of flaming red hair could be perceived as a novelty as well, regardless of his/her English proficiency. Ditto for a teacher with an eccentric personality. Or one who bears a resemblance to Barack Obama. Or...

Anyway, fortunately for you, as an Anglo, the experience of being a non-white, native English speaking teacher is something you'll never have to encounter. And again, this experience is not some new revelation for those of us who have had similar dialogs and questions posed to us umpteen times throughout our lives while abroad and in our home countries. Frankly, as a single female with no children, I find inquiries about my marital status and children to be tiresome.
water rat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Lots of things become tiresome in the Gulf... like the British teachers repetitious comment about how you (me... him/her over there - who happen to be American) can't possibly teach English since
The best retort to such comments:
If ever there were a people who should not be allowed to travel outside their own country - it's the Brits.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
Lots of things become tiresome in the Gulf... like the British teachers repetitious comment about how you (me... him/her over there - who happen to be American) can't possibly teach English since
The best retort to such comments:
If ever there were a people who should not be allowed to travel outside their own country - it's the Brits.

Considering some of my compatriots that I have encountered in my world travels, that may also be true of way too many... Laughing

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Brits" are not a homogeneous group. Some can be quite civilised. The same might even be said of our cousins from over the Pond.
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Warning*** Hitch hiking of thread will began in three...
two...
one...

Cousin Scot, I agree. I am always reminded of the Japanese when I read the word. "homogeneous". I have never met a more homogeneous group than the Japanese. They have to work very hard to find the "oneness" within themselves. They will even separate themselves on some matters (employment, for example) with those that were from the group of people that were native to the islands and those who's family came over from the mainland of Asia thousands of years ago.

O-genki desu ka?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Asian-American EFL teachers in the Middle East Reply with quote

Edit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: